+ Reply to Thread

I'm looking to get the most out of what I've got

I was just given an older computer and am looking to get the most out of it.

It was a custom built baby, and this is what I know...

Motherboard- Asus P5GD1-VM
    Intel Pentium 4 530j 3.0GHz 800FSB
    512MB RAM PC3200 CL3 DDR
    Elite V60 w/350 Watt power supply
    I can not find any info on graphics card.

I'm just barfing up what was written on the sales receipt...I don't know much about what I just wrote down.

Being a 7 yrs old system, I'm guess I can probably cheaply upgrade enough to give my 9yrs olds a system to play some older games on.

Researching the motherboard I beleive I can upgrade to 4GB of ram (4 184pin 1gb slots?) Searching on ebay, I beleive I can purchase these for about $40.

Finding the best compatable video card though, is where I am having trouble. Does anyone have any recomendations?

What other upgrades do you suggest? (other then buying a system that isn't 7yrs old )

Thanks!
    Last edited by ekcut; November 3rd, 2011 at 02:12 PM.

You will not be able to use all the 4GB of RAM with a 32bit operating system, so 2GB will be enough, especially for the sort of games that will play on that machine.

Graphics card is probably of the AGP variety. Have a look on the back of the case, where is the monitor cable plugged in, at the top with all the rest of the ports or lower and horizontal.

If it's at the top it is on board graphics and will be horrendous. Crack open teh case and make sure it has an AGP slot, you can find pictures or take one for us.

Assuming you do have an AGP slot, you'll probably only get old cards off eBay which probably won't last very long.

What games are you planing to play?

Oh and Welcome to Techimo.
    Last edited by Wasted; November 4th, 2011 at 08:00 AM.
    Windows 7 Professional 64, I7-920 @ 3.8, ASUS P6T Deluxe V2, 6Gb Corsair Dominator @ 1448, 2 x Gainward GTS 460 1Gb, System: 90Gb Corsair Force 3
    Games: 2 x 150Gb Velociraptors in RAID 0

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What is 10 and 5 added together?

Thread Information