+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Average CPU speed?

More questions for you guys. I gotta learn somehow.

What is considered the average as far as processor speeds go?

Beyond that, what is considered to be a "decent" speed for processors these days?

Once again, all help is always appreciated.

Considering proccessor speeds double about every 18 months, it quite difficult to keep up with the curve.

If you look at the market today, most new proccessors are anywhere between 1.0g and 3.0(PIV) which would make the average about 2.0g.

There is a big difference by which AMD and Intel view their speeds. Attached below is a cpu comparison from Tom's Hardware Guide. An AMD XP 2400+ is really a 2.0g cpu but it compares to the speed of a Pentium IV 2.4g.

http://www6.tomshardware.com/cpu/200...charts-23.html

You also have to look at price vs. performance or where does your money make sense as far as speed is concerned.

Here are the actual speeds of AMD XP proccessors.

http://www.newegg.com/app/manufactor...codevalue=4159

Average speed is around 600-700MHz .. any CPU with these speeds will do almost any task you though at it, and almost any application or game in the market now ...

Decent speed is P4 above 1.8GHz or AMD XP above 1.4GHz in my opinion, for newer games, video editing and heavy tasks in general ..

Its all a matter of personal opinion and what the CPU is intended to be used for ..

Retired mostly.
    I think average is 66% of the fastest processor available. That would sound reasonable. (average in the field)
    Of course there are loads of people who still have 300Mhz computers and are completely happy with those.
    So real average might be 33% of the fastest available.

Decent is 1.4-2.0GHz IMO, I have 1.533GHz in my gaming computer and it's perfect for it's job.
    -M

Cruizing
    Originally posted by KenKun
    Average speed is around 600-700MHz .. any CPU with these speeds will do almost any task you though at it, and almost any application or game in the market now ...

Decent speed is P4 above 1.8GHz or AMD XP above 1.4GHz in my opinion, for newer games, video editing and heavy tasks in general ..

Its all a matter of personal opinion and what the CPU is intended to be used for ..
    I agree with Ken I think that is a fair statement on average current speed, perhaps even increasing it to 600 - 800Mhz. Even the latest games that come out now days you will be able to run on this specification, perhaps not well with some games.

thanks

Ultimate Member
    Hard to say nowadays....cuz the speed of the hardware has far outraced the speed needed by applications.....so lots of peeps have comps that are several years old.

Now of course in these forums peeps buy new stuff a LOT more often than joe citizen...you CANT take these forums as any kind of average.

Where I live its not a high tech town at all so you see lotssssssssssss of peeps with P2s etc.

As a matter of fact, while trying to avoid a long discussion on "poverty mentality" and things like that...I see things quite often that we here in the forums would think were pretty weird...and i mean OFTEN....things like this.

Lots of peeps here have the total cable setup with the TV cable and internet cable etc....BUT the have pentium 1 !!! comps. Like this guy I know, he was asking me if I could upgrade him TO 166Mhz so he could use cable??? Hehe, weird huh, you got the worlds slowest computer and you got a cable connection.

Or the peeps few days ago that came to look at some comps I had...then they started asking about upgrades cuz their daughter had cable and evidently her hard drive is full now etc etc....I imagine its a pentium 1 with a 1g hard drive.

So you see that sometimes its hard to say what the AVERAGE person would do.

For comparison I have one of the slowest comps in these forums....an Athlon classic slotA 950, 384M Pc133, 16m tnt etc....thats slow for you guys but plenty fast for all that I do on it.

(it is a little miffing when I take someones P2 and upgrade it mobo,cpu,ram etc to a Duron 1.1g and it SMOKES my system, lol)

JP
    "Even a fool is thought to be wise if he is silent"

Hehehehe i got ya

I currently run :
    main rig - Athlon SlotA 700 with a 64 meg vid card and runs BF1942 well and NWN with graphics cut in half...
    laptop - P2 233
    2nd rig P2 333...

I think If i upgrade my vid card and maybe more ram I have 256 now i would run NWN at high res and BF1942 faster. but it does all that i want... Thinking about trying to over clock it then if i hurt it i have to get a newer faster one ..right?
    You know dog spelled backwards is god.....

coincidence ..... i think not.

the *Voice* in your Head PresterJohn's Avatar
    >What is considered the average as far as processor speeds go?

when you say average, i think you need to consider what context the machine is used for.

for example, gamers typically have a much faster cpu than someone like a secretary who uses a computer for email and office docs. even in businesses, i see a wide range of cpu power depending on the size of the operation and what they run on their desktops. for home users, a lot depends on how many users there are in the household...obviously the more people, the more likely the "trickle-down" scenario becomes likely.

for the longest time up (until about a year ago), my primary pc was a p2-400mhz, no fancy video card, etc...but it did everything i needed it to. and when i upgraded, it was to a p3-1ghz. certainly not cutting edge by any means.

we actually have one of the old Apple IIe working here at my work.. It has one thing to do and it does it , though a little slow LOL
    You know dog spelled backwards is god.....

coincidence ..... i think not.

My current comp is a 1.8Ghz pentium 4, I guess I'm still in the average. ^_^;;

lol@ john prophets post...
    That's only funny, or not funny really because it's so true.
    Have an out of state uncle that had blazing fast cable, but on a p2/450 ran about as slow as dial-up.
    I visited him, and built a XP system for him, and he was shocked how fast the internet was now! And, it made a huge difference, even running speedtest type of things from the internet there was a 10x difference.
    dragonb

the "sweet" spot is generally what i would accept as "average" clock speed, which is about 2.4Ghz for the P4 and 2100+ for the Athlon XP. Those two speeds will get you the most bang for you buck at this point, although definately not budget machines. If a client comes to me looking for a "average" computer that won't make them homeless I would suggest the 2.4Ghz P4.

-Chris

Originally posted by John Prophet
    For comparison I have one of the slowest comps in these forums....an Athlon classic slotA 950, 384M Pc133, 16m tnt etc....thats slow for you guys but plenty fast for all that I do on it.

(it is a little miffing when I take someones P2 and upgrade it mobo,cpu,ram etc to a Duron 1.1g and it SMOKES my system, lol)
    i know all too well what you mean. i have a P3 850, yet I sell Dells and custom builds around 2.0Ghz - 2.4Ghz. weird eh?

-Chris

That always used to annoy me as well. But in the end mine did what it needed to at the time, this one I have now does it better, but I couldn't afford some of the systems I sold so I was stuck with mine.
    _____
    NuKeS

For the time being, I've got a P3 700. I plan to upgrade it soon, though. It's sad being the slowest machine in the building at LAN parties (even slower than the machine tossed in the closet so I'd have space to set up).

For most non-heavy games (Warcraft when not looking at a bunch of units, UT2K3, BF 1942, etc), it's still OK, though.

gaming aside, i would say the average comp is, IMO, around a 1gHz system. if you throw gaming into the mix i would say pretty much what everyone else is saying (*sniff* i'm falling behind with an xp1700+. but oh well i'm still very happy)

I have just built a 1300 Duron for my daughter & it is quite fast!!!! More than you will need for anything except maybe the latest game & video editing. Those things would still be possible though, just not ideal(i.e. slow).

$AU 550 for the box . .ie no monitor etc
    =~ $US 325.

pete
    Last edited by PETE; April 2nd, 2003 at 05:40 PM.

Ultimate Member
    I have to agree...a 1gig or 1.2g duron is a monster for most people....were talking joe average comp user....look at the thousands of dead slow hp766 cellys with ME and 64m ram out there....they are into the swap file as soon as they boot up......these peeps wouldnt know what to do with the speed of a duron 1g with 256 ddr.

JP
    "Even a fool is thought to be wise if he is silent"

Cool Back to the Future

3 GIGAHERTZ that's 3000 megahertz. AT 64 BITS!!! Does that blow your mind? Are you stuck in the past with 700 wussy megahertz? 64 bits, that means double pipe bandwidth. Amazing, a measly 64bits. That's only 64 numbers, specifically zeros and ones, that can be processed each hert. At 3000 hertz a second the CPU takes .02 seconds to look at each 64bit word. That would be 2 milliseconds.

How fast do you think you could flip 64 switches in one second?

60/3000=.02

.02x.100 = 2

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What planet do we live on?

Thread Information