+ Reply to Thread

Difference between Quick and Normal Format of Windows?

Hi. What is the difference between Normal (Full) and Quick Format of Windows XP. I partition the hard drive, then boot from CD and let Windows usually format my hard drive. But it asks me this and sometimes I choose Quick (but don't know why). Maybe It is recommended to do a full format on a new hard drive and a quick format whenever a hard drive has already been full formated before. Don't know??? Any Hints?

Quick format doesn't rewrite any low-level formatting or check the media. Full format redraws all formatting. Choose it if you're worried about disk integrity.
    ~ Camp Crystal Lake counselor positions opening daily ~

difference between quick foramt and format

During a "clean" installation of Microsoft Windows XP, you are prompted to choose from the following format options:
    Format the partition by using the NTFS file system (Quick)
    Format the partition by using the FAT file system (Quick)
    Format the partition by using the NTFS file system
    Format the partition by using the FAT file system
    Leave the current file system intact (no changes)
    This article describes the differences between a Quick format and a regular format.
    MORE INFORMATION
    When you choose to run a regular format on a volume, files are removed from the volume that you are formatting and the hard disk is scanned for bad sectors. The scan for bad sectors is responsible for the majority of the time that it takes to format a volume.

If you choose the Quick format option, format removes files from the partition, but does not scan the disk for bad sectors. Only use this option if your hard disk has been previously formatted and you are sure that your hard disk is not damaged.

If you installed Windows XP on a partition that was formatted by using the Quick format option, you can also check your disk by using the chkdsk /r command after the installation of Windows XP is completed.

Quote Originally Posted by napols8 View Post
    During a "clean" installation of Microsoft Windows XP, you are prompted to choose from the following format options:
    Format the partition by using the NTFS file system (Quick)
    Format the partition by using the FAT file system (Quick)
    Format the partition by using the NTFS file system
    Format the partition by using the FAT file system
    Leave the current file system intact (no changes)
    This article describes the differences between a Quick format and a regular format.
    MORE INFORMATION
    When you choose to run a regular format on a volume, files are removed from the volume that you are formatting and the hard disk is scanned for bad sectors. The scan for bad sectors is responsible for the majority of the time that it takes to format a volume.

If you choose the Quick format option, format removes files from the partition, but does not scan the disk for bad sectors. Only use this option if your hard disk has been previously formatted and you are sure that your hard disk is not damaged.

If you installed Windows XP on a partition that was formatted by using the Quick format option, you can also check your disk by using the chkdsk /r command after the installation of Windows XP is completed.
    Thanks, I think they figured it out FIVE years ago when the last poster replied.

TechIMO Folding@home Team #111 - Crunching for the cure!

thanks for the info

Thanks for the info on normal format vs. quick format. (True this is SIX years after the original poster and ONE year after the true response but for the internet being around so long, it makes it nice to find an answer --- ANY answer whether two months old or five years old.)

haha i've wondered this too but never looked into it. interesting info. even if this is a really old post.

still helpful

Hey, I found napols8's reply helpful, as my laptop's Toshiba HD just crapped out on me and I'm having to start from scratch w/ my XP backup disc on a new drive. Just sayin'... thanks =)

Let's bring this post back again in 5 more years.

Look, four people joined TechIMO just to post in THIS THREAD!! So I say we keep it going.

LOL.... yeah, but they were hit and runs...
    ◄ it is what it is ►

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What planet do we live on?

Thread Information