+ Reply to Thread
    Ultimate Member

Photoshop Vs. Paint.Net or Gimp

Respond if you have any experience with all 3 please.

I recently quit using Photoshop 6 as it "mysteriously" quit working on the box I have had it on for over a year, previously had it on another box since it released. Calls to Adobe were pointless as they feel it's time for me to upgrade. 6 did everything I needed it to.

Played with the gimp a bit, the impression I get is it has serious limitations and functionality.

I was then given Adobe Photoshop Elements 5 as a gift (used from brother in law) and although it impresses me how tasks that were seemingly complex in ps6 are now automated in the low end elements. However I find the program extremely buggy and simple things like compositing will not work. Periodically when going to resize an image the dimensions fields are blocked out and the program experiences unknown errors and closes.

At this point I am not going to spend retail for cs3 and if anything lean towards the new elements 6 for 85 bucks. Obviously I worry about being stuck with another turd like elements 5 was on this system (at least 5 was free, lol).

I have dabbled with Paint.net and it seems an impressive program probably more on scale with cs3. I don't exactly need all that unless your experiences state Paint.Net rocks! It has a whole new learning curve away from the adobe products that I am familiar with if not impressed by.

Thanks for any input!

Super Stealthy Moderator RicheemxX's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I personally have never used paint.net I have heard great things but never tried., I have however used gimp, cs2 and cs3 and I personally have never seen gimp fail in any areas so I'm not sure where you've seen limitations.

I can say if you don't need all the tools paint.net has or even gimp has then you obviously won't need something like cs3. If you are just doing simple edits then paint looks like it should cover all your needs. For resizing I don't even bother I use infranview its fast, free, easy and does batch conversions which I love.
    Be a Liberal, blame everyone else!!

Blog Entries
    Paint.Net isn't that great. It is a replacement for Paint really and that is about it (lately it has been starting to get quite slow for loading though).

I haven't really used Gimp much...
    "The problem with quotations on the internet is that the sources are hard to verify" - Abraham Lincoln

I'm learning the Gimp, I find that it can do alot. The more I study the more I learn that it can do. I have never used Photoshop. I do like the Gimp price.
    Asus M4A785TD-V EDO, Phenom II X4 945 Deneb 3.0GHz 4 Gig DDR3 1333 Win7 64 Home

http://www.gimpshop.com/ may be to your liking as a former Photoshop user. It adjusts the Gimp to a more PS look and feel.

Ultimate Member
    Limitations as far as filters and special effects and my ability being familiar with it's layout. Obviously my limitations are the issue it would seem. It really stinks having to learn something new.

I APPRECIATE all of your input!

Ex I know you do a lot of Web Development thanks for the advice. Time to learn the Gimp inside and out.

Thanks for the info on batch conversion Rich!

Super Stealthy Moderator RicheemxX's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    When I was using gimp I found it could use most photoshop filters, they have to be .8bf files and I think you needed to install an add-on. But just about ever filter I wanted to use worked fine. There is a pretty good learning curve but no different from photoshop which I actually think has a steeper curve.
    Be a Liberal, blame everyone else!!

Paint.NET is pretty standard if you dont have any addons installed

however once u get a collection of the free to download addons it is EASILY comparable to photoshop

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
    .....I recently quit using Photoshop 6 as it "mysteriously" quit working on the box I have had it on for over a year,........ I was then given Adobe Photoshop Elements 5 as a gift However I find the program extremely buggy and simple things like compositing will not work. Periodically when going to resize an image the dimensions fields are blocked out and the program experiences unknown errors and closes.....
    Hmmm, you suddenly lost Photoshop 6, and have had a buggy esperience with a newer Photoshop. Maybe before you load any more programs that need a well tuned computer you need to see what is up with your unit! It doesn't sound healthy. JMHO.

I've used Photoshop and Gimp .Photoshop has better user interface, features and reliability. And is perfect in editing large multi-layer images that Gimp can't handle. Gimp is fine if you donít need many features and it is not expensive.

Goverment property now GroundZero3's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    And by not expensive you mean free

Can try Krita ... It is a new open source 2D program that is very good.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What is 10 and 5 added together?

Thread Information