+ Reply to Thread

GPU Power connectors

Hello,
    I have a question regarding my gpu's six pin connector. I recently purchased a gtx 560 ti and i still want to use my old card which is a gts 450 so i figured I would dedicate the physx to the gts 450. My question is, i only had two 6 pin connectors and my 560 is currently using them. The 450 needs only one and i have a converter cable that splices out one six pin out to two 4 pin connectors which i attach to my powersupply. I only have one 4 pin available to plug it into with my psu. Do i need to plug in both of the 4 pin connectors or will just one due? I have a picture of the situation attached. I'm probably not easy to understand. Im not entirely sure what the cable is called and whatnot but hopefully the picture will help. Also, my powersupply is a 700watt psu. Is that enough power to run both cards? or am i bottle-necking my system?

Thank you,
    Brian
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails GPU Power connectors-1122111257.jpg  

PC Upgrade Procrastinator ShyguyXPC's Avatar
    Some 6 pin adapters only use a single 4 Pin, but most in past years use 2x 4 pin to a single 6 pin.

Main reason is so that each 4 pin connects to a separate bundle of cables coming out of the PSU. I think it mainly has to do with Multiple +12V Rail PSU's, so that any one single rail isn't overloaded beyond its max, especially when both/all rails are being used.

What exact models of Xion 700W is that in the pic, can't read it?

Whats the total +12V Amp or Wattage rating on the sticker (of more than one +12V Rail list all of them, if it lists the combined +12V Wattage list that as well)

I don't think the 700W PSU is too weak to run those cards, as their both lower powered, the 450 being the lowest at less than 110W of power (106W), but GTX 560 Ti should be another 170W on top of that.

plus factor in what the rest of the system uses roughly and there should be more than enough power. But would be nice to know what the +12V Amp/Wattage ratings are.

As to use the 450 for PhysX, realistically you won't get much extra boost from games using PhysX from using the 450 along with the 560 Ti.

(I know, I've tried this, with my GTX 470 being my primary card, and my previous GTX 285 card for PhysX in some games, only saw a few extra FPS over not using the 285 and running PhysX on the 470 alone. Its also why I'm not going to waste the time running a dedicated GPU for PhysX with my system Upgrades, which currently is a single GTX 560 Ti, waiting on a 2nd for SLI, and I could throw in a 3rd or 4th additional card for PhysX and whatever else, the only stuff I would throw in a 3rd or 4th card for is Folding@Home uses)

In most cases its usually not worth the extra space used, power consumed, heat generated, etc. If your into something like Folding@Home, you could use the 450 to run F@H while gaming or something. Or if you used some sort of Video Encoding/Transcoding Programs, or Video editing/rendering programs, they could be run on the 450 while use of 560 Ti for other things.

Or use of additional Monitors beyond just 2 supported by the 560 Ti.

Whats the rest of your system specs? CPU, RAM, Motherboard, OS?

Bottlenecking is usual a reference to Data Bandwidth Choking. Either the CPU is too weak to let the GPU run at its Optimal Performance, or the GPU is run on a PCI Express x16 slot with a reduced Bandwidth rating (for example, an x16 slot with x4 bandwidth for top end cards) or something like that.

Power Supply related issues, aren't really Bottlenecking. Its simply too little power to run the card, or the Card is running but putting too great a demand on the PSU causing it to work harder beyond its rated limits and overload it, potentially burning it out, and even damaging the rest of the system.

But that 700W Xion should be enough for the system, but would be nice to know the rest of the system specs before saying yay or nay on that (as well as the +12V Ratings for the PSU)
    i7 940//Corsair H60//EVGA X58 SLI LE//6GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz//2x EVGA GTX 560 Ti FPB SLI//NZXT Hale82 850W//CM 690 II Advanced//Win7 64//WD 74GB V-raptor, 750GB Black, 1.5TB Green

TechIMO Folding@home Team #111 - Crunching for the cure!

Thank you for the fast reply. The model of my psu is xon-700p12n. I cant make heads or tails of that chart but maybe the model number will help. I plugged in my GTS 450 as shown in the picture and it seems to be running fine. I also noticed as far as Mafia II goes, the fps were alot better dedicating my 450 to physx so maybe it just depends on the game.
    My full specs are:
    Windows 7 64 bit
    Gigabyte MB P55A-UD3
    i5 760 (OC'd to 3.4ghz)
    8gigs DDR3 1600
    1tb 7200rpm hdd
    GTX 560 Ti
    GTS 450

If this is your PSU: Xion PowerReal 700W Review

though its about 4 years old, or it could be a newer revision of it in your system, you should be fine on it, plenty of +12v power to go around and then some.

Yeah, PhysX depends on the games usually, some work better with it, others not as much.

also depends on what your frame rates are to begin with, for example if you were doing 20-25fps or so before the PhysX card, and 30 or so after its a decent jump. Where as if you were already doing 40+ before the card and now doing 50 or so, probably not going to notice much.

In my case, I was already in the upper 40's and mid to upper 50's in the games I tried in, and only got maybe 5 to 10fps better which wasn't really noticed a whole lot. some games were run with V-sync so with the monitor refresh rate at 60Hz, probably also why I didn't see much improvement.
    i7 940//Corsair H60//EVGA X58 SLI LE//6GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz//2x EVGA GTX 560 Ti FPB SLI//NZXT Hale82 850W//CM 690 II Advanced//Win7 64//WD 74GB V-raptor, 750GB Black, 1.5TB Green

Banned
    Blog Entries
    How does one use one card for PhysX? I noticed in your sig that you use a GTX 285 for PhysX.

You would go into nvidia's control panel and under physx, you can dedicate one of your cards or even your processor to physx.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I see now. I just never noticed that in the control panel.

BTW- I have a GTX 560 TI too, but I'm bottlenecked due to my CPU being a Q6600.

All We Are Asking Networker4321's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ShyguyXPC View Post
    Some 6 pin adapters only use a single 4 Pin, but most in past years use 2x 4 pin to a single 6 pin.

Main reason is so that each 4 pin connects to a separate bundle of cables coming out of the PSU. I think it mainly has to do with Multiple +12V Rail PSU's, so that any one single rail isn't overloaded beyond its max, especially when both/all rails are being used.

What exact models of Xion 700W is that in the pic, can't read it?

Whats the total +12V Amp or Wattage rating on the sticker (of more than one +12V Rail list all of them, if it lists the combined +12V Wattage list that as well)

I don't think the 700W PSU is too weak to run those cards, as their both lower powered, the 450 being the lowest at less than 110W of power (106W), but GTX 560 Ti should be another 170W on top of that.

plus factor in what the rest of the system uses roughly and there should be more than enough power. But would be nice to know what the +12V Amp/Wattage ratings are.

As to use the 450 for PhysX, realistically you won't get much extra boost from games using PhysX from using the 450 along with the 560 Ti.

(I know, I've tried this, with my GTX 470 being my primary card, and my previous GTX 285 card for PhysX in some games, only saw a few extra FPS over not using the 285 and running PhysX on the 470 alone. Its also why I'm not going to waste the time running a dedicated GPU for PhysX with my system Upgrades, which currently is a single GTX 560 Ti, waiting on a 2nd for SLI, and I could throw in a 3rd or 4th additional card for PhysX and whatever else, the only stuff I would throw in a 3rd or 4th card for is Folding@Home uses)

In most cases its usually not worth the extra space used, power consumed, heat generated, etc. If your into something like Folding@Home, you could use the 450 to run F@H while gaming or something. Or if you used some sort of Video Encoding/Transcoding Programs, or Video editing/rendering programs, they could be run on the 450 while use of 560 Ti for other things.

Or use of additional Monitors beyond just 2 supported by the 560 Ti.

Whats the rest of your system specs? CPU, RAM, Motherboard, OS?

Bottlenecking is usual a reference to Data Bandwidth Choking. Either the CPU is too weak to let the GPU run at its Optimal Performance, or the GPU is run on a PCI Express x16 slot with a reduced Bandwidth rating (for example, an x16 slot with x4 bandwidth for top end cards) or something like that.

Power Supply related issues, aren't really Bottlenecking. Its simply too little power to run the card, or the Card is running but putting too great a demand on the PSU causing it to work harder beyond its rated limits and overload it, potentially burning it out, and even damaging the rest of the system.

But that 700W Xion should be enough for the system, but would be nice to know the rest of the system specs before saying yay or nay on that (as well as the +12V Ratings for the PSU)

Shy,

You ARE the man. So patients with new members but even more important, So detailed with questions AND answers. I know you taught me anything I know about GPU's and folding. I still have on long post I printed out from 2 years ago. Coffee stains, desk detritus, you name it. Just want you to know you are appreciated.

I went in when I saw the question and when I saw you had replied already I just backed up quietly,,,left no tracks,,,

Have a great Thanksgiving Day.

Thanks.

Just been posting a bit in the last 24 hours or so, as I had been putting in a lot of hours at work this past week & half, by end of this week I'll have in 38 hours, but when factoring in Time & Half from Sunday and Tomorrow, it will be closer to 46 hours. Hoping I can get in a good 20-30 next week too, make the next paycheck a whopper and maybe get that 2nd 560 Ti for my gaming PC.... also hopefully by then the corporate offices will have mailed out my 15 year pin and Gift card ($150), and can get that new phone as well.

Most of what I post is stuff I remember from reading up on. ironically when I read most GPU reviews and other reviews, articles I usually skim the contents a lot for the real important info and leave much of the techno mumbo jumbo talk out of the equation as sometimes it makes my head hurt, and I know those new to the topic, it would make their heads implode LOL. But rest of it I know from personal experience, as do many others here. Take for example the PhysX stuff above.

All We Are Asking Networker4321's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ShyguyXPC View Post
    Thanks.

Just been posting a bit in the last 24 hours or so, as I had been putting in a lot of hours at work this past week & half, by end of this week I'll have in 38 hours, but when factoring in Time & Half from Sunday and Tomorrow, it will be closer to 46 hours. Hoping I can get in a good 20-30 next week too, make the next paycheck a whopper and maybe get that 2nd 560 Ti for my gaming PC.... also hopefully by then the corporate offices will have mailed out my 15 year pin and Gift card ($150), and can get that new phone as well.

Most of what I post is stuff I remember from reading up on. ironically when I read most GPU reviews and other reviews, articles I usually skim the contents a lot for the real important info and leave much of the techno mumbo jumbo talk out of the equation as sometimes it makes my head hurt, and I know those new to the topic, it would make their heads implode LOL. But rest of it I know from personal experience, as do many others here. Take for example the PhysX stuff above.

Don't have any 15 year pins but have 3 (10) years pins. I don't get O/T as an "exempt" employee, never really understood how that term applied.

But you ARE a solid resources. We need more like you. What ever happened to Aaron? He was no SHY but usually had a good grasp of whatever concept and salient input.

Problem is, this new bunch of kids don't read as much as the previous. Either that, or they retain bupkus,,,

LOL, Aaron's still around, posts when I'm not on usually, or if I haven't replied, so does a few others.

I think Karma and Aaron and a couple others spend a bit more time over on Overclock.net than I do, but their still around.

I agree with the fact todays kids don't take the time to read things through or do as much research to learn things, too many are given Tech at an early age and its stuff they don't need to learn how to operate due to the layman User Interfaces we have now days (*Cough* *Cough* Apple/Macintosh *Cough*) and the like.

But there's many many more examples than that.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What is the color of the sky?

Thread Information