+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Angry Comcast Sucks!!!!

I live in New England where AT&T Broadband has recently been replaced with Comcast. For the most part, this was no big deal. I did not expect any change in service. However, yesterday I received a letter stating that my cable modem would no longer work with their service after June 15th. Comcast now requires a proprietary Motorolla modem to receive broadband internet. This really irritates me, since I bought a Linksys for $100 to avoid AT&T's $10 monthly modem rental fee. This is essentially another way for Comcast to gouge the customer.

The real kicker is this:
    As much as I would like to tell them to screw themselves, it is still cheaper than any other high-speed ISP, and 56K is completely out of the question...

I'm also using Comcast and have multiple IP Numbers for all of my machines. It has been this way for nearly two years

Now they tell me that I can only have one IP number for the amount I'm paying, If I want the multiple IP number package it will cost me another $50.00 a month..............Not!!!!

I'm glad I'm moving to Maine and can say adios to all of this nonsense.

Boo on Comcast..................
    Go Pats

vicarious george

I would call them up and tell them you are going to cancel the service and state your reasons and normally they will waive the modem fees to keep you as a customer as long as you dont yell at them.
    Everyone looks for a purpose in life. Some of us never find it.

Another Comcast customer here. All I know is when I had ATT it rarely went down. With Comcast my cable has gone down 3 times in the last month. When it works it's pretty good but when its down for hours at a time it's an issue.

Ultimate Member
    I'd give them some time, transistions are often rough....
    Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.

Ouch, that sucks. I've heard nothing but horror stories from Comcast. You've got my sympathies.

I've got RoadRunner here in Albany. I've had it for about 4 years now, and it's fantastic. VERY little disruptions or slow-downs.

Of course, it helps that Albany was/is one of the test sites that Time Warner uses for new technology, but from talking to others who use Road Runner around the country, it sounds like they've got quality service everywhere.

Maybe you could call and ask when they'll be in your area...

Originally posted by goldenbuddha
    I'd give them some time, transistions are often rough....
    You do have a point, hopefully in time they get things squared away.

Comcast user in New Mexico.

I have had Comcast for over a year now and within that time I have used 3 different modems and my connection is down very rarely. Comcast has never asked me to use a "certain" modem and even at the time of install they gave me a choice to use the 2 modems they had to offer.

No, I have no affiliation with Comcast and don't toot their horn on a regular basis, what I guess I'm trying to say is give it time and I'm sure things will improve. I don't believe whatsoever that they require a "certain" modem at all. I can think of atleast 5 friends in this area that have a different modem then mine.

Save your anger about Comcast for when they up your bill $3 here and $6 there every other month. They are cheap to start off but gradually they increase costs to catch up to the others.

Future Comcast user:

I will soon be moving to an area that, until recently, only offered AT&T Broadband cable internet. That is, of course, now Comcast cable. If I wait long enough, I can hook up through Qwest. I was so mad a Qwest for so long that I just planned on using Comcast and that was that. It seems I may need to weigh my options a little more heavily for at least while Comcast get's their start here.

Hmmmm...
    Talking in numbers doesn't make you smarter.

I've been using ATTbi for over three years and now am on Comcast. So far I've had no problem and noticed no drop in performance, although the "official" switch over is scheduled to take place in June....hopefully nothing will change (crosses fingers so hard they begin to bleed). So far they have said nothing to me about using a proprietary modem.

I've had ATT/comcast for a year now.
    Only one serious interupption of half a day when it was AT&T and a few small 5 minute ones with comcast.
    I love the speed, and it's leaps and bounds ahead of Qwest, so just hoping they don't tell me I have to use their modem!
    dragonb

Comcast does indeed suck!!

I've been with @Home then ATTBI for 4 years or so. Comcast is really screwing us over.

I have 60MB of web space with ATTBI. With Comcast we have 25MB.

With ATTBI I have access to the USENET newsgroups with no limits on what I can upload/download. With Comcast we will no longer have direct USENET access.

All this plus increased pricing. It's BS plain and simple. Comcast blows!

zen
    Comcast here in Cetral PA is fine. I've had very few problems. Beats the heck out of dial-up.

Re: Comcast Sucks!!!!

Originally posted by vicarious george
    Comcast now requires a proprietary Motorolla modem to receive broadband internet.
    I thought the days of proprietary modems were over. What are they making you buy?

I'm a very happy non-Comcrapst customer (OOL here). But we get zero web space, so y'all can stop whining.

I don't care so much about the web space, it's the newsgroup thing that's going to make me cancel their service.

Originally posted by BFsoLo.
    Comcast user in New Mexico.
    I don't believe whatsoever that they require a "certain" modem at all. I can think of atleast 5 friends in this area that have a different modem then mine.
    Well, tell you what....

When I get home from work, I will scan in the document and post it as an attachment.

You can then PM me an apology for calling me a liar...

I'd be interested to see that doc just because I'm considering joining with them and I want to know what they are telling customers!
    Talking in numbers doesn't make you smarter.

I just called the local office here and they said I could plug in a Toaster as long as it will work ...

Was'nt calling you a liar, I just don't see how if you hooked up the service to your linksys, It would'nt work ? There is nothing involved here that would make your current modem not work.

You are paying for a service.

So what you're most likely saying is that Comcast says you HAVE to buy or lease a modem from them and it just so happens it's the Motorolla. (which, btw, is a damn good modem).

Sucks to be on the East Coast I guess.

Originally posted by BFsoLo.
    I just called the local office here and they said I could plug in a Toaster as long as it will work ...
    Now there's a mod just waiting to happen

Originally posted by OuTpaTienT
    Comcast does indeed suck!!

With ATTBI I have access to the USENET newsgroups with no limits on what I can upload/download. With Comcast we will no longer have direct USENET access.

Do you have a link or something that says that comcast is discontiung usenet. i have been on attbi for a couple years and they are switching to comcast. i am a avid usent user and this would truelly suck. there are pay usent sites like easynews.com which run around 10 bucks a month.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What planet do we live on?

Thread Information