+ Reply to Thread

VGA card for 350w PSU??????

the psu came free with the casing. the name of the casing is "Gigabyte Chassis"

output
    +12V - 18A max
    +5V - 28Amax
    +3.3V - 20A max
    -12V - 0.8Amax
    +5VSB - 2Amax

input
    230VAC
    50HZ
    4AMAX

system tuns on 4gig ram
    core2quad Q8400
    win7 ultimate.

What is the best vga card suitable for the above power supply/?

PC Upgrade Procrastinator ShyguyXPC's Avatar
    What is the brand of the PSU? Model?

Look at the label on the PSU.

Really don't know why so many people ask what Video card would work best with such & such PSU, when it really should asked What PSU would be needed for such & Such a card.

More to the point, is people should know WHAT video card they are looking at, then decide if the PSU is enough for it, if not, and if the PSU can be upgraded, do that.

The way this thread and others like it are commonly worded, it makes one think that if a person needs to know what card will work with the listed PSU, then does that person really even NEED a Video card upgrade?

With that said, are you using Onboard graphics on the motherboard currently? Using a Dedicated Existing Video card, and if so What is the card thats already in there?

What are you doing on this PC, that makes you want to upgrade the video card?

Probably most important is what kind of Budget are you looking at for spending?

Also would help to know exactly What Gigabyte case this is, as they make more than just one. in case it uses a smaller sized PSU, or smaller interior dimensions, limiting video card choices.

What Motherboard is running in the system? Helps to know in case you are using Onboard video, and knowing what onboard it currently has.

there's a lot of details left out that could help make a choice.

But the budget is an important one, might even be enough in the budget to upgrade the PSU if its a less than desirable one, along with a video card choice.
    i7 940//Corsair H60//EVGA X58 SLI LE//6GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz//2x EVGA GTX 560 Ti FPB SLI//NZXT Hale82 850W//CM 690 II Advanced//Win7 64//WD 74GB V-raptor, 750GB Black, 1.5TB Green

TechIMO Folding@home Team #111 - Crunching for the cure!

Quote Originally Posted by ShyguyXPC View Post
    What is the brand of the PSU? Model?

Look at the label on the PSU.

Really don't know why so many people ask what Video card would work best with such & such PSU, when it really should asked What PSU would be needed for such & Such a card.

More to the point, is people should know WHAT video card they are looking at, then decide if the PSU is enough for it, if not, and if the PSU can be upgraded, do that.

The way this thread and others like it are commonly worded, it makes one think that if a person needs to know what card will work with the listed PSU, then does that person really even NEED a Video card upgrade?

With that said, are you using Onboard graphics on the motherboard currently? Using a Dedicated Existing Video card, and if so What is the card thats already in there?

What are you doing on this PC, that makes you want to upgrade the video card?

Probably most important is what kind of Budget are you looking at for spending?

Also would help to know exactly What Gigabyte case this is, as they make more than just one. in case it uses a smaller sized PSU, or smaller interior dimensions, limiting video card choices.

What Motherboard is running in the system? Helps to know in case you are using Onboard video, and knowing what onboard it currently has.

there's a lot of details left out that could help make a choice.

But the budget is an important one, might even be enough in the budget to upgrade the PSU if its a less than desirable one, along with a video card choice.

thnx for the quick reply.
    i had a engt220 1gb..it broke due to too much gaming
    i dont know the model number of the casing, but it is a big one and can definitely fit any card.
    max budget is 150.00AUS
    computer is used only for gaming n downloading,
    using onboard vga at the moment
    dead island wrks with it on 1024*760 resolution

i really need an upgrade cause graphics are soooooo low............
    but i have no idea of the vga cards out there which can support my psu

model number of PSU is ATX sumthing

Australian Dollars... well, not sure about AUS retailers, maybe one of our aussie or UK members could point to a known good one, as I only know a few Canadian & UK/EU retailers outside the US. But $150 max budget, based solely on the PSU info posted (with out knowing the exact model or brand of the PSU, if there is no brand listed, then I'd highly consider replacing the PSU, as that info should be printed clear as day on the label)

Most cards in the $150 range wouldn't run with that PSU anyways, so $150 is more than enough for a replacement PSU and a decent Video card upgrade.

Hmmm, I notice (google search) Mwave is also down in Australia, sort of familiar with their US/Canadian site, so I'm just going to use them as an example for this reply.

Online Computer Store - Computer Deals - Discount Computers

Buy Cheap Antec NEO ECO 400C 400W Power Supply, 1 x Main connector (20

(I KNOW for a fact this unit is a good unit, I have this in a build I did for my brother, actually redoing that build with some different parts, and using a 520W model of the same series. But this unit is enough to run a basic gaming system, with a Celeron Dual Core, and a Geforce GTX 260 1792MB card in it, total power consumption of that system is VASTLY more than what you were running, just with my video card alone, which runs about 182W by itself, not factoring in the rest of the systems consumption, so it will definitely be enough, and a trusted brand name.)

the PSU has 30A on the +12V, and more than enough to run most $150 range cards as well.

your Core 2 Quad is one of the low end/mid range models, so shouldn't be that power consuming (looks like its only 95W)

Just using Mwave as an example, you might be able to find these for cheaper, but its a bit over your budget, just over $160 or so Not factoring in shipping.

Buy Cheap Inno3D GeForce GTS 450 Video Card - GDDR3 1024MB 128Bit VRAM

Buy Cheap Antec NEO ECO 400C 400W Power Supply, 1 x Main connector (20

But its a starting point.

Antec, Corsair, Seasonic, Silverstone, Coolermaster, Thermaltake, FSP, OCZ, just to name a few of the good name PSU brands, something in the 400-500W Range with at least a good 30A on the +12V (or 30 combined +12V if multiple rails, 360W +12V if it doesn't show Amps), and at least one PCI express 6 pin connector, and you should be fine.

For the Video cards, Geforce GTS 450, Radeon 5750/5770 (or 6750/6770, their the same cards, just rebadged 5700 series), for the price range. or lower than that, a Radeon 6670 would be suitable too. Any of these cards are at least 3 to 5 times more powerful than the old GT 220 ever could be. All of them listed above are about 110W or less in power consumption, but also just barely fit into the budget range when factoring in the need for a replacement PSU.
    i7 940//Corsair H60//EVGA X58 SLI LE//6GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz//2x EVGA GTX 560 Ti FPB SLI//NZXT Hale82 850W//CM 690 II Advanced//Win7 64//WD 74GB V-raptor, 750GB Black, 1.5TB Green

is gt550ti possible?
    its only 420 dollars here
    their is no brand name
    it only says model number as ATx sumthin

i dont hv a 6 pin connector in my psu and i checked the PSu again
    it says model ATX C355C, no brabd is written
    this one of the cheapest stores in australia http://www.msy.com.au/Parts/PARTS.pdf

420 Dollars for a GTX 550 TI? Even with the US to AUS Conversion thats way off.

But if that was a typo on your part, yes the GTX 550 Ti would be a good card, slightly better than the Radeon 6770 in performance, and still runs well under the 150W range.

Looks like in that PDF link you posted for that shop, the cheapest 550 Ti is $129.

leaving less than $20 for a PSU, and you DO NOT want to skimp on a cheap PSU since its the heart and soul of a PC, it goes, your whole system could be taken out with it.

looking at that list I see several brands that stick out as quality PSU's, Corsair, Seasonic, Antec, Coolermaster, Thermaltake, .... Oooooh, they have Seventeam, thats a known good brand as well, maybe not as high up the ladder as Corsair, Seasonic, Antec, but its a good brand, mainly sold over seas in UK/EU, but a few of those have made their way to US, though most retailers I use don't sell them anymore.

Seventeam makes units for various companies as well, just like Seasonic and FSP/Fortron Source. Over the years some of Silverstone, Coolermaster, and a few others were made by Seventeam. Just like today, a lot of Antec, Silverstone and Corsair are made by Seasonic.

I'm not sure what the +12V Amp ratings are on that Seventeam ST-505PCG model listed for $40 is, but if it has a 6 Pin PCIe connector and can handle a good 30-35A on the +12V (whether its a single rail or combined rails) it should be a decent unit to put in.

Looking at this image of the unit: http://www.taelectronics.com.au/prod...369d94bd91.jpg

looks like its Dual +12V rails, 15A each, but it does not state the combined +12V total, some units the total can be the actual total, most units the total is less than what basic math tells you (it could be a full 30A, or it could be something like 20 or so when combined). With out that listed I'd be a bit wary to use that unit then. Even from a known good name.

Looking at that list, next best thing up past that, not just price wise, would the listed Antec Neo Eco 450, or the Corsair CX 430.

Either one of those would be a good choice. Have used the Neo Eco 400, and also have a 520. And have used the predecessor CX 400 model of that Corsair (my current main rig PSU is a Corsair TX 750)

If you can swing an extra $10-20 your best bet would be one of those 2 latter PSU's, and their cheapest Radeon 6770 card.

otherwise you'd have to step down to the next best card which would be the 6670 Radeon.

Which isn't a bad card really, it lands between the 6750 and the older 5670 it replaced in performance.

Its miles ahead of the GT 220 you had (I also have one of those, and only used it briefly in another system)

LOLZ accident, not 420, 142 dollars,hikzzZzz

i am going to get the asus gtx550Ti n the A-Power 680 psu,whole system is on warranty period, so even if sumthing happenzz, no problem,........i mi8 even get an i3 or sum processor lyk tht, since core2quads are out production

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What is the color of the sky?

Thread Information