+ Reply to Thread

need [Graphics] advice

Hi I have never really owned a computer before and got a used one for pretty cheap refurbished.I just bought it to play optishot golf simulator and understand I need to buy a graphics card to make it run well.Just hoping someone could help me buy one that will make the game run optimally on my system. Got a HP Pavillion elite 9400f computer and am clueless as to what anything means in regards to the cards. Thank you for any advice

Hey Freddy, and welcome to the forum...

As far as I can tell from the following links, your HP should run the game OK...
    Maybe if you explained any problems you are having, someone could offer better advice.

Game PC Requirements

Computer Specs

Video Card details

Cheers

oh, ok after a little research I now know that my computer comes with card already that should work. Apologys for wasting your time I guess my computer is not as primitive as I believed. Would a new card make the display more dazzling on hdtv or would it make no difference at all.Pardon my new guy questions and thank you for help

im still waiting for unit in the mail so i actually was trying to simultaneously order parts i may need so I dont know yet if there are problems

The unit may not have an HDTV output on the Video Card. If that is a requirement for you, then let us know a budget for the replacement, and I'm sure someone will have recommendations for you.

What is you Budget for buying it and what is your computer specifications

[He who is Nude..] Nude_Lewd_Man's Avatar
    Advice:

Put a better description.

I've seen the light... It was green, flashy and attached to a Network Interface Card...
    Whenever someone says "You can't miss it", I invariably do...

TechIMO Folding@home Team #111 - Crunching for the cure!IE Team111 FAQs TEAM STATS Apps

ok my computer is exactly like the links in the second post. it has that 3650 card already installed, Has video output that I can put straight into my tv. I think I may be golden to play the simulator. Just curious if a more powerful card would improve the graphics or would make negligible difference

PC Upgrade Procrastinator ShyguyXPC's Avatar
    hard to say, if the game/simulator is more Graphics intensive then yes it would help, but you'd only be able to use an upgrade to a certain point since the CPU you have is an older Phenom Quad core, low speed, and would be a bottleneck on larger more powerful graphics cards.

but if the Game is more CPU intensive, then a faster CPU would probably do better, assuming you could even get one for that older system. I think the quad you have was one of the fastest available for the old platform.

It should be a Socket AM2+ motherboard, and there were a couple of early crop of Phenom II X4's that worked on AM2+ Boards as well, those are no longer made though, but if there is a Bios update for your systems motherboard that will support them, I'd try looking around see if you can find one online, Craigslist, Ebay, etc, but it has to be a Socket AM2+ Phenom II, only 2 of them I know of, can't remember their names off hand.

but they were clocked in at around 3GHz or so.
    i7 940//Corsair H60//EVGA X58 SLI LE//6GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz//2x EVGA GTX 560 Ti FPB SLI//NZXT Hale82 850W//CM 690 II Advanced//Win7 64//WD 74GB V-raptor, 750GB Black, 1.5TB Green

TechIMO Folding@home Team #111 - Crunching for the cure!

Uggh... Stupid computer is upside down....

Yes there was a few AM2+ Phenom II X4 processors released heres one Phenom II X4
    Only problem is that if you do find one.... they are quite expensive

And if you really are concerned about your graphics card I would say a cheap alternative would be a AMD Radeon HD 6450

6450 wouldn't be a worthwhile upgrade from an older 3650 IMO (though newer tech, it only has half as many Stream Procesors and runs on a 64-bit memory bus, also half of what the 3650 has). 6500 series would be a better choice.
    i7 940//Corsair H60//EVGA X58 SLI LE//6GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz//2x EVGA GTX 560 Ti FPB SLI//NZXT Hale82 850W//CM 690 II Advanced//Win7 64//WD 74GB V-raptor, 750GB Black, 1.5TB Green

On an unhelpful but related side-note, that simulator looks like fun!
    A bit more realistic than a Tiger Woods game on my console.
    Good luck running it, and I hope your ceilings are high enough.

Oops I had copied the wrong link... AMD Radeon 6570

there we go

Thanks for all your advice much more helpful than weird guy at used computer store. I finely got the unit set up and it runs ok on low graphics settings but is still pretty choppy. I was one key away from buying the 6570 card you mentioned but saw that it says minimum power supply is 400w problem because my computer only has 350w. Question is there a card I could get with my meager power output that would help at all because I feel like its pretty close to being real smooth. thanks in advance

[He who is Nude..] Nude_Lewd_Man's Avatar
    I've helped....by changing the thread name just now.
    I've seen the light... It was green, flashy and attached to a Network Interface Card...
    Whenever someone says "You can't miss it", I invariably do...

TechIMO Folding@home Team #111 - Crunching for the cure!IE Team111 FAQs TEAM STATS Apps

should of gotten the 6570, uses about as much power as the old 3650 did, and runs several times better.

the 6570 only uses 60-66W or so of power. the 3650 was using less than 75W.

Depending on what your Power supply specs were, Brand, Model, Amp Rating for +12V rail, you probably could easily run the 6570 on it.

the higher wattage ratings listed for cards is for the sheer amount of crap, low end, low out put rated Power supplies. Basically its saying the average crap brand 400W unit should have enough Amp rating to run this card.

You could easily run a 6570 on a quality brand 300W PSU with out having to worry about anything.

yeah, that card should work, looks like your PC has a 350W Delta PSU, with an 18A +12V rail, the Radeon 6570 would only use about 5.5A of that, the rest should be enough to run the system on.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What is the color of the sky?

Thread Information