+ Reply to Thread

Huge problem, no games playable thanks to our lovely NVIDIA.

Hi,

I'm gonna explain this decently, but I'm quite pissed off at the whole NVIDIA thing.

Issue: I got 1 integrated graphic card and 1 NVIDIA card. I played previously with the NVIDIA card and it's worked fine. The first time it happened (from 9) I updated my drivers for NVIDIA. Installation worked flawlessly. Everything installed, and no errors. I didn't did a "clean" install so the settings would have saved, but they didn't. I set the control panel to only run programs with the NVIDIA card and Skyrim, Bioshock, practicly EVERYTHING to use the NVIDIA card. It doesn't work. They can't detect it.

Actions before this happens: Installing an NVIDIA driver update, using sfc /scannow, reinstalling the driver, and there tons more.

Things I did to solve it: Looked on google EVERYWHERE. and there is nothing I could find that is the same as this. Only some stuff with Ubuntu, but I got windows 7 64 bit.

-Reinstalling the NVIDIA driver
    -Uninstalling driver > clean up files using mutiple programs (today it was Advanced SystemCare) > Clean registry > restart > install NVIDIA driver. (also tried with "Clean" Installation)
    -Trying to turn off Optimus (is impossible) but couldn't find anything.
    -Virus Scan > MalwareBytes and VIPRE > Perfectly clean.
    -Downloaded an application that checks how good your graphic card is and it couldn't detect the NVIDIA one, only the integrated crap from Intel.
    -Tryed re-installing Direct-X using some software I doubt was stable. Didn't change anything.
    -Turned off the Intel Graphic card to let Windows 7 force to use my NVIDIA. Unfortunately disabling it makes the NVIDIA not work at all (Control Panel not working and not listed in Device Manager)
    -Downloaded the driver and modifed .inf from NVIDIA & Laptop News | Latest NVIDIA drivers and related news | laptopvideo2go.com. Applied the .inf (overwritten) and than installed the driver.
    -Looked in BIOS to turn off the integrated chip. No luck
    -Upgraded by BIOS
    -Upgraded my NVIDIA card
    -Upgraded my Intel card and updated

How did I solve it the previous 8 times: Wiping the harddrive and reinstalling windows entirely. For 8 times....

I'm seriously angry at the moment. I do everything to get my computer decent. Two full scans of VIPRE every week, MalwareBytes scans. Defragmentation. Everything to keep it running smoothly. It pays off well, but every time I need to reinstall Windows 7 because of this nonsense. I simply want to play a game with steam and it doesn't work whatever I do.

README

As a HUGE note: I think it could be a Optimus problem as when I installed Skyrim and got a .dll (from direct-x) in the folder to let a mod work it doesn't use the NVIDIA card but the Intel one. It couldn't detect my NVIDIA card. I removed the .dll (d3d9.dll) and it detected it fine and it ran fine. I couldn't install mods because of this. Now I can't play any game.

My specs:

Computer Model: Dell XPS L501X
    Processor: Intel Core i5 CPU
    Graphic Card: GeForce GT 420M
    Direct-X: Direct-x 11
    RAM: 4GB DDR

I would be SOOOOO happy if someone could figure out why it doesn't work. This is so annoying. Don't get me wrong NVIDIA is good but this just pretty much pissed me off...

~Lifell
    Last edited by Lifell; November 21st, 2011 at 09:53 AM.

PC Upgrade Procrastinator ShyguyXPC's Avatar
    This would be the appropriate Nvidia Drivers for your graphics chip:

NVIDIA DRIVERS 285.62 WHQL

and the most current according to Nvidia's site, unless Dell has there own special versions for that laptop.
    i7 940//Corsair H60//EVGA X58 SLI LE//6GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz//2x EVGA GTX 560 Ti FPB SLI//NZXT Hale82 850W//CM 690 II Advanced//Win7 64//WD 74GB V-raptor, 750GB Black, 1.5TB Green

TechIMO Folding@home Team #111 - Crunching for the cure!

Quote Originally Posted by ShyguyXPC View Post
    This would be the appropriate Nvidia Drivers for your graphics chip:

NVIDIA DRIVERS 285.62 WHQL

and the most current according to Nvidia's site, unless Dell has there own special versions for that laptop.
    Got same driver but a less older version. I got 285.97.

Dell also has this same driver but it's a completely outdated version of the same driver. So no go . About the extra, they all have different versions.

Which is pretty weird. I'll check for sure anyway

~Lifell

Why don't you do the OS Restore? Takes your system back to the installed hard drive image.

Quote Originally Posted by osprey4 View Post
    Why don't you do the OS Restore? Takes your system back to the installed hard drive image.
    Because I wanted to install the lastest version to play Skyrim more smoothly... Also I'm not in the mood restoring everything all the time.

But I check now than...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What planet do we live on?

Thread Information