+ Reply to Thread

Connect two monitors to one computer with one VGA port

Hey so I would like to connect another monitor to my computer, but I only have one VGA port.... Someone help me out?

More info is needed, what video card?
    onboard video?
    What size/resolution monitors are being used?
    I use a Matrox dual head togo splitter at work to span my desktop between 2 LCDs

Quote Originally Posted by JPMiller View Post
    More info is needed, what video card?
    onboard video?
    What size/resolution monitors are being used?
    I use a Matrox dual head togo splitter at work to span my desktop between 2 LCDs

I have two monitors, one is a 20 inch widescreen while the other is a 19 inch. Video card shown below. Resolution currently being used by the 20 inch is 1600 by 1200. Both monitors have vga ports. I only have one port free.

Well it looks like you have a 945 chipset, so I assume your using onboard Intel graphics...
    Unless you want to upgrade (IF you even can)... you'll need something like Matrox DualHead2Go Analog Edition...
    Matrox Graphics - Products - Graphics eXpansion Module - DualHead2Go
    A possible better option is to open your case and determine if you have a PCI-E or AGP slot to install a low-end dual output video card in

Quote Originally Posted by JPMiller View Post
    Well it looks like you have a 945 chipset, so I assume your using onboard Intel graphics...
    Unless you want to upgrade (IF you even can)... you'll need something like Matrox DualHead2Go Analog Edition...
    Matrox Graphics - Products - Graphics eXpansion Module - DualHead2Go
    A possible better option is to open your case and determine if you have a PCI-E or AGP slot to install a low-end dual output video card in
    ... I'm not really in the position in upgrade... more information about my system is available at New Video Graphics card advice for Dell GX 620 I asked about upgrading to a new card here, but cannot buy the card... Too expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by wojx View Post
    ... I'm not really in the position in upgrade... more information about my system is available at New Video Graphics card advice for Dell GX 620 I asked about upgrading to a new card here, but cannot buy the card... Too expensive.
    You say the card in the other thread was to expensive, have you shopped around? There are graphic cards much cheaper than the 5670 suggested, for example:Newegg.com - Open Box: ASUS EN8400GS Silent/P/512M GeForce 8400 GS 512MB 64-bit DDR2 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card (this is not a gaming card). You never mentioned what your computer uses were so I assume that this is basically an internet office computer being that you are running onboard graphics.
    "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." - George Santayana

$32 gets you a nice upgrade and dual monitor support...
    No other upgrade necessary...
    Newegg.com - PowerColor AX3450 256MD2-H Radeon HD 3450 256MB 64-bit DDR2 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card
    No other option is cheaper and this is a huge upgrade over what your using now

PC Upgrade Procrastinator ShyguyXPC's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cajunheat View Post
    You say the card in the other thread was to expensive, have you shopped around? There are graphic cards much cheaper than the 5670 suggested, for example:Newegg.com - Open Box: ASUS EN8400GS Silent/P/512M GeForce 8400 GS 512MB 64-bit DDR2 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card (this is not a gaming card). You never mentioned what your computer uses were so I assume that this is basically an internet office computer being that you are running onboard graphics.
    Mentioned in the other thread, some gaming use, which is why we suggested the 5670, if they couldn't afford that, should of said something and we could of suggested some lesser priced, but barely suitable for gaming, cards.
    i7 940//Corsair H60//EVGA X58 SLI LE//6GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz//2x EVGA GTX 560 Ti FPB SLI//NZXT Hale82 850W//CM 690 II Advanced//Win7 64//WD 74GB V-raptor, 750GB Black, 1.5TB Green

TechIMO Folding@home Team #111 - Crunching for the cure!

Quote Originally Posted by ShyguyXPC View Post
    Mentioned in the other thread, some gaming use, which is why we suggested the 5670, if they couldn't afford that, should of said something and we could of suggested some lesser priced, but barely suitable for gaming, cards.
    Yeah. ShyguyXPC was in on that thread. It is a home office computer that I occasionally like to game on. Ideally, I would buy that card at Newegg, but its always in and out of stock.

Right now, I want to use my current card and see if there is a way to connect the two monitors I currently own with VGA ports and cables to connect to the computer with one free VGA slot. Not too interested to spending too much money....

Any other options besides the Matrox DualHead2Go Analog Edition
    seems expensive.
    Last edited by wojx; September 22nd, 2010 at 04:02 PM.

Do you want to run two monitors with the extended monitor feature on the second screen? If not (meaning you get the same identical screen on both monitors) then a vga splitter can do the job.

Quote Originally Posted by Kellie Dobbie View Post
    Do you want to run two monitors with the extended monitor feature on the second screen? If not (meaning you get the same identical screen on both monitors) then a vga splitter can do the job.
    I would like to use the extended monitor feature with different images on each screen.

Quote Originally Posted by wojx View Post
    I would like to use the extended monitor feature with different images on each screen.
    Then that's called have your cake and eat it too. Or in your case, impossible. One output is one output. Period.

PC Upgrade Procrastinator ShyguyXPC's Avatar
    i7 940//Corsair H60//EVGA X58 SLI LE//6GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz//2x EVGA GTX 560 Ti FPB SLI//NZXT Hale82 850W//CM 690 II Advanced//Win7 64//WD 74GB V-raptor, 750GB Black, 1.5TB Green

TechIMO Folding@home Team #111 - Crunching for the cure!

duel mon

Quote Originally Posted by Kellie Dobbie View Post
    Hi, I recently bought a one into two cable, where one end goes into the computer VGA out and the two mon are connected to the two output on the other end of the cable, but only one monitor looks of the other is blurr

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What is 10 and 5 added together?

Thread Information