+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Big step up?

Big step up?

Would a Radeon 6770 be a big step up from a Nvidia GT 240 DDR5?

its a step up, but not so sure its exactly a leap...
    depends on what you expect from it...
    Whats the rest of the system, because if anything else is a bottleneck, there wont be any difference.

Quote Originally Posted by JPMiller View Post
    its a step up, but not so sure its exactly a leap...
    depends on what you expect from it...
    Whats the rest of the system, because if anything else is a bottleneck, there wont be any difference.
    well im pretty much expecting to run Skyrim on high settings. i have 4gb ram, and an intel dual core 2.6ghz. i was thinking about getting a 6870 instead of the 6770

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I just bought a GT 560 TI and am using a Q6600 proc and I'm bottlenecked. Really sucks that I have to build a whole new system.

Quote Originally Posted by Taxmancometh View Post
    I just bought a GT 560 TI and am using a Q6600 proc and I'm bottlenecked. Really sucks that I have to build a whole new system.
    how are you bottlenecked? what does that exactly mean?

He probably meant his Q6600 is the bottleneck. Meaning his CPU is the limitation on his PC's performance. He can put in two 590's and probably wont perform much better unless he gets a better CPU.

So how this applies to your situation I think they mean your CPU will be a bit of a bottleneck. If it is an Intel Dual Core 2.6 then it is probably an old CPU? So no need to spend too much on an expensive graphics card since with your current CPU a more expensive card wont make much difference. Though you should be able to put in a 6850 and see enough difference. But I'm only guessing here.

Post your complete system specs and you will get a better answer from the other guys.
    Link to my TechIMO TOP 30 Submision:
    http://www.techimo.com/forum/general...ml#post2827529

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jaqu View Post
    He probably meant his Q6600 is the bottleneck. Meaning his CPU is the limitation on his PC's performance. He can put in two 590's and probably wont perform much better unless he gets a better CPU.
    Exactly. I plan on building an i5 system soon.

Ultimate Member thephilosophizer's Avatar
    Well, he did link a 1155 pentium, not a 775. Assuming that's the case, there shouldn't be too much of an issue. Though, a better question might be how much can you afford to build a system best capable of running the games you're interested in.
    I would add, that in considering a new card, you should bear in mind that the graphics card should be the single most expensive component of your rig. If you've got more than $200 to spend, then upgrading your cpu and gfx card might be a good idea, but less than that, I'd say sink what you can into the gfx card. Check out Tom's best cards for the money for some advice on what to go with.
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance does whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine

Quote Originally Posted by thephilosophizer View Post
    Well, he did link a 1155 pentium, not a 775. Assuming that's the case, there shouldn't be too much of an issue. Though, a better question might be how much can you afford to build a system best capable of running the games you're interested in.
    I would add, that in considering a new card, you should bear in mind that the graphics card should be the single most expensive component of your rig. If you've got more than $200 to spend, then upgrading your cpu and gfx card might be a good idea, but less than that, I'd say sink what you can into the gfx card. Check out Tom's best cards for the money for some advice on what to go with.
    Im just gonna get an AMD Phenom 840 X4 along with my 550w OCZ Fatality PSU and my Radeon 6870. I don't think it will be bottlenecked, & hopefully will run Skyrim good.

Quote Originally Posted by thephilosophizer View Post
    Well, he did link a 1155 pentium, not a 775.
    You're correct sir, I seemed to have missed that. Still, it's "only" a Pentium Dual Core (without hyperthreading), 2.6GHz, 3MB LLC. This CPU is comparable to an old E7400. So it would still be a bottleneck at some point. At what point I can't say. The 6870 should be good with this CPU.
    Link to my TechIMO TOP 30 Submision:
    http://www.techimo.com/forum/general...ml#post2827529

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What is the color of the sky?

Thread Information