+ Reply to Thread

6800gt vs x800gto

hello
    which card would better suit my gaming needs the best?>
    a 6800gt 256mg or an x800gto,
    they r both AGP, for my agp mobo
    my pc is a dell dimension 4600, p4 2.8 gig HT, 1.25 gig ram, and i curently use a 9600 sE,
    and i need a new psu.... how do i fi t one in my small tower?
    thanks to alls
    and GO SEE KING KONG IT ROCKS

its mostly for BF2, but i also want a card that will stand the test of time... like for the next gen games that will eventual come out.
    i dunno which games these are, and if anyoine has any info about insane future titles, feel free to tell me about them!

Blog Entries
    I am pretty sure the 6800 GT is faster...but it also costs more...I think...

Ya, you would need a new power supply...get this one:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817104953 (yes, it will fit fine)
    "The problem with quotations on the internet is that the sources are hard to verify" - Abraham Lincoln

I've been researching these 2 cards & I settled on the evga 6800gt, the 6800 has 16 pipes compared to 12 on the GTO.

You could get lucky & get a GTO that will unlock to 16 but I didn't want to take the chance.

Some say they aren't built that way any longer.

If I didn't have the extra $$ I would've gone with the GTO!

Chef

*sighs* Chefde, the older Connect3D X800GTOs (PCI-E Only) unlock to X850XT PEs, as do Sapphire X800GTO2s.

More pipes does not mean better. The 6800GS outdoes the 6800GT in terms of bang:buck, even if it has one less pipeline quad. And focus on upgrading your CPU and motherboard for better gaming. Intel CPUs have longer pipelines, and are better for file encoding and encryption, and other things like that. The much shorter pipelines in AMD processors allow for better multi-tasking and gaming, as they're more easily interrupted, and take less time to do an instruction. They can jump around to more things with better effeciency.

Good choice on the PSU, btw .

will that psu fit into my mini-tower?
    and i read dell likes to mix things up and place pins in unconvetional places and r unneccarly hard to upgrade

Blog Entries
    Hey, welcome to TechIMO zSilverFox.

Quote Originally Posted by flyguyspy
    will that psu fit into my mini-tower?
    and i read dell likes to mix things up and place pins in unconvetional places and r unneccarly hard to upgrade
    Yes, it will fit...I put a TT 420w in my Dimension 4600 about 9 months ago...it is still chuggin away.
    "The problem with quotations on the internet is that the sources are hard to verify" - Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by chefde
    I've been researching these 2 cards & I settled on the evga 6800gt, the 6800 has 16 pipes compared to 12 on the GTO.

You could get lucky & get a GTO that will unlock to 16 but I didn't want to take the chance.

Some say they aren't built that way any longer.

If I didn't have the extra $$ I would've gone with the GTO!

Chef

There is a GeForce 6800 Ultra, 6800 GT, 6800 GS, 6800, and 6800 XT also the 6800 can be called the 6800nu(non ultra- only used by reviewers or on forums to distinguish between the ultra and the gt and all the other ones came out), there is no gto, just a note . You can see this from here http://www.nvidia.com/page/geforce6.html

Also, ati is losing it battle, go with the nvidia, much better driver support , also many games support nvidia, that gives you another reason to get it.

Aramazd
    Last edited by aramazd; December 14th, 2005 at 11:34 PM.

May I ask what you mean by "many games support nVidia?"

Just because a company paid to have their logo on a box, doesn't exactly mean that the game only runs well on that companies products .

zSilverFox:
    *sighs* Sorry for causing you undue anxiety for the error on the Brand and type of card that unlocked. Your patience with my ignorance is greatly appreciated!!!!!!

BTW flyguyspy was looking for AGP only, there is NO 6800gs in agp (yet).

"More pipes does not mean better." That's a matter of opinion, yes, the clock speeds are higher; yes, it's a better value; no, it's not available in AGP.

I know you were trying to explain the upgrade process and the advantages of PCIE but I have been agonizing over this whole process just as flyguyspy is.

I was just trying to help, I apologize that I'm not as Tech Savvy as you but there is no need to make me feel fooloish.

Aramazd:

I was referring to the x800GTO that flyguyspy asked about in his original post, I didnít feel the need to type out the whole name.

I guess Iím making too many mistakes in my posts!!!!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What is 10 and 5 added together?

Thread Information