+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

speakers picking up FM radio signals???

I was at my friends house one time helping him with his computer and we noticed something really weird...
    his pc speakers(that were not connected to anything except the AC wall outlet) were picking up a FM country station loud and clear. nothing but regular pc speakers plugged into the wall. he lives about a mile f rom the transmission tower for the radio station biut that is still weird.

any solutions??

thanks!!

Cr/-\c|<e|)
    Visit http://duroo.org

Try to reposition the wires. Mine was picking up CB transmissions once. Thought I was losing my mind because the voices were real faint.

I'll sometimes pick up my neighbor's CB radio broadcasts on my PC's speakers. It's funny cause he talks about all sorts of weird stuff. I often find myself turning up the volume to hear him better .

I had a telephone that would pick up the local country station. It turned out that one of the capacitors was not soldered correctly to the board inside the phone. Since they plug into the wall they must be powered speakers. The amplifier in your speakers would be basically the same as the one in a phone, just a little more powerful. You might try opening them up, and seeing if you can find anything.

Of course always be careful when dealing with capacitors make sure they are discharged, or proceed at your own risk. I was playing with a phone, not a lot of power there, but the capacitors from some speakers could pack quite a punch.

Orb

With a transmitter that close, this kind of thing isn't uncommon. Sometimes repositioning wires can help, other times, it can help to make sure that every piece of electronics involved with the computer is grounded to the same point (i.e. running 3 prong cables and all to the same outlet). Usually it's the house wiring acting as an antenna.

If you've got a wall-wart type power supply (with the typical two prong plug that can't be grounded) on the speakers, and also have a UPS, try plugging the speakers into the UPS.

A third option is to hunt around for some RF chokes that can clamp right on the cabling for the line feed from the computer to the speakers. These are similar to the cylindrical lump you often see on a monitor cable. A hunt at a big electronics supply house may find you something that's small enough to fit on the cable.

I live about two miles from an international airport and the grounding scheme did it for me, particularly crucial since I have a recording studio in there Fortunately, I'm not under the flight path
    There's only two things in life. But I forget what they are.

I had that happen all the time on my old computer, every sunday it would pick up some religous broadcast, my whole family thought i was crazy untill one day my mom was on it, and it started!

Here in the UK we have very tight controls on transmitters, and their harmonics. I had a problem with my Hi-Fi amp picking up a taxi transmitter (only about 400yds away). I called in the Post Office (they dealt with it then), and the best he could suggest was to encase it in an earthed copper lined box !!, not a great idea with a good looking Bang & Olufsen amp.
    If you connect the speakers to the sound card, does the pick-up stop, this sort of thing happens most on high impedence inputs, and if they are unterminated than things get worse still.
    The best (by that I mean it might work) solution is to get some toroid ferrite cores, and wrap the power and input cables around them a couple of times.

Failing that you will have to resort to chokes and capacitors, better still move

G

edit : Spelling !!
    Last edited by Graham; December 17th, 2001 at 06:20 PM.
    Nothing moves faster than goalposts.

at sometimes around my neighborhood these peeps come around and have a high output CB radio and it messes with me sony speakers and my aiwa sub, i hate it, i will be jamming and this guy would ride by and i could hear only a fat mumur of his voice but man it made me mad (sounds like some1 gargling with listerene LOL)

Never coil up any signal/power cables, just simply fold them. This prevents from most interferences.
    Y0K compliant, counting upwards ;)

I had a problem like that with a phone once, I had extended the cord myself, and it would pick up FM signals. It made of the phone calls very very funny

haha Gomer

Hi,
    This is slightly off topic but sort of related!!

Does anyone notice if their Cellphones interfere with Electronic Stuff?

Mine sits ontop of the TV in the Kitchen while it is charging and before it rings it causes the TV Speaker to crackle. It rides on the dash of my Car and causes the instruments to go all over the place when it is about to ring.

Cheers

Nodnerb2
    Cheers

Nodnerb2:D

LOL Gomer

Same thing happened to me! I really thought I was losing it for a few days there, but then I had a friend come over and hang out around the computer all day just to make sure I wasn’t the only one hearing the voices, hehe.

The guy on that CB was talking some really weird stuff!
    "It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything"

www.rjponzio.com

Well, I've got used to voices and stuff coming from my PC speakers! It's not continous though, must be to do with atmospheric conditions.

Nodnerb2, I think that's why cellphones are banned in hospitals etc.

uh, are you all sure your hearing these voice?

I hear voices in my head, oh that just me thinkin

Sorrysorry

Exclamation Stereo Speaker Sounds

Now here's something that's weird. My stereo has a wire (covered with protective rubber) which is about 4 and 1/2 to 5 and 1/4 inches long as opposed to the metal attenae thingy. See, I live about 1/4 of a mile from MCAS (Marine Corps Air Station) which is also connected to our two-plane-at-a-time airport (VERY VERY VERY small... LOL) and one day I was trying to get a certain station so I moved the wire around a bit and for about 5 to 12 second I think I heard transmission comng from the airplanes. Now please explain this one?
    Last edited by MC00AGENT; December 18th, 2001 at 05:38 PM.

MC00AGENT, Just lucky I guess, you get the antenna oriented the right way, the right atmospheric conditions, and that strong a signal, you could get that stuff.

BTW, here's the ultimate way to keep Taxis, airplanes, and just maybe that idiot with the illegal linear 100 watt CB amp next door out of your audio.

1) Rip out your walls, ceiling and take up the carpet or floorboards.

2) Get great humongous rolls of chicken wire and staple it to the framing of the room.

3) Go through all the places where the sheets join and solder the sheets together at the edges.

4) At one corner, attach an 8 gauge solid wire to the chicken wire, you may need a welder to do this.

5) Run the wire through the outside wall of the building.

6) Dig a 4 foot deep hole outside the house

7) Take a 3 foot wide by two foot high by half inch thick sheet of copper , weld it to a steel surveyor's stake and bury the whole mess in the hole you just dug, leaving the end of the take sticking out of the ground.

8) Weld that 8 gauge copper wire to the head of the stake.

Piece o' cake Worked a ton when I had a studio less than a quarter mile from the skyscraper that had every radio and TV antenna in the city, public or private perched on top.
    There's only two things in life. But I forget what they are.

Ultimate Member
    My brothers girlfriends's speakers pic up a mexican radio station.

That's pretty sweet Tomterrific. I've never heard of anyone living in a Faraday cage before.

Red face OOPS!

LOL, oops, my mistake. When I said inches in my previous post, it should have been FEET.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What planet do we live on?

Thread Information