+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    I'm running Windows 98se and use a freeware called Spider to dump that History DAT file contents, internet temp files, temp files, and cookies. Its quick and easy.

I go into the registry and dump the deleted items folder from OE.

But now you know what the FBI are looking for when they seize computers!

Hi everybody, a few months ago, I've deleted in DOS the index.dat file located under TIF\Content.IE5, no problem. When I've rebooted, it took longer than usual and when I checked my TIF folder (with Windows Commander, shows everything "hidden" by MS and allows to view contents of *all* files with a powerful lister), I had 4 brand-new sub-folders, totally empty and the old folders were deleted but windows\cookies remains intact, no cookies deleted. So I think it's not necessary to "deltree" and wait for a long time, simply delete index.dat in DOS and reboot. (I run Win98).
    Pierre.

Isn't this the exact same article that is posted at f*ckmicrosoft.com? I tried to follow the recommendations of this article, but none of the commands worked in win2k or xp. Can anyone tell me how to perform the same cleaning functions in 2k/xp?

Even the command to change directory to where the folder is didn't work because the folder is in some other location.

For 2k, just get a 98/ME boot disk and drop to DOS. From there it will be in the c:\document~1\user....yada dada. Just convert the file names to the 8 char or whatever they are and you can delete em. I suggest viewing it in win explorer, and writing down teh path, because at least for me it was a little long.

and yeah, it is basically the same article...although less indepth i think

Washer Keep Cookies-Option

Aloha
    I am currently using washerv4.0.Just click on IE~Options\Cookie~keep----Also allows you to View the cookies VERY COOOL!!

Ok, so I found these files in the method BBA suggested. However, I am looking at these files and most of them are *.gif files. Maybe I don't understand, but what is the threat in this? They are just little icons, pictures, etc.

There are other files also, but the are just numbered like [1], [2], [some_number], etc. When I click on them windows says it cant open them because it doesnt know what type of file they are. Are these the files that are security threats? Meaning, the ones that contain info that could be gleamed for our surfing habits, personal info, etc.

^ bump ^

Anyone? These files seem harmless. I could be wrong. If they include any info that indicates my surfing habits in anyway I'll nuke 'em. The reason I ask is so I can decide if I should continue to delete these on a regular basis.

I don't think there is any evidence that those files and folders are used to "track" you beyond what IE already does when you are surfing. But because they DO exist, there is always that possibility.

You may be able to delete them when you're offline, but the only way to be "totally" secure is to pull out your modem and NICS and smash them with a hammer...

In my opinion, it's a big pain in the a to keep these hidden folders on the machine. I ran a virus scan and it spent 15 minutes on folders contained within "\content.IE5".

I want to keep all of my cookies, because IE6 blocks the ones I don't want anyways. I believe you can do what Fingers suggested in Win2k, but I'm not sure. If not, I'll get that software for now.

BBA
    Fingers and Dr. Vette....

going in through a dos boot disk and deltree the folders they are in does not work.

Doc, the folders they are in for W2K and XP are dynamically named folders under:

"c:\Documents and Settings\Local Settings\username\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\folder name"

You have to remove system/hidden/read only attributes to access them from dos, and the content will be there even after dos reports it as being deleted. You have to delete the DAT files or windows will recreate the files on bootup!

A copy of the dat files are also copied into the History folder under your profile also.

In otherwords, MS made it really hard to get rid of them. Overwriting the files is mandatory to delete them, and windows will still think they are still there.

Windows Washer may be able to do this...I might give it a try.
    BBA

Ultimate Member Richard Cranium's Avatar
    Does it work in Win98 or any O/S ?

I got the info from a HP tech in 98 when my Pavillaturd got so slow it was worse than pathetic. The deltree temp got it back up to frozen molasses speed times

Yes Windows Washer cleans the files in those folders.

http://www.sysopt.com/forum/showthre...ghlight=hidden

Ok, ok, so what is the bottom line here?

Jad, so I followed that old sysopt link, and socalgal recommends this proggy spider. I dl'ed it and ran it. I showed all the same stuff as listed in socal's post. It asked if I wanted to reboot to delete them all, so I did.

However, the first thing I did when I was back on was the run the proggy again to see if it would find anything. Sure enough, all the same stuff was still there. What's the deal?

And, when I started up IE and came to techimo, I was logged on yet, but the auto-complete feature knew my name and password the second I entered the first character, so that info is obviously still there also.

To cut to the chase, can I really delete these files or not? Will windows just recreate them at boot-up? How did it know my info? The files obvioulsy didnt get deleted.......

Try Windows Washer, not spider. WW cleans everything out for me.

Many people swear by this window washer and I'm sure it works very well, but I'd like to know if it is possible to peform the same tasks it does manually.

I realize it may be a cumbersome task, but I want to know how for the purpose of learning. Is it a simple as just deleting the contents of "c:\.......content.ie5" ?

I realize this may be a matter of opinion, but is there any real security risk here, assuming that someone could have access to the contents of this folder to search for information? The contents of these "hidden" folders seem to be mostly images.

HAHA

When I clear my history, there is nothing M$ can do to stop me from CLEARING my HISTORY. I WIPE MY DRIVE CLEAN!!!!

Well, as you all know, Your harddisk contains information of everything you've done basically. If you know what your doing you can find all sorts of info. on someone based on their harddrive. When you format your hardrive you actually don't get rid of all the info. some of it can actually be retrived. Who knows, maybe they track everything in case the government needs your comp. to prove your the new cyber hacker, that launched all our missiles at some unsuspcting country. Just in case I keep in a class case besides my comp. at all times. "Break glass in case the Fed's are coming and swing axe at computer!"

LOL. Even deleting the partitions and rebuilding them doesn't get rid of it?? Maybe I shoudl do a low-level format!! The everything is a zero!!!

That may be the only way, but hey don't do anything illegal and you don't have to worry anything about it. Btw hey Bill if you are tracking everything I am doing then what site was at before this one?

Prof. of DooGlian Studies MegalosSkylaki's Avatar
    So let me pose a seemingly naive--but brilliantly profound--hypothetical:

Brginning with asssumption that Bee Gee is interested in only two things:

MONEY and POWER

Yeah! I know , a far-fetched assuption but humor me a moment.

QUESTION: How would The Gates of Hell increase his WEALTH and POWER by doing this ??

To restate the adage, "To hunt a game , you have to do so how it lives" as "To hunt the Beast, you have to do so how it's Hunting You".

How do these spies we turn on in the morning increase his WEALTH and POWER ?

DOOOG

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What is the color of the sky?

Thread Information