+ Reply to Thread

Will 300 watt video card work on 250 W pc??

ok i just got my new pci graphics card for my dell dimension 3000 256mb of ram tho it says that its required amount of watts on the pc says 300 my pc only has 250 watts. I havent installed it yet but im not sure if i should tell my Dad 2 return it and get a different one with less usage of watts. If i should do that how much watts should the graphics card use up??? becuz i think if i dont have enough watts my pc will just shut down wen overheated. Will the graphics card work with low performance
    will it wokr at high performance for a short period of time or will it not work at all??? plz i need help. should i get 128

Pentium 4 CPU
    2.80GHz
    2.79GHz
    512mb of ddr ram
    supports pci only
    i currently have integrated graphics

Blog Entries
    What graphics card did you get?

Sorry to be the bringer of bad news, but there is no card you can get that will give even moderate performance. PCI cards are rare, expensive, and very slow.

If your looking to play something at decent quality/frame rates you will need a new motherboard and power supply at the least.
    "The problem with quotations on the internet is that the sources are hard to verify" - Abraham Lincoln

I got a Nvidia GeForce 6200 PCI 256mb ddr2 memory
    DVI + VGA + S-VIDEO OUTPUTS

they still make PCI vid cards?! I thought it was bad enough finding AGP but thats going to be very difficult to find something at all worth buying.

Blog Entries
    With my experience with those 250w power supplies, you should be fine.

But don't expect that 6200 to be a great card, the 6XXX series is ancient by computer standards, and it's the slowest one of the series.
    "The problem with quotations on the internet is that the sources are hard to verify" - Abraham Lincoln

Ultimate Member
    The card may not draw more than 25W anyway if it's PCI. Don't worry.

Thanks so much guys th pci graphics card may not work great but atleast i wont get beaten for th computer shuting off in the middle of sumthing with my Mom watchign at the same time

Blog Entries
    If your computer is randomly shutting off you have a problem already. Either from the power supply not being good enough or a heat problem, both of which would be made worse with a new video card.

my moniter didnt even show up wen i installed it is it b/c i didnt disable th old graphics card befor i installed th new one???

or is it b/c i didnt connect my moniter to my graphics card with th extra DVI connecter piece that came with it???

Ultimate Member
    What?

my moniter didnt even show up wen i installed it is it b/c i didnt disable th old graphics card befor i installed th new one???

or is it b/c i didnt connect my moniter to my graphics card with th extra DVI connecter piece that came with it???
    Neither one. Your onboard video is on the AGP bus, and your new card is on the PCI.

With your monitor hooked up to your onboard video, right click anywhere on the desktop, and select Properties>> Settings tab.

If your PCI video card is installed, you should see two monitors, one greyed out.

Click on that one and tick "Extend my Windows desktop onto this montior, then click Apply.

You can test to see if it works by sliding the mouse in the direction of the new monitor. If the mouse goes off the screen, the second vid card is now activated.

If you select the second monitor, and "Use this device as the primary monitor" then apply, your toolbar and shortcuts will probably disappear from your monitor (onboard video output). Then power down the monitor, plug it into the PCI output, and power back up.

What you have done is configure dual monitors. Follow the same steps by selecting the original monitor, and deselect "Extend my monitor onto this monitor.

The screen on the new card may appear big and grainy until you install the drivers for the new Video card. It may have installed them automagically, depending on your Windows settings, or may need to be installed from the CD that came with the video card.

There are other ways to do this with the BIOS settings, or in the device manager.

However, you can only disable onboard video, you cannont "uninstall" it.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What planet do we live on?

Thread Information