+ Reply to Thread

Installing/Running 2 Video Cards at once?

I'm running a Sapphire Pure CROSSFIRE 3200 Advantage PC-A9RD580Adv (For 939) Motherboard, I got a Geforce 6800GT and recently bought the PNY Geforce 9600 GT.

I was wondering if there was a way that I could make my two vid cards run as one, so succesfully combine them with Crossfire.
    I'm not gonna use them to like, install multiple screens, I'm really looking for a way to make them work together. I know it's a long shot, but I thought I might try here.

Hope some of you guyz have the knowledge to help me, coz I'm a few braincells short to sort this one out myself :d

- Thx in advance

- Pure aka Dennis

Blog Entries
    Welcome to TechIMO.

Nvidia cards: SLI
    ATI cards: Crossfire

You basically need 2 of the same model ATI cards for Crossfire.
    http://game.amd.com/us-en/content/im...hart_Dec07.jpg

Same goes for SLI.
    So, you will NOT be able to combine your 2 cards together for better performance.
    Also, Your motherboard does NOT support SLI.

Oh ok. Thx for the fast reply btw. So, if I would want to combine video cards, I'd want to buy a newer AM2 motherboard that has SLI capability, and get myself a second Geforce 9600, preferably from PNY too?

I heard from someone today that combining cards would only give you like 30% more performance. Do you guys know if that's true and if it's actually worth it to do this then?

Quote Originally Posted by [TiN]mKc[Pure] View Post
    Oh ok. Thx for the fast reply btw. So, if I would want to combine video cards, I'd want to buy a newer AM2 motherboard that has SLI capability, and get myself a second Geforce 9600, preferably from PNY too?

I heard from someone today that combining cards would only give you like 30% more performance. Do you guys know if that's true and if it's actually worth it to do this then?
    That's correct. You need an SLI-Compatible motherboard with 2 PCI-Express x16 slots to run SLI. You also need another GeForce 9600. Doesn't have to be the same manufacturer, but that's the safest way to go. As for the 30% performance increase thing, that's not necessarily true. Really, it all comes down to what games you're playing. Older games are not optimized to take advantage of multiple cards, and thusly you won't see a performance increase.With newer games, you may see anywhere from a 0-100% increase in performance, although it'll typically be somewhere in the 20-60% range. As for the question about SLI being worth it: If you're an enthusiast in modern gaming, SLI offers a decent performance improvement over a single card, and is probably worth it. If you're not, you don't need SLI. Sorry for this massive block of text, by the way.
    Last edited by HeroesForGhosts; March 26th, 2008 at 12:40 AM.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What planet do we live on?

Thread Information