+ Reply to Thread
    Ultimate Member

How to open Notepad, full screen

I use notepad a lot. It always must be opened, then maximized. I 'think' there is a way in the registry to reset it to open full screen, but I cannot find it.

I searched out every instance of notepad in the reg. and changed all "0"s to "1"s...didn't help one bit.

Win98SE

Anybody have a clue?

Tnx...

Ultimate Member
    put a shortcut on the desktop...right click it,properties, "shortcut" tab...beside "run" select the drop down window for "maximized"
    "Even a fool is thought to be wise if he is silent"

Ultimate Member
    Ahhhh...cool, John...works like a champ..

Thanks a bunch..

Ultimate Member
    glad it worked, those shortcuts can do some cool stuff, like the one where you run a dos batch file and you put a shortcut up then you check off "close on exit" and it closes the dos window automatically..cool stuff.
    "Even a fool is thought to be wise if he is silent"

you could also do that to the shortcut in the start menu if you dont want it on the desktop
    Hey who turned sigs on?

Ultimate Member
    Thanks HeadBand. That worked too...but I very rarely open anything from the start menu. I have what I useally use on the quick launch bar. But, where I do most of my 'work' is while Power Desk is open. This is an Ontrack application that has the look and feel to it like Windows Explorer (only 200% better)...i.e. a file manager. There I have the exe icon up on the tool bar (launch bar actually) and since it was the actual exe drug and dropped onto the launch bar, I did not have the option to right click and select properties. Once I found that this would work, I simply deleted the executable icon from the launch bar and replaced it with the shortcut...works just like I need it.

How to maximize Notepad when double clicking a .txt file in Explorer, or by command l

How to maximize Notepad when double clicking a .txt file in Explorer, or by command line.

Apart from the above solutions there are other ways to do it, and to do it for all txt files in one go.

To maximize Notepad when double clicking a text file, in explorer:-

1) select 'Tools' > 'Folder Options' > 'File Types'.

2) Click the Files Types folder and look down alphabetically for "TXT Text Document".

3) Select it, click Advanced > open > Edit and replace the "application used to perform action" box with:-

cmd.exe /c start /max C:\Windows\notepad.exe %1

For Start > Run you can use this command line:-

cmd.exe /c start /max C:\Windows\notepad.exe "C:\your dir\yourFile.txt"

Information about all this is here cmd - Command Shell

I have XP Professional SP3, 32 bit.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What planet do we live on?

Thread Information