+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thumbs up HOW EMAIL BIG .AVI MOVIE FILES?

Anyone know how to send big movie files via email, or some other program too big for hotmail or yahoo, etc? .AVI files., tnx bill

mickwish
    There are a number of ways to do this if they are too big for email account limits. The best way, IMO, is to set up a temp FTP server with something like Serv-U, and then tell your friend to use either an FTP client or even just a browser to get the files.

There are other ways, as well. there was recent thread on this with heaps of ideas in - I'll see if I can find it.

Cheers
    Mick

mickwish
    Found it here.

One idea I haven't tried but looks really interesting is the link that Redwolf posted in that thread. Might juts be exactly what you need.

Cheers
    Mick

FTP or sneaker netting a CD is the best way if the AVI file is large (over 1MB).

A lot of ISPs set a maximum mailbox limit on e-mail accounts. Some are low like 1MB while some people are lucky enough to have 10 or 20MB.

Sean

Misanthropic
    Blog Entries
    I recommend FTP as well. Perhaps you could just IRC DCC the file to one another?

how about snail mail a CD
    The impossible takes more time,and costs more money.
    Check out my band Saving Silence

Poor newby has no cd-rw, and dont know what irc dcc or ftp is help! Newbies need love too

FTP sounds like the best idea. I used to do this before I got Broadband to share large files with friends.
    FTP stands for file transfer protocol - it's just a name for the way in which you can transfer files to and from web sites or web space.
    Your ISP (internet service provider) should have provided you with some free web space to use when you signed up - check your ISP's home page for details.
    You can use this free web space to upload your large files using an FTP program. There are a few free ones around. Type in "free FTP software" in a search engine such as Google to find them.
    All you need to do is set up the software with the address of your web space (which your ISP will give to you), your username and password then you can transfer your files to your web space. Your friends can then download the files to their computers by browsing to your web space.
    One thing to note: once your files are on the web, anyone can have access to them. If you want to restrict access, you can set up a password for your web space (again your ISP should allow you to do this) and you can give your friends the access password.

i am still lost, isnt there easy way to send big files, or do i need to get a writer?

I guess you answered your own question, dude. BTW, thanks for that info Eraserhead. That's something I didn't know and will surely look into.
    "Education: That which discloses to the wise and disguises from the
    foolish their lack of understanding."
    Ambrose Bierce

Ultimate Member
    Originally posted by mickwish
    There are a number of ways to do this if they are too big for email account limits. The best way, IMO, is to set up a temp FTP server with something like Serv-U, and then tell your friend to use either an FTP client or even just a browser to get the files.

There are other ways, as well. there was recent thread on this with heaps of ideas in - I'll see if I can find it.

Cheers
    Mick

billniceguy hes said it right there, you can't email, only ftp it
    Athlon 64 3400+ (22-28*C)
    ECS 755-A2 1.1B Bios
    40GB & 80GB Internal HDD
    160GB External HDD
    Corsair 2GB PC3200 RAM
    ATI AIW Radeon 9600 128MB 8X

FTP is the way to go. It is actually pretty simple, but even easier is to use an instant messenger like ICQ or the like, or NetMeeting and use Remote Desktop Sharing (be sure to turn it off when you're done!).

Yahoo Messenger has a file transfer function but I don't know if it has a size limit.

Sorry, I just read the Yahoo info and it is limited to 1.5mb
    “Those who desire to give up freedom in order to gain security will not have, nor do they deserve, either one.”
    Benjamin Franklin

mpc
    Just break the file up using Outlook Express.

....or you can use Yahoo! Messenger file sharing, as that has no file size limit.

mickwish
    Bill, as long as you haven't got certain ports blocked on your connection (or your friend's connection), the little app called Basic File Transfer Utility which I mentioned earlier will do the job very easily and efficiently.

I have tried it, and it is very easy to set up and run, and can even have (very basic) password protection.

If you can't work it out, PM me or start a new thread, as it would be quite simple to walk you through using it.

Can be downloaded from here

Cheers
    Mick

Did you try Google yet? Siliconjunkie's Avatar
    You could split it up into 2549953584321542315 individual zip files and e-mail 1 or 2 a day, should be able to get it to him in a few years.

Seriously, FTP is the way to do this. E-mail was not made for transferring large files and doesn't do it well at all.
    My computer is bigger than yours!

Ultimate Member
    yes,like the us postal mail carrys medium sized boxes and letters, thats what u call e-mail in sort a way, and for big packages we use FEDEX & UPS, and thats called FTP, get it, i made it simple as can be
    Athlon 64 3400+ (22-28*C)
    ECS 755-A2 1.1B Bios
    40GB & 80GB Internal HDD
    160GB External HDD
    Corsair 2GB PC3200 RAM
    ATI AIW Radeon 9600 128MB 8X

I think I broke my IQ. After having read that, my IQ fell SO quickly that I didn't have a chance to catch it before it shattered on the floor. Help.

LMAO!!!!

mpc
    Why go through the whole hassle of setting up an FTP site (most ISP's strictly cap the amount of space that comes with the account) when all he has to do is use Outlook Express or Yahoo! file sharing? Way easier....and faster.

At the very least you can use Personal Web Server which is virtually the same as traditional FTP except that the files will be hosted by your own machine. Saves you the hassle of uploading to a site.
    Last edited by mpc; July 22nd, 2003 at 04:50 AM.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What planet do we live on?

Thread Information