+ Reply to Thread

Question 1st post, go easy please - Ati Radeon & AGP8X

Right, I am just in the process of cobbling together a 2nd machine solely for music production and graphic design:
    Dualcore 3.4 Ghz Pentium 4 on AGP8X ASRock motherboard (both new)
    1 gig RAM (new)
    60gig and 20 gig piggybacked HDs (from a previous machine - to be improved upon)
    Soundblaster Live! (for the moment)
    That's about it but I have an old 64mb ATi Radeon card (AGP2X as far as I know) but I am doubtful whether this will be compatible with the motherboard? It does actually say on the motherboard that 3.3V devices will cause permanent damage, so can anyone clear this one up?
    Don't wanna be stuck with the onboard option so what can I do with this card, if anything?

Matt

Blog Entries
    If you just recently bought that CPU and motherboard you should take it back. I would drop both of those for a Core 2 Duo E6300 in a heartbeat. It's probably not a lot more money for the E6300, but it definatly wastes that Pentium D.

And for the vid card...I would just use the integrated video unless you need dual monitors. It should work just fine, but the integrated(depending on what it is) is probably just as fast as the old ATI card you have...
    "The problem with quotations on the internet is that the sources are hard to verify" - Abraham Lincoln

Ultimate Member
    I agree with EX... There is no reason to buy that garbage anymore (Pentium D)
    "Opinions not based on knowledge are ugly things"

Super Stealthy Moderator RicheemxX's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Right, I am just in the process of cobbling together a 2nd machine solely for music production and graphic design:
    Dualcore 3.4 Ghz Pentium 4 on AGP8X ASRock motherboard (both new)

sounds like he already has them so no need to crap on his thread!!

And for the vid card...I would just use the integrated video unless you need dual monitors
    not sure where the intergrated video came in?? It doesn't mention it anywhere in the thread nor does he say the mobo model

Matt I'd definitly go with a different card! You'll need something better to do any kind of decent designs anyways and you can buy something compatible for a failrly decent price. Unless you are doing any type of hardcore graphics works I wouldn't go to crazy on what you spend I'm assuming since this is a 2nd maching you are trying to keep the budget down
    Last edited by RicheemxX; August 31st, 2006 at 08:11 PM.
    Be a Liberal, blame everyone else!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RicheemxX
    sounds like he already has them so no need to crap on his thread!!

not sure where the intergrated video came in?? It doesn't mention it anywhere in the thread nor does he say the mobo model

Matt I'd definitly go with a different card! You'll need something better to do any kind of decent designs anyways and you can buy something compatible for a failrly decent price.
    Well, if he could take them back I would reccomend it since the E6300 is way ahead of any Pentium D.

Also...
    Don't wanna be stuck with the onboard option so what can I do with this card, if anything?
    "The problem with quotations on the internet is that the sources are hard to verify" - Abraham Lincoln

Super Stealthy Moderator RicheemxX's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    ehh missed the bottom I guess I need to read all the way down!

oh and being stuck with the on-board in most cases with a new board will be better than anything that old!!
    Last edited by RicheemxX; August 31st, 2006 at 08:19 PM.
    Be a Liberal, blame everyone else!!

Thanks guys.
    The onboard graphics is 64Mb so the ATi Radeon is pointless, going to give it to a friend for scraping mud from his boots with.
    Core 2 Duo E6300 good then is it? My knowledge there is limited I'm afraid, this is my first Intel chip though, AMD all the way til now.
    Only reason I've defected is that I was going to buy a cheap(ish) motherboard and AMD 2gig processor, but then at the last minute I had the option of the P4 dual-core and better board for same money!
    Have now gone up to 2gig RAM from 1gig so things are running even more smoothly.
    RicheemxX - budget is paramount here, see comment on motherboard/CPU above! In total, including a 21" flat screen monitor, I have paid only around 100 so far for this machine. Bonus!

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Nash View Post
    Thanks guys.
    The onboard graphics is 64Mb so the ATi Radeon is pointless, going to give it to a friend for scraping mud from his boots with.
    Core 2 Duo E6300 good then is it? My knowledge there is limited I'm afraid, this is my first Intel chip though, AMD all the way til now.
    Only reason I've defected is that I was going to buy a cheap(ish) motherboard and AMD 2gig processor, but then at the last minute I had the option of the P4 dual-core and better board for same money!
    Have now gone up to 2gig RAM from 1gig so things are running even more smoothly.
    RicheemxX - budget is paramount here, see comment on motherboard/CPU above! In total, including a 21" flat screen monitor, I have paid only around 100 so far for this machine. Bonus!
    Since budget is paramount, then an AMD would fit, as the AM2's would outperform the old PD's (at the same price), run cooler, and would be cheaper than a Core2Duo (6300), especially the motherboard.
    For example, you could get a X2 CPU for $160 (US) and less than $100 (US) for a good (cheaper) motherboard.

It's all running nicely now, Cubase VST on the go and Soundblaster Live! sounding nice n crisp!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What is the color of the sky?

Thread Information