+ Reply to Thread

PNY GeForce GT 430 freezing problems.

Hey everyone, I could use some help.

A few months back I bought a new PNY GeForce GT 430 for my Compaq Presario SR1000 as I wanted to starting playing games. When I was playing world of Warcraft after a while my computer would just freeze and become totally unresponsive. The only way to continue was a manual shutdown. At first I thought it was just an isolated WOW issue as it stopped once I disabled the card and had been working on an older game. But yesterday I installed Portal and had the same problem.

My computer runs an AMD XP3000 processor I think. Could this be the problem? All drivers are up to date and the fans are running. I also have a new PSU capable of supporting the card.

Just wondering whether my base computer can't handle the GPU.

Any thoughts???

PC Upgrade Procrastinator ShyguyXPC's Avatar
    Is the card overheating?

Fan running on it?

What Power Supply did you buy for it?
    i7 940//Corsair H60//EVGA X58 SLI LE//6GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz//2x EVGA GTX 560 Ti FPB SLI//NZXT Hale82 850W//CM 690 II Advanced//Win7 64//WD 74GB V-raptor, 750GB Black, 1.5TB Green

TechIMO Folding@home Team #111 - Crunching for the cure!

I don't think that the card is overheating. The fan on it is still running when it freezes and it doesn't feel hot. However I can't be sure as I can't access any system info when it happens. I bough a 670W PSU which also continues to run and the fan continues.

I would note that the fan faces the bottom to the tower but I guess this is the case with all cards.

Unhappy Same problem with gainward GT 430 1Go

hello everyone,

I've got the same problem. I've just changed my "old" GT220 for a gainward GT430 1Go, fanless, as I wanted to obtain a PC a bit less noisy.

Everything was alright during the installation process : removal of the GT220 drivers (the same drivers, by the way : 285.62 for win 7 32bits), removal of the board, then installation of the GT430, re-installation of the 285.62 Nvidia drivers.

Perfect, everything runs. Then, freezing problems began, even when Windows doesn't work with heavy games or applications. Never got those problems with my GT220.
    And I don't want to test all the previous old nvidia drivers to find "the one" which could fit with the GT430 GPU.
    I think this GPU does NOT work properly. Or maybe I've bought the wrong board.

I think there are too many suspicions about the power supply: mine is an excellent 550W one.

... next time I will buy an ATI GPU !...

"I think there are too many suspicions about the power supply: mine is an excellent 550W one."

Yeah, well, what is the exact model and brand of your PSU, 550W doesn't mean a dang thing if its a low end crap brand PSU.

GT 430's do work, may be a bad GPU or card. Sometimes Windows 7 itself screws up and is unable to communicate with the Video drivers which can cause these problems. It happens to both Nvidia And AMD/ATI Cards, so its not one brand of the other, its a Windows/Drivers Problem.
    i7 940//Corsair H60//EVGA X58 SLI LE//6GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz//2x EVGA GTX 560 Ti FPB SLI//NZXT Hale82 850W//CM 690 II Advanced//Win7 64//WD 74GB V-raptor, 750GB Black, 1.5TB Green

hello,

>Yeah, well, what is the exact model and brand of your PSU
    Gigabyte Super B (550W).

>It happens to both Nvidia And AMD/ATI Cards
    You know, I always curse my choice of equipment when it doesn't work properly, but I don't give up too quickly, and I still have got a preference for nvidia GPU !!
    I don't know why... My first GT220 had a problem, too !! (the card was really responsible: black screens with windows 7, that never came back once replaced by another brand new GT220 card).
    And I've never got problems with ATI/AMD. And yet, when I need a new graphics card, I always look for what's new at nVidia products first !

Regarding my GT430 problem, I'm going to test several things before sending it back to the shop. I will let you know the results.

Smile

hello everybody,

here are some news !

I think I've found out what was going wrong with my GT430 card.
    I have shut off the gigabyte motherboard "DES" utility (energy saver), and the freezing problem didn't come back. This utility never caused problems with the GT220; I guess that my GT430 is less tolerant with the electricity consumption fluctuations of the motherboard.

Anyway, my card rehabilitates itself !
    Good thing for my nvidia preference !

cool, great to know, have to remember that next time something like this comes up.

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by ShyguyXPC View Post
    have to remember that next time something like this comes up.
    I see, but you know it can be useful for the suspens...
    First, you talk about your disappointment, and then when you find out the solution, that's a great sight of relief !

I will be wiser next time, anyway

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What is 10 and 5 added together?

Thread Information