+ Reply to Thread

AIWA Stereo repair

I have an AIWA 3 disk CD changer/stereo and whenever I put a CD in, it will pick up the CD but for some reason it won't spin the CD in order to read it. It sounds like it is going to start to spin, but then it dies out. Can anybody help me?

Most likely lost a capacitor on the drive circuit... high tech fix... doesn't sound good.

That stinks, you think there is anything I could do to it though to get it running again? I know that taking it to get it fixed is the best option, does that cost a lot to get a capacitor fixed?
    Stealth_

Depending upon how old the unit is, it might not be worth fixing. You'd be surprised how much electronics have dropped in the past couple of years!
    RayH42450@gmail.com
    Please indicate you are from TechIMO in subject line so you don't get deleted as spam :)

yes I have the same problem with mine...it spins the cd around for like 3 revolutions, then it stops. mostly with cd-r's though.
    my unit is about 5 years old.

~Branson ??
    I'm an Eagle Scout! (1997)

Unhappy same problem

Quote Originally Posted by StealthyV View Post
    yes I have the same problem with mine...it spins the cd around for like 3 revolutions, then it stops. mostly with cd-r's though.
    my unit is about 5 years old.

~Branson ??
    hey i have the same problem...i put in a cd-r or even the original disc but is won't play at all...so i dunno what to do...is there a way to fix it...right now it just sits in my room for decoration...i've had it for 4 or 5 yrs now...when i first got it, it worked fine but now it doesn't do anything. i sometimes use it to listen to the radio. please let me know if theres a way to fix it...thanks

It has probably just... died out.

Smile AIWA stero

Hi, I am having the same problem with my AIWA stero, it accepts the CD and spins it, but it does not read the CD. How can you help me?
    Do you have an address in san francisco?
    How much do you think it will coast me to fix it?
    thank you,
    Rocsana Ribeiro

This was a known problem with the AIWA 3 disc changers. There was a class action lawsuit a few years back for the repair of the AIWA minisystems. The deadline for that though has long since past.
    Unofficial TechIMO record holder for the number of times being added and removed from beemer's ignore list.

I have the same problem with my AIWA 3cd changer mini stereo system bought in 1998.
    The CD would spin about 3 times, as though the system reads it, but it will not play and spin consecutively.

I thought a CD lens cleaner would solve the problem but it didn't.
    What sometimes helped me was actually banging on the top of the stereo system couple of times, like slapping it as soon as I see that it will not be read. Many times it would cause the stereo system to read the CD.

But RayH is right, you could find some very cheap mini stereo systems with way better quality and ones that are compatible with iPods or USBs.

Ultimate Member
    Apparently this thread from January 1st 2004 refuses to die.
    "Opinions not based on knowledge are ugly things"

thornbird

Sounds as if that was a common problem. I also have a three disc changer.A cxna222 that hasn't been working for 4 years. Vintage 1998. After loading discs, it starts, spins for a few revolutions and then goes to the next, and then the next and then shuts off. The problem started with garbled sound and then gradually got worse. A cleaner didn't help. I love music so I bought a Sharp combo system. I too play the old one on tapes and radio. Anyone find a cheap fix?

Smile romolus

The fix is pretty easy once you figure out the problem.

1) Remove the case and the back panel.

2) With the backside of the stereo facing you, level your eyes with the back of the laser unit of cdplayer nd you'll see a small plastic screw which regulates a potentiometer.

3) Plug the stereo on, insert a cd and turn the potentiometer really slowly until the laser is capable of reading cd's once again.

4) Problem should be solved.

Hope this helps

Thumbs up Thank you!

I have an Aiwa system from 1995 that had the same problem reading cds as this post indicated others have had. It was a great multi-audio system until a few years back. It's been collecting dust since. Today, ironically, one day after your post on how to fix, I decided I would do a quick Google search to see if there was an easy fix or if it was time to toss it since rapiring it would probably cost more than a new system.

I ran into this thread and your post with the easy fix I was looking for....I gave it a try. I tell you what - I had more of a problem taking off the back panel and case and reattching it than I did following your instructions and fixing. Originally it took me a couple of minutes to find the plastic looking screw/potentiometer, but voila! There it was, I turned and tested and everything worked again beautifully. Like I said putting the case back together took me more time than the fix.

I am so grateful to be able to restore a good thing to working order. Most of my music is on iTunes, but I still like to just toss on a few (old) cds that will play back to back while I'm working around the house, so I'm thrilled!

Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by romolus View Post
    The fix is pretty easy once you figure out the problem.

1) Remove the case and the back panel.

2) With the backside of the stereo facing you, level your eyes with the back of the laser unit of cdplayer nd you'll see a small plastic screw which regulates a potentiometer.

3) Plug the stereo on, insert a cd and turn the potentiometer really slowly until the laser is capable of reading cd's once again.

4) Problem should be solved.

Hope this helps
    The problem I've got is that the 3 cd changer does not seem to be aligned properly. It randomly mis-aligns itself and so when each cd lodges itself in the laser bay it is not seated properly and fails to rotate.
    Any help would be great.
    Cheers

marko van burno

i have an aiwa hifi but it only works when it wants to if it gets to hot it switches itself off when it comes on its on for like 2 mins then switches off ive been told it is a eco chip failure but can that be fixed if anyone knows of anyone that can fix it would you e-mmail me at medion_21@yahoo.co.uk its a shame to just bin it. it has lovely sound and pisses my neighbours off lol

its a aiwa xh-a1000

I found out the problem. Take off top lid have tray sticking out and there's a white cover over the lazer. Just remove it with sisccors. And it work fine.
    Last edited by lileddiek; February 2nd, 2014 at 05:47 PM. Reason: miss spell

If you can take the top off of unit and the moment the disc loads and tries to spin go ahead and help it! If it starts playing its you spindle motor, if not its the laser!!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What planet do we live on?

Thread Information