+ Reply to Thread

Need a graphics card and help understanding eyefinity

hi, building a new pc (rough spec below) and need a new graphics card.

i5 2600k
    16GB ram
    SSD OS HDD
    Corsair 600w cx600 (40amp on the 12v)

Don't play games but have been given a copy of shogun 2 I'll probably try, nothing much more taxing than that though. The main apps I use are stuff like photoshop and illustrator. Definitely need dual screen support on DVI or HDMI.

Which leads me to a question about eyefinity. I understand what eyefinity can do but not sure of how its setup. If I get an eyefinity enabled card that has 1xDVI, 1xHDMI and 1xVGA does that mean I can use all three as display outputs?

Been looking at these:

Gigabyte ATI Radeon 6770 775MHz 1GB - £70
    Sapphire ATI Radeon 6750 HD 700MHz 2GB - £72
    XFX ATI Radeon 6770 HD 850MHz 1GB - £75
    Asus ATI Radeon 6770 850MHz HD 1GB - £80
    Asus GeForce GTX 550 Ti 900MHz 1GB - £90
    PNY GeForce GTX 550 Ti 900MHz 1GB - £90

Any other suggestions would be good. Don't really want to spend much more than £90, unless theres something a little higher that returns significantly better results?

Saying that, I did look at this:
    XFX ATI Radeon 6850 HD 800MHz 1GB XXX - £110

Does seem quite a step up from the others and has dual DVI, HDMI and display port plus 3D (doubt I'd use it). worth that extra £30?

PC Upgrade Procrastinator ShyguyXPC's Avatar
    Eyefinity Supported cards need at least one DisplayPort Output, the ones listed with out that as far as I know can not use Eyefinity.

on top of that, the DisplayPort output needs an Active DisplayPort Adapter (basically powered), to be converted into a DVI or HDMI output, unless you have a Monitor with a DisplayPort input on it.

Then the other 2 connections can be used for output for Triple Monitor setup, or on some cards, 4 to 6 outputs.

If your only going Dual Display, you don't need Eyefinity, if your planning on Triple display or more, the Eyefinity is what you want.
    i7 940//Corsair H60//EVGA X58 SLI LE//6GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz//2x EVGA GTX 560 Ti FPB SLI//NZXT Hale82 850W//CM 690 II Advanced//Win7 64//WD 74GB V-raptor, 750GB Black, 1.5TB Green

TechIMO Folding@home Team #111 - Crunching for the cure!

Quote Originally Posted by ShyguyXPC View Post
    Eyefinity Supported cards need at least one DisplayPort Output, the ones listed with out that as far as I know can not use Eyefinity.
    If your only going Dual Display, you don't need Eyefinity, if your planning on Triple display or more, the Eyefinity is what you want.

so eyefinity is for 3 or more screens with at least one being a displayport. Does that mean the Asus 6770, for instance, can still do dual screen on any two of the three outputs it has?

It actually mentions eyefinity on some of them cards even though theres no displayport. Thats why i''m a little confused by the whole thing.

PC Upgrade Procrastinator ShyguyXPC's Avatar
    yes, Any of the cards can do dual display, using any of the 2 or 3 connections it has.

HDMI & DVI, DVI & VGA, HDMI & VGA, DVI & DisplayPort, HDMI & DisplayPort, VGA & DisplayPort, etc etc.

Yeah not sure why it lists Eyefinity, since its supposed to be used with a DisplayPort enabled card.

Unless it supports Eyefinity in Crossfire mode with another card that has a DisplayPort or something, but not sure why else it would list that.

AMD Eyefinity FAQs

AMD Eyefinity technology was introduced in AMD's latest line of ATI Radeon™ HD 5000 Series graphics products which includes the following:

AMD Radeon™ HD 6870 GPUs
    AMD Radeon™ HD 6850 GPUs
    ATI Radeon™ HD 5970 GPUs
    ATI Radeon™ HD 5800 Series GPUs
    ATI Radeon™ HD 5700 Series GPUs
    ATI Radeon™ HD 5670 GPUs
    ATI Radeon™ HD 5500 Series GPUs
    ATI Radeon™ HD 5450 GPUs
    ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD 5400 Series or higher GPUs

Note: These products support up to 6 display pipelines per GPU and the total number of display pipelines depends on the GPU as implemented by the manufacturer.1 Also, at least 3 simultaneous, active display outputs, including one DisplayPort™ connector are required to support AMD Eyefinity technology. Please consult the manufacturer of a particular product to confirm if it supports this feature.
    i7 940//Corsair H60//EVGA X58 SLI LE//6GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz//2x EVGA GTX 560 Ti FPB SLI//NZXT Hale82 850W//CM 690 II Advanced//Win7 64//WD 74GB V-raptor, 750GB Black, 1.5TB Green

TechIMO Folding@home Team #111 - Crunching for the cure!

thanks, makes it easier to choose a card now thats cleared up. looks like just poor descriptions from the manufacturers getting things confused.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What is the color of the sky?

Thread Information