+ Reply to Thread

Angry storing images on dvd

I have tried to store a large quantity of images on a 4.7G dvd. They did get recorded but took a while. I am using a Memorex 16 times double layer external, usb connected burner using Nero 8 software.

My problem: There are approx. 4.1GB's of images on the dvd. It takes several HOURS to see any of the images. Is there a better way to utilize these high capicity dvd disc's to store lots of images on? I had hoped at one time to be able to use one of the double layer disc's to store a lot more, but not till I se if there is a better way than "DATA STORAGE" disc.

Any Ideas?

PC Upgrade Procrastinator ShyguyXPC's Avatar
    what do you mean it takes several hours to see any images?

do you mean it takes several hours to burn the data to the disc before it can be used?

I have created 4 dvd's, each have the capacity, size wize 4.7GB's, to store images in jpg, tiff, gif or anyother kind of image. It did take quite a while to burn each disc. The images are sorted by folders. The recording software was set to verify that each file verified after burning using Nero 8. Now I place them in the same recorder and try to access an images in Windows Explorer. It takes about 20 minutes to present all of the folders in windows explorer. Now I click to select the jpg folder which contains close to 1000 images, it takes about an hour to see the list, another hour to add the resolution column of each image which did not show up when the files names showed up. I select from the list of jpgs a single image, it takes another hour before it shows up in Paint shop Pro photo ver. 12. If I tried to view thsese images in windows explorer as thumbnails, after two hours it did not happen. One time I tried to select just one image and it took almost an hour before it showed up in Paint Shop Pro Photo. I selected the file by right clicking and choosing to open with paint Shop Pro Photo.

Each of these disc's have approximately 4.1GB's of images seperated by folders divided by file type that is jpgs, tiffs, gifs etc. Then each of those seperated by folders in categories, When I create just a CD with a maximum of 700MB's of capacity there is not problem, only when trying to access a single image on the dvd's that contain 4.1GB's of images.

I can burn movies, slide shows for the computer or TV/dvd player, no problem all work fine.

Adding on to my last message, my OS is Windows XP Pro, the cpu is AMB Athlon XP 1.9G processor, 1.5G of RAM and three hard drives totaling 300MB's of total space with over 200MB's of free space.

Blog Entries
    Likely it is because you are using an external drive over USB.

With an internal drive you should not have that problem.
    "The problem with quotations on the internet is that the sources are hard to verify" - Abraham Lincoln

It does not appear that an internal would work any faster, they use parrallel data, usb uses serieal data, it would appear sereal would be faster not slower. Anyway thanks for the answer, don't have room for another cd or dvd drive internally, even if i am wrong.

Blog Entries
    Parallel and serial have nothing to do with speed.

If you can not use an internal drive you'll have to stick with the slow speed you have. There is no way around it.
    "The problem with quotations on the internet is that the sources are hard to verify" - Abraham Lincoln

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What is the color of the sky?

Thread Information