+ Reply to Thread

My samsung syncmaster wont turn on

im almost positive it dead but im wondering if any of you think theres hope for it.
    Its a Syncmaster 906BW about 3-4 years old pluged into my GTX260 as a second monitor.

the first monitor works fine.

but the samsung refuses to power up.

The blue light arround the power button fades on and off every 5 seconds, but the screen stays black.

no searching for signal.

ive downloaded the driver for this and has had no effect.

Quote Originally Posted by urfate View Post
    im almost positive it dead but im wondering if any of you think theres hope for it.
    Its a Syncmaster 906BW about 3-4 years old pluged into my GTX260 as a second monitor.

the first monitor works fine.

but the samsung refuses to power up.

The blue light arround the power button fades on and off every 5 seconds, but the screen stays black.

no searching for signal.

ive downloaded the driver for this and has had no effect.
    THe manual says that the Monitor is in Power Save mode. When you first turn it on, does it show you the Samsung Logo or Connection Type, it should display something before it goes into that mode. If so try changing the source to make sure you have it set to the correct mode, VGA for the blue cable, DVI for the white cable. If that doesn't work, make sure you have set yourt computer to display to both monitors, if you haven't done that it won't send the signal to the monitor, thus the sleep mode.

JohnnyB

possible fix

Quote Originally Posted by jtbrehm View Post
    THe manual says that the Monitor is in Power Save mode. When you first turn it on, does it show you the Samsung Logo or Connection Type, it should display something before it goes into that mode. If so try changing the source to make sure you have it set to the correct mode, VGA for the blue cable, DVI for the white cable. If that doesn't work, make sure you have set yourt computer to display to both monitors, if you haven't done that it won't send the signal to the monitor, thus the sleep mode.

JohnnyB
    Hold down the power button and the auto button. if that doesn't work try the power button and the source button.

-osborn street

I ave same problem, the auto or source buttons do nothing

This problem is all over the web, with a bunch of "solutions" that do nothing. Beware Samsung monitors.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by bobjones2007 View Post
    This problem is all over the web, with a bunch of "solutions" that do nothing. Beware Samsung monitors.
    Hi Bob,

As you can see from the post dates, the original user that had the problem never responded to answer our questions or let us know what he tried that worked or not (2 years have gone by actually). Due to that we cannot move along in the troubleshooting process, and we start with the simple things because that is the best place to start when troubleshooting. I have kicked myself in the foot for not doing that to many times and I always remind myself, KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid). In any event Bob, if you are having issues, let's not knock the brand name, they have great products that have held up over the years, I know people with Samsung monitors that are 8+ years old and still running strong.

Instead I encourage you to create a new post with your problem, send me a message with a link to it, and let us help you troubleshoot and try to resolve it. Make sure you give lots details about your monitor, make, model, etc. And lots of details about the problem, what you have tried already, etc. Keep in mind we are doing this to be helpful and give back to people, we aren't making money from this.

Thanks,
    JohnnyB

Wherever your post went ...

Open it up and you'll probably see blown capacitors. Take one each (I think there are two types) down to an electronics shop and buy replacements - be careful about the height of the capacitors. If they are too tall they won't fit.

Fixed mine. It was easy. I'm using it now.
    Obama: "If you like your Ebola, you can keep your Ebola!"

I have the same problem. My monitor is a Samsung SyncMaster 950p, although the screen has been replaced with a 1600x1200 screen. It is from a long time ago, about the time that everything was made beige. It was working just fine until last night, when I decided to work on something in the middle of watching Craig Ferguson (yes, I stayed up THAT late) when SURPRISE! It won't turn on. It connected to my computer just fine, and when it does connect, my computer shuts of it's built-in display and tries to use the monitor as one (due to settings I had in place when the monitor worked). The issue is that it won't turn on. The power button won't light up, and neither will the screen. Tell me, does THAT happen when the capacitors are blown?

PC Upgrade Procrastinator ShyguyXPC's Avatar
    Yes it can happen with a bad capacitor if its one that deals with the power on system in the display. Capacitors can be used for all over the system/circuit board, they just temporarily store power for various components, so if its bad or defective, it can in fact affect whatever system its tied to.

I have a video card with a capacitor that fell off, the card won't power on at all because of it, the fan on it works (if connected directly to the power supply via an adapter), but the rest of the card won't power up, and as a result with the fan connected to the card, that won't run either.

in the same way, if the Cap is defective for the monitors power on/off systems, it will/can affect it.

It could also be other components or internal parts that have gone bad as well, but only way to tell is to take it apart and look, or have a certified technician take a look.
    i7 940//Corsair H60//EVGA X58 SLI LE//6GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz//2x EVGA GTX 560 Ti FPB SLI//NZXT Hale82 850W//CM 690 II Advanced//Win7 64//WD 74GB V-raptor, 750GB Black, 1.5TB Green

TechIMO Folding@home Team #111 - Crunching for the cure!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What planet do we live on?

Thread Information