+ Reply to Thread

new video card for gx620 dell

Hello guys! I have a dell optiplex gx620 (with onboard graphic card xpress xhipset family) and I need to know what video card I can buy to play somes new games... For the moment I can't buy a new pc...thanx!
    Last edited by BASILISP; October 18th, 2007 at 12:13 PM.

Hi & Welcome to TechIMO.

Before anyone can recommend a video card we need to know which one of the four sizes of GX620 is yours.
    http://support.dell.com/support/edoc.../A02/index.htm

Any specific games you plan on playing? What size/type monitor are you using?

\
    I've got a 17' monitor and I like especially 3rd and 1st person shooters,but in general almost all kind of games...I tried to play few of the newest but I always had video problem... thanx for yr help!

That looks like the Desktop model. It is limited to low-profile PCIe 16x video cards. The power supply is only 280 watt, so that will limit card choice too.

I'm going to look around & see what might work...

A quick look at newegg.com shows 17 low-profile video cards.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...profile&Page=1

I'd probably pick either the ATI 2400Pro or the nvidia 8400GS. I think your power supply would probably hold up with either one of those.

Thanx for the really good and quick answer! It's so cool when people that knows a lot helps! I'm gonna check for those ones...

Jeff

I have the same computer and want to add a second monitor. The system has a single VGA output from the main board. Can I just add a graphics card with a VGA output or do I need a card with two VGA outputs?

Blog Entries
    You need a card with 2x outputs. Only the newer motherboards support hybrid SLI/Crossfire..
    Q6600@4Ghz | i7 920@4.4Ghz |E6320@3.5Ghz
    FAQ's ~ Team Stats
    My PC

TechIMO Folding@home Team #111 - Crunching for the cure!

Double Monitor Card

What card should I get?

dell optiplex

I have this model as well, there is a replacement piece for the case that enables you to flip the graphics card horizontally. It is $26 from Dell. I had bought one of the slimline gphx cards and the heatsink from the card hit the heat sink from the processor. Waiting on the horizontal converter from Dell.

this gives you plenty info and will help you make a choice i suggest you read it

the dell optiplex gx 620 desktop aka picture from way up above will not take many cards because of it's upgrading problems e.g can't upgrade the power supply (psu) and the psu can only go to a max of 280 watts on this model so you need to look for a card that works without having to connect extra cables. The card slot can give a max of 24 watts on it's own so you need to find a card that uses less than this so a good choice would be to get the ATI Radeon HD 5450 because thankfully AMD has given us tons of info about this card and many others they also told us what the maximum whatt usage of this card is and it is 19 whatts full load and about 6.5 whatts idle but this is only on the passive cooling model this means it has no fan if you want to check for yourself look here---- ATI Radeon™ HD 5450 Graphics -----and no this link isn't broken ----- this will give you all the specs the whatt indication is all the way at the bottom and this is the pic of the amd version----- http://www.amd.com/PublishingImages/.../PNG/40818.png ----- or just click on overview on the first link to look at the pic and don't worry the heat sink for this version made by amd will fit in the dell optiplex gx 620 desktop but may not allow for another card remember this isn't a crazy high end graphics card so it won't work well if you have your extreme high end graphics card game set to max settings but will work well if you set these games to medium settings or on low settings and because of it's low price at around 40 to 50 dollars us it truly is a great choice for the price conscious gamer that want's something that will work well without spending a ton on upgrading or buying a new system

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What is the color of the sky?

Thread Information