+ Reply to Thread

Compaq Notebook Quality

How well do HP/Compaq make laptops? Are they really well made and put together? Are they durable and dependable?
    Last edited by Phantom Noodler; May 12th, 2003 at 07:51 PM.
    - The Phantom Noodler

Ultimate Member
    It depends what you're comparing them too.

Right off the bat, I'd say HP notebooks are definitely better than Compaq notebooks - at least the ones made before the merger. Physical structure I'd say is fairly decent. My own notebook is an HP, but that's only because I stumbled across a deal on eBay that was so screamin' good I couldn't pass it up.

Regardless, Dell and Sony notebooks at least are better in just about every category you could think of.

The main issue I have with Compaq notebooks is the fact the bottom gets so hot after only running for an hour or so. Otherwise I think they're the same quality as all the other manufacturers.

I came across an old 486SX-25 Compaq notebook that still works. It's a little worse for wear but amazingly enough it still runs DOS and Windows 3.1 great.

Sean

Ultimate Member
    Otherwise I think they're the same quality as all the other manufacturers.
    I've got to disagree with you here. Every compaq notebook I've worked on has had more than it's fair share of problems. One of them was extremely bad - it would inexplicably crash very often. Their laptop quality is perhaps a bit better than their desktop quality, but it's still definitely subpar when compared to good brands like Dell, Sony, and IBM.

I'd have to say that most of the Compaq issues lie in the Presario line of lappys. This is the bulk of Compaq consumer sales though, so that is a prob. The Evo and Armada lines have suited me well, and the Evo line is well put together. IMO....

I've actually had pretty good luck with the Compaq laptops we have at work but they're all older machines so I can't speak for the newer ones. They're certainly leagues above Gateway notebooks but that's not really saying too much. Still, if I were in the market I'd be looking at either a Dell or an IBM. Those are both the two leaders right now as far as I'm concerned.
    Where's Lunch?

Blog Entries
    I use a Compaq notebook nearly everday for both business and personal usage. Can't complain, as it has been stable and served me well. I am having to replace the hard drive right now, but this is more attributed to extended wear from my multimedia projects than subpar parts quality.

Like nugget said, not all Compaq series are built the same. Read the reviews and check the reports, and you will find some highly rated models.
    Robert Richmond | Infinite perceptions. One reality.
    TechIMO.com Community Director

I use my Companq Laptop EVERDAY! No problems except I have that overheating problem too!

the *Voice* in your Head PresterJohn's Avatar
    the Armadas were built like a tank...they weren't the lightest or the sleekest, but man, were they durable!

a lot of people here like to bash hp & compaq...my experience has been that if you buy their business lines and *stay away* from the consumer ones, that the quality is no worse (or better) than ibm or dell. this applies to either laptops or desktops.

a lot of people here like to bash hp & compaq...my experience has been that if you buy their business lines and *stay away* from the consumer ones, that the quality is no worse (or better) than ibm or dell. this applies to either laptops or desktops.
    Exactly....

Ultimate Member
    Yeah... I've got to agree with PresterJohn as well.

All the compaqs I've had so many problems with were in fact from the Presario line.

I have a Compaq 2100US and it has worked flawlessly since I got it. I do however have one complaint. The touch pad is very sensitive. So sensitive that I have to lock it when typing. Maybe I could fix it other ways by adjusting it. Oh well. Decent lappy for 750 dollars, new.
    Intel 66/3.5 | P5W DH | 2g Gskill 800 | EVGA 8800 GTX | 74G Raptor | Hitachi (x2) 160G | XFi Extreme | Z-5300 | 225BW | G15/G7 | A 900

Guess that would have something to do with my perception of the company as well. My personal notebook is an old Armada - it's as heavy as a brick but it's been been really durable (knock on wood).
    Last edited by Scott Tiger; May 12th, 2003 at 09:36 PM.
    Where's Lunch?

There's an older Armada notebook at work as well. One of the developers "accidently" dropped it on the floor. (He was fishing to get a new one). It survived and was still working. Just needed a new network card. The jolt somehow broke the Xircom that was in there.

Everyone was quite shocked. But, like PresterJohn said the Armada line of notebooks are built like tanks. That one doesn't have the same heat problem as the Presario we have at work.

As has been already stated a few times, going with the business line will usually guarantee a more durable and sturdy laptop, those are expected to be taken on trips constantly. So they're built tougher to take the abuse of being on business trips.

Sean

I have a compaq P3 600 presario and wouldn't recommend or buy another one. The issue of temperature is not trivial. My laptop first died (& needed an expensive repair) when I tried using a PCMCIA network card and modem card concurrently over a several hour period. Other than that the key board quality has sucked (twice) and the hinges have lost their ability to hold the screen at an angle. I do like the sound quality though!

I also have regular access to DELL, SONY and IBM machines and would recommend looking at these first (especially DELL). At the first problem you'll more than make up the price differentials.

Since this was brought up again I'll give an update and say that I'd recommend avoiding IBM Thinkpads - specifically the R31's and the R32 models. I've had a really high number of problems with those two models at work and it's really changed my opinion of IBM laptops. We've bought roughly 100 of them (by far we've bought more R31's than R32's) in lots of 10-15 over the last year and half and they've all be pretty consistant at having the motherboards going out on them. I'd say we've had roughly 10% of need something major like that replaced. I suppose if you did buy one you'd have a 1 in 10 chance of getting burned (based off of my experience - these are definitely not statistics you can get any real conclusion out of).

It's too bad really - I kinda liked their laptops.
    Where's Lunch?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What planet do we live on?

Thread Information