+ Reply to Thread
    bdj

Angry New Macbook problems.

I posted an issue with my Macbook about a month ago, about the screen going blank. I replaced the HDD; reinstall Snow Leopard and everything worked fine. Now however the LCD screen is dead again, but it is not the HDD, or motherboard or video output. I can get video out of the DVI video port. The problem is the LCD screen that was replaced about six months ago under Apple's flat fee service is dead.

I went to two different Apple stores, and they both refused to help me. The stated that aside the fact that the replacement were past the flat fee 90 day warranty period, the Macbook was out side of their serviceable period.

I sent the letter below to Tim Cook via registered mail with return receipt. This last Friday I received a phone call from a Josie at Apple. She claimed to be at the executive level, possibly an assistant to Mr. Cook. We talk for about a half an hour. She said that she would call me back on Monday. She call me back today, told me that company call Intosh will diagnose the problem for free, but I will have to pay the cost of replacement. This is unacceptable. I believe that if the screen was a new screen, it should last more then six months. When I asked if there was any one else I could talk to, Josie said that this was the highest level in the company.

Please do not respond with anything about the 90 day warranty. A 90 day warranty is there to protect the company not the customer. It's there only to appease the customer. From this point in time going forward, I will no longer purchase any Apple products. or recommend any to my friends.

Please see below the letter.

BDJ

Tim Cook March 09, 2012
    Apple Computers
    Cupertino, Ca.

Mr. Cook,

I am writing this letter because of my total dissatisfaction with the customer support I have received from both your Apple stores and telephone support. As a brief intro to my knowledge, I have been involved in the computer industry for over 30 years both as a field service tech and telephone tech support. I am currently employed as web tech support person for my company. I am able to diagnose hardware problems as part of my current position.

Relating to my current issue, I own a Core Duo 17” Macbook Pro. It is approximately five year old, well beyond the original warranty period. In August of last year, I brought it into the Topanga Mall Apple Store. They preformed a flat fee service on it. Enclosed is a copy of the services and parts. About two week ago, I had finished for the night and shut down the Macbook. The next day, the LCD screen was dead. No video or back light. The LCD screen was one of the parts replaced in the aforementioned service. There is video coming out of the DVI video port, so it is not a video card or motherboard problem. I understand that there is a 90 day warranty on the service, but to have a new LCD screen go bad in six months is not acceptable. I have LCD monitors at home and at work that are older than five years, and they still work fine.

As a result, I took my Macbook back to the Thousand Oaks Apple Store. They looked up the serial number and service history. They told me that I was beyond the 90 day warranty
    period, and that it was also beyond the corporate serviceable period, they do not service any Macbooks that old. I was told I had the option of either taking it to an authorized Apple repair station to have the LCD replaced, at cost of approximately $450.00, or to buy a new Macbook, neither of which is an acceptable option. Afterwards, I called your SOS APPL number, and spoke with a technician, who was also unable to offer a reasonable solution. When I asked to speak to a supervisor or manager, he told me in no uncertain terms that he was the highest person available to speak to; I politely said good bye, and hung up.

I have been a long time apple consumer. I had an Apple 2+ and an Apple 2e, which I eventually donated to my sons’ elementary school. I had purchased two 13” Macbook Pros for my boys when they went off to college in the belief that this was best choice for their needs. Thankfully they have not had any problems. As both a professional in the industry and a consumer, I would expect that there should be the ability to rectify this problem. I would like to have a NEW LCD screen installed, and the computer tested for any other problems that were not covered in the initial flat fee service at no cost to me. If we cannot come to some kind of solution to my problem with my Macbook, this will be the last time I purchase any Apple products and Apple will go to the top of my DO NOT RECOMENNED LIST when any of my friends or colleagues ask for computer recommendations as dependable service is as important if not more so than a good product. Thank you for your attention in this matter.

Regards.

The Jiggawatts, Marty! tony_j15's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    You are complaining about a three month warranty on a part that was installed for you on a five year old laptop?

Would a PC manufacturer like Dell or HP even do a repair like this on a product five years old?
    All 1.21 of them.

bdj
    to Tony j15,

I am complaining about the fact that a "new" LCD screen was installed in my Mac book, and it failed after only six months. It doesn't matter if the the Macbook is five days or five years old. The LCD screen should not have failed that quick. To have paid $300.00 for the original service, and six months later to pay an additional $450.00 to replace an LCD screen that should not have fail is totally not acceptable.

bdj

PC Upgrade Procrastinator ShyguyXPC's Avatar
    Question... Even if you are able to get the LCD replaced with yet another new one, for free... what happens if that LCD also fails in another 6 months?

Would you try to get that replaced as well, or just buck up and get a newer Laptop with a better more dependable track record, as well as fully covered under a new warranty?

I'm by no means an Apple Fan (though I admit some of they're products are nice for certain groups of Consumers), and your experience with them doesn't surprise me one bit, as I have read and even heard from people I know of, that have been given a similar run around (one of the reasons Why I have yet to jump on some of the nice deals on older refurbed Apple Products from sites like Geeks.com, afraid of what I would have to do to get something fixed on it).

But just wondering what you would do with the scenario if the 3rd LCD also went bad after 6 months, or even a year?

If you'd replace that, or just get a newer more dependable laptop?

I agree the replacement fee's are absurd, as well as pricing, and the parts should last more than 6 months. But it is a 5 Year old Laptop, well beyond the average life expectancy and warranty terms of most laptops these days. And based on the lack luster efforts to correct the problem from Apple, I think you pretty much have your answer on what to do.
    i7 940//Corsair H60//EVGA X58 SLI LE//6GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz//2x EVGA GTX 560 Ti FPB SLI//NZXT Hale82 850W//CM 690 II Advanced//Win7 64//WD 74GB V-raptor, 750GB Black, 1.5TB Green

TechIMO Folding@home Team #111 - Crunching for the cure!

Super Stealthy Moderator RicheemxX's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Not to sound harsh here but c'mon contacting someone at the executive level about warranty repair complaints and complaining because they throw you a bone only Apple owners!

I've got to be one of the the harshest critics of Apple out there but I have to agree 100% with Shy on this one it really sounds like you are grasping at straws.
    Be a Liberal, blame everyone else!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bdj View Post
    to Tony j15,

I am complaining about the fact that a "new" LCD screen was installed in my Mac book, and it failed after only six months.
    Are you sure it is the screen that has failed? Just because the DVI output works doesn't mean that the screen connector hasn't broken down. I realize and agree that it is more likely to be the screen itself that is bad, but since we're dealing with a five year old laptop (and these things take beatings routinely) it never hurts to check. It sounds like Josie was doing you a favor by offering to diagnose (check all your hardware) the issue for free.
    It sounds like very decent customer service. Again, what is the chance that a PC company like Dell or HP would work with you on this?
    All 1.21 of them.

Quote Originally Posted by RicheemxX View Post
    Not to sound harsh here but c'mon contacting someone at the executive level about warranty repair complaints and complaining because they throw you a bone only Apple owners!

I've got to be one of the the harshest critics of Apple out there but I have to agree 100% with Shy on this one it really sounds like you are grasping at straws.
    seconded. i am reading more QQ than pew pew here. Id say quit wasting your efforts to get a free ride and make your overdue for a replacement laptop last even longer. Buy a new one and be done with.

TechIMO Folding@home Team #111 - Crunching for the cure!

bdj
    Originally this was my older son's Mac. The LCD screen started to flake on him, so I bought him a new 13" Mac, and took the 17" one. I'm not going to do anything more with this laptop. I can still use the DVI output to a monitor. But the question of reliability is not only with Apple. I would still have the same issue with any companies laptop.

As for going to the executive level, I started at the local stores and worked my way up. Apple was not will to take any responsibility for the possibility that the LCD screen might have been defective.

Super Stealthy Moderator RicheemxX's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Apple was not will to take any responsibility for the possibility that the LCD screen might have been defective.
    I beg to differ here. They aren't willing to provide free replacement or repair service for something out of warranty. That is totally different than the possibility of a defective product! They are already offering to diagnose the problem for free I'm not sure what else you'd want a top tier company to do.

Its really a matter of splitting hairs here but given the age of the laptop I'd guess they might have used a refurbished screen as your replacement and it might have died. But again the way I'm reading this Apple has for the most part provided pretty good service.

As someone in the "computer industry for over 30 years both as a field service tech and telephone tech support" Do you think any company would provide anything any better?? I can't name any company out there that would even bother responding to an out of warrant complaint from the ex. level. So IMO that is pretty above and beyond!!

edit: I hate that I'm on Apple's side on anything (well any major company for that matter)
    Last edited by RicheemxX; March 19th, 2012 at 07:09 PM.
    Be a Liberal, blame everyone else!!

Goverment property now GroundZero3's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Shouldn't you be going to the Topanga Mall Apple Store that installed this new display on your macbook and asking why your display is dead again? Did you understand the warranty on the parts when you made the purchase?

Worse case did you pay for the repairs with a credit card? If so some have that extended warranty protection that will give an extra year warranty on the part that failed. Might be checking that out if you did that.

Im not really sure what you are expecting Tim Cook to do about your 5 year old laptop.

Blog Entries
    Perhaps the first thing you need to properly ascertain is whether the screen was new or a refurbishment product. That will help in determining how long the product should last.

I would also take them up on that offer for the diagnosis. It could be a connection that has been shot out (which might have also been the cause of the original screen).

Also, I don't know about the US, but some other EU countries have a consumer law whereby if a product doesn't last a reasonable length of time for which it was designed, you can challenge the company in court.

Finally, this thing about the laptop being 5 years old is a poor excuse. If I had shelled out thousands on an Apple laptop (remember, these are the guys who are always going on about how great their products are) I would be keeping it for as long as its specifications met my needs (which is why I suppose you are using it in the first place). Most of us get a new computer or 'upgrade' with our current machine struggles to accommodate our requirements, not necessarily because a computer is 'old'.

Blog Entries
    Finally, this thing about the laptop being 5 years old is a poor excuse. If I had shelled out thousands on an Apple laptop (remember, these are the guys who are always going on about how great their products are) I would be keeping it for as long as its specifications met my needs
    I see you drank the kool-ade. Marketing doesn't mean a thing. All that matters is warranty. It's out of the warranty coverage area. End of story. If it was brand new, it would still be under warranty, he would have got it fixed, and we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Your suggestions are great, though. Figure out if the screen is new or refurb, and take them up on the diagnostic offer.
    All 1.21 of them.

bdj
    GroundZero3,

The topanga store did not do the repairs. They sent it out to a repair station, so going back there to have them fix it is not the answer. Also, I contacted the 3rd party Apple service center that Josie recommended, they would do the diagnostic on the Macbook for free regardless of any Apple intervention. So the only benefit form Apple's Josie is that I now know of this repair station.

bdj

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What is 10 and 5 added together?

Thread Information