+ Reply to Thread

power supply rattle when not on.

Ok I just built a computer with the help of the guys on the video card section here. I ended up with a antec 620w Newegg.com - Antec NEO ECO 620C 620W Continuous Power ATX12V v2.3 / EPS12V 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply anyways When I got the computer together and started it up first time I heard a loud grinding sound for like 1-2 seconds then it ran fine. Its ran fine since not heard it again once so I assumed maybe the fan was just seized up or something when it first started and it took a sec to start working.
    Anyways when I Finished putting it together and moved it to my room after doing all the stuff I noticed a rattle in my case. I thought I left a screw inside took off the side checked and realized the rattle was inside my PSU. its running perfect, silent and everything is good so my question is the rattle inside that sounds like I left a screw in there just the PSU fan Its a Double ball bearing fan is it maybe just that and everything is fine? or should I be concerned cause Like I said it runs perfect so far and I love my new comp

PS big shout out to ShyguyXPC and Stroyal for putting up with 2 weeks of questions as I build the thing .

The Jiggawatts, Marty! tony_j15's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I'd say there's a chance you might have dropped a screw or some other small bit of metal/plastic through one of the fan grills. If that is the case, disconnecting the power supply and shaking out the odd bit of junk should fix the problem.
    All 1.21 of them.

Its possible the loud grinding sound was the fan hitting something and the rattle is either a piece of fan blade, or part of whatever it was hitting...
    Take it out and shake out the loose piece and inspect what you can see with a flashlight

I highly doubt its the fan blade cause the fan is running smooth as can be but yeah ill check tommorow see what comes out Im like 95% sure its metal so imma guess a screw cause the sound it was making was the sale as when I was installing other stuff and dropped a screw into the case. but we will see tommorow.

If a small piece of fan blade broke off, it could still run smooth.
    I'd check all the blades, to be sure.
    If it is a piece of metal, I wouldn't shake it around, is might short, something out.

Even if you shake it around, when off, it might settle in the wrong place, and when you turn it on, could cause a short.
    Hard Sayin Not Knowin

PC Upgrade Procrastinator ShyguyXPC's Avatar
    more like try tilting it to so settles in a corner and see if you can take it out via the fan holes.

The four screws that are the closest to the edge where the fan is, are the screws that hold the PSU housing on, the four inner screws are what hold the fans guard onto the housing.

you might need to take the housing off the PSU to take out whatever is rattling inside.

Though not sure if That will void the warranty.

If your unsure about doing that, I'd see if you ran Return it to Newegg for a new one that doesn't rattle.
    i7 940//Corsair H60//EVGA X58 SLI LE//6GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz//2x EVGA GTX 560 Ti FPB SLI//NZXT Hale82 850W//CM 690 II Advanced//Win7 64//WD 74GB V-raptor, 750GB Black, 1.5TB Green

TechIMO Folding@home Team #111 - Crunching for the cure!

Somehow Even though I literly took it out of the box and put it in immediatly. and the fan opening points downward It was an extra screw from my case. I unscrewed one the back plate on the psu and pulled the grate back just enough to get it out all is well.

PS. I love this PSU this thing is so silent that after putting it back together from getting the screw out I took it back out and turned it on outside the case to make sure the fan was actually running It was but Its literly dead silent. Imma have to recomment this PSU to anyone I know building a comp. and again TY guys for all the help especially shyguy who helped me pick out everything and then played tech support for my graphics card earlier.

yep, those units are quiet, the 520 and 400W models I have are just as quiet.
    i7 940//Corsair H60//EVGA X58 SLI LE//6GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz//2x EVGA GTX 560 Ti FPB SLI//NZXT Hale82 850W//CM 690 II Advanced//Win7 64//WD 74GB V-raptor, 750GB Black, 1.5TB Green

There could be a piece of debris left over from manufacturing that didn't get blown out.

I'd open up the thing and get rid of it in case it causes a problem down the road.
    Government is a disease pretending to be a cure!

The Jiggawatts, Marty! tony_j15's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TheUsualSuspect View Post
    Somehow Even though I literly took it out of the box and put it in immediatly. and the fan opening points downward It was an extra screw from my case. I unscrewed one the back plate on the psu and pulled the grate back just enough to get it out all is well.
    Cool. I'm glad you were able to easily solve the problem.
    All 1.21 of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuckiechan View Post
    There could be a piece of debris left over from manufacturing that didn't get blown out.

I'd open up the thing and get rid of it in case it causes a problem down the road.
    Bit late on the reply.

Quote Originally Posted by TheUsualSuspect View Post

PS. I love this PSU this thing is so silent that after putting it back together from getting the screw out I took it back out and turned it on outside the case to make sure the fan was actually running It was but Its literly dead silent. Imma have to recomment this PSU to anyone I know building a comp. and again TY guys for all the help especially shyguy who helped me pick out everything and then played tech support for my graphics card earlier.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What is 10 and 5 added together?

Thread Information