+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Graphics Card Upgrade.

I have a desktop with the following configuration:
    Intel core i3 @ 2.93 ghz
    Intel DH55TC motherboard.
    2 X 2 GB DDR3 RAM
    500 GB hard disk.
    And I think the max output of my SMPS is 400W.

I'm not happy with the integrated grpahics so I decided to go in for an external card.
    Will a 128-bit 2 GB DDR3 card work with my computer? If yes, which brand do you suggest? I'm open to any chipset.

I suggest an 6XXX ATI card! If you'll check my post you will see that I am looking for an 6XXX ATI too! ATI 6570 takes around 60w (I'm not very sure)!

PC Upgrade Procrastinator ShyguyXPC's Avatar
    Whats the Brand of Power Supply, also try and post the +12V Amp Rating of the PSU as well.

Whats your budget for spending on the card (keep in mind the PSU may need to be upgraded as well)
    i7 940//Corsair H60//EVGA X58 SLI LE//6GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz//2x EVGA GTX 560 Ti FPB SLI//NZXT Hale82 850W//CM 690 II Advanced//Win7 64//WD 74GB V-raptor, 750GB Black, 1.5TB Green

TechIMO Folding@home Team #111 - Crunching for the cure!

That is a picture of my PSU.

How good are sparkle graphics cards? I was considering this one.

GeForce GT 430-1G | Sparkle Computer :: Innovative Graphics Card

Will it work on my system? If not, should I upgrade anything else?

The card given in the link is 1GB and I'm considerign a 2 GB.

Man, that power supply needs replacing as well. 17A on the +12V is atrociously low, especially considering the specs of your PC.

You'll need to replace it with something much better before popping in a new Video card.

What are you doing with your PC? Gaming? Video editing? Etc?

What games are you trying to play if thats what your doing?

as to Sparkle Brand, their not bad, just not very popular.

Sparkle also Makes Power Supplies, and is actually owned By FSP also known as Fortron or Fortron Source, so they're a decent brand name.

as to 1GB vs 2GB... 2GB is wasted on a low end card like the GT 430, and should only be considered for higher end $250-300+ video cards.

2GB memory is really only good, currently, for Resolutions/displays over 1920x1200 or higher. or if your Spanning a game across 2 or more monitors.

as to the Power supply, depending on your uses for the PC, and Video card of choice, a Good 400-500W PSU from companies like Antec, Corsair, Seasonic, Enermax, OCZ, PC Power & Cooling, Coolermaster, Thermaltake, and several others, should suffice.
    i7 940//Corsair H60//EVGA X58 SLI LE//6GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz//2x EVGA GTX 560 Ti FPB SLI//NZXT Hale82 850W//CM 690 II Advanced//Win7 64//WD 74GB V-raptor, 750GB Black, 1.5TB Green

I'll just need the card for playing games and watching movies. Nothing more than that.
    Fifa, nba, car racing like nfs, call of duty, counter strike and some other first person shooter games.
    Will a 128-bit 1GB DDR3 suffice?

Many of these graphics cards require PCI Express 2.1 but my motherboard supports only 2.0. Will that be an issue?

I was considering a 2GB sparkle because where I live, the difference is just 10 USD. Lol. What about a 2GB on the GT440 sparkle? Is it worth the buy and will it run on my system? Assuming I change the PSU also.

Do you have any specific chipset in mind? How are powercolor amd radeon cards? Was looking at them as my option for 1GB.
    Last edited by furious.99; February 7th, 2012 at 06:30 AM.

There's no such thing as PCI Express 2.1 really, there is a 2.1 standard, but it was never really implemented, ATI/AMD started pushing PCIe 2.1 compliant spec Video cards, but it never really caught on.

PCIe 2.1, is 2.0 with some minor insignificant specs of PCIe 3.0, which is still not used. 3.0 won't be available until Intel's "Ivy Bridge" Core series CPU's debut soon, as some boards are capable of using 3.0 once those CPU's come out. AMD still has yet to implement 3.0 on their CPU's and Boards.

Any Nvidia Based Current gen GPU's will be 2.0 spec, and AMD are 2.1 Spec.

But for the most part, 1.0, 1.1, 2.0, 2.1 and 3.0 are all backwards compatible.

The only issues is Bandwidth saturation for top end cards used on older spec slots.

For example a Top end current gen card used on an older PCIe 1.0 x16 slot, might be choked a bit by the older slots max bandwidth, but for the most part will work in it.

On the 2GB memory capacity, as I said its wasted memory, you'll never use that much Video memory on a low end card. These lower end cards just don't have the power to even process that much data for higher resolutions where the 2GB will come in to play.

I'd save the $10 on the card and just get a 1GB and be fine with that.

The GT 440 is the same card as the GT 430, but with faster clock speeds.

For basic uses like you described its not worth it, But for gaming, you might get a few extra frames per second out of it over the 430, but not much really.

This comparison shows the GT 430 DDR3 vs GT 440 DDR3 models:

Video Card Comparison - GPUReview.com

As you can see the clock speeds are faster on the 440, not that much really.

The only thing the 440 has thats better is Texture Fill Rates, since it has more Texturing Units on it over the 430.

But aside from that, its not much different.

Do you have a link to where your looking at cards from.

In the US here, the GT 440 is usually priced similar to the Radeon HD 6570 and 6670, and if it were me, I'd be looking at one of those 2 cards instead.

In general in gaming, the 6570 and 6670 easily beat the GT 430, and I suspect it should easily beat the GT 440 as well, since the 6670 comes close to the GTS 450 in performance.

Thanks a lot

Btw, my OS is windows 7 32-bit.

I'm from India and this is where I was seeing graphics cards.

Graphic Cards Price List India: Computer Components: Flipkart.com

The list is filtered according to 1 GB and my budget.

I've narrowed down my choices to GT440 and AMD radeon 6570.

Video Card Comparison - GPUReview.com

Is there any difference between these 2 cards regarding the technologies? If yes, which card supports more tehcnologies? And what does Shader Version mean? What is the equivalent of that in the GT440?
    Last edited by furious.99; February 7th, 2012 at 09:32 AM.

For the most part their featuring similar tech, for gaming and basic use, its a moot point.

for things like CUDA Apps (Nvidia's GPU Programming Language) or FireStream, which is what AMD's cards use, Then the various features would be important.

If you had a program that required OpenGL 3.2 support, then you would need to make sure the card supports OpenGL 3.2 or newer

If you needed OpenGL 4.1 or better, then the Radeon would be the one to get, since the Nvidia one only supports 3.2.

But based on your Gaming list, these are a moot point, as to Shader version, it refers to this...

High Level Shader Language - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Too much to explain on here, better to read that and get an idea on. But mainly has to do with what games and software support for Graphics.

Both cards support Pixel Shader 5.0 and Vertex Shader 5.0.

so its not an issue right now, since few games even use that high of version of Shader Model. I think most still use 3.0 and 4.0 spec.

Between the 2 cards, I would go for the 6570, as its a bit more powerful in games than the GT 440.

if you can swing for the 6670 instead, I'd get that, as its almost and in some time equal to a Radeon 5750/6750 card.

In that list, the Radeon 5670 would be acceptable too, but its comparable in performance to the cheaper priced 6570.

Any one of those 3 though, 6570, 5670, or 6670 would be better than the GT 440/GT 430 cards IMO, for gaming uses.

Also looking at the PSU's on that site, I listed them pricing from low to high, this is the lowest priced quality 400W range PSU that I would get: Flipkart: Corsair CMPSU-430CXV2UK 430 Watts PSU: Psu

it has 28A on the +12V Rail, and is one of the top brands out there.

and will be more than enough to run your system with your specs, plus a new video card.

I'm not sure what your total budget is for these upgrades, but I wouldn't do any GPU upgrade until you had the PSU installed, rather than chance overloading the one that is in there now, and frying the entire PC.

Thank you so much

Which one of these 3 chips are more powerful?

And there are 3 brands manufacturing cards using these chips - Sapphire, HIS and Powercolor. The graphics card names of powercolor read amd radeon, but the names of sapphire and HIS cards read AMD/ATI radeon. Which one do you suggest?

Sorry if I'm asking too many questions, I'm totally new to gaming hardware.

Depends on the GPU your talking about.

If you mean the 6570. There all the same. AMD Bought up ATI a few years ago, and with the Radeon 6000 series Did away with the ATI brand altogether, now being called AMD Radeon.

Sapphire, Powercolor and HIS all make the same cards, just change the look of the cards with colors, Heatsink Styles, some may be factory overclocked, etc.

HIS has always been on the high end side for Radeon Cards, one of the first brands to implement the Dual Slot Blower style heatsinks that are all common these days.

They used a special version of the original Arctic Cooling VGA Silencer GPU Cooler back in the day, and still use variants of it today.

Powercolor has been around for a long time as has Sapphire. Sapphire has some nice innovative Cooler designs on their higher end Vapor-X series cards (Radeon 6700, 6800 and 6900 Series cards), and Powercolor has a couple nice Hybrid Dual GPU Cards (Radeon 6800's etc).

Really comes down to the Price and Warranty length for these cards though.

XFX on the other hand, not listed in your post, but is one of the best brands for Warranty and Quality cards.

Usually the best Brands for Video cards are XFX for All Radeon Cards (and a couple low end Geforce models) and EVGA for Nvidia Cards.

But you'd need to mention which cards your looking at specifically before we can say for sure, if your talking about the 6570, or 6670, or GT 440, post the links for the 3 cards, so we can look at the cards specs if their listed and compare them.

Let me check out xfx too. And I meant, out of the 3 amd chips you mentioned, which one is the most powerful? Is it the 6670?

Btw, what is the difference between DDR5 and DDR3? Does DDR5 consume more power too?
    Last edited by furious.99; February 8th, 2012 at 12:24 PM.

as I mentioned the 6570 is the cheaper one, the 5670 is similar in performance, but the 6670 is the one I'd go for. the 6570 is a slower spec version of the 6670. the 6670 performs close to the 5750 and 6750 which is another class up from it.

Looks like I'll go for the 6670! Any specific brand in mind?

XFX, based on Warranty, but any brand will be fine aside from that, I'd make sure the cooler design it uses can fit in your case, as these can vary from card to card though.

but XFX, Powercolor, Visiontek, Sapphire, HIS, MSI, Gigabyte, many of these are all similar in quality/performance. Comes mainly down to price and warranty.

Thank you so much! You have been very helpful

How good is the 6770? I was thinking of buying that instead. What is the difference between DDR3 and DDR5? Is my system good enough and compliant to support that card? And also, I have only the 32-bit edition of Windows 7. Is that a hindrance to the GPU or gaming as such?
    Last edited by furious.99; March 31st, 2012 at 02:15 PM.

a month and half later and still no chosen card yet?

6770 is even better yet, than the 6670, uses more power, but DID YOU look at what I said about the Power Supply Needing Upgrading? If your thinking the 6770 now, you NEED to upgrade that Power Supply As Well.

I kept stressing that in prior posts but you seemed only concerned about the GPU, if you want to possibly overload your low end PSU, kill the System and the new GPU, by all means do so, but if not, REPLACE that power supply before you install any new Video cards.

GDDR3 and GDDR5 are just different bandwidths of data. GDDR5 is a bit faster and greater bandwidth than GDDR3, power wise, its a bit more power consuming, but sometimes it doesn't make a difference, depends on the clock speeds it runs, etc etc.

Is your system good enough for the 6770, technically yes, aside from the POWER SUPPLY.

Windows 32-bit, not really a hindrance on the GPU, but you WILL lose some of your 4GB Of RAM with a 1GB or any video card installed.

If you install a 1GB Video card, you will have just under 3GB of RAM to use for Windows, if you put in a 2GB GPU, you'll have under 2GB of RAM.

Windows 32-bit can ONLY address up to 4GB of System Memory (RAM, Cache Memory from CPU, Drives, etc, GPU Memory, etc), so if you have 4GB of RAM installed, take that 4GB, and subtract the amount of GPU memory, CPU Cache Memory, Hard Drive/DVD Drive Cache memory, and so on, from the 4GB Amount and that would be roughly how much RAM you'll have in Windows to use.

64-bit opens that up, to I think 128GB or 192GB max System memory in Windows. 64-bit's max memory it can see and use is VASTLY greater than that, some where in the Terabytes or Petabyte range if I remember right.

But Windows, something to do with the way its coded only can use up to 128 or 192GB or so of RAM/System Memory.

But if your now looking at a 6770, see if they have a Radeon 7750 for about the same price, the 7750 performs close to the 6770's performance, and uses half as much power, in fact it uses less power than the 6670 uses. With the power drop, it should also run cooler as well.

Hahaha. I will buy one soon man. Just saving up some cash for it. And thanks a lot again
    Of course I will replace the PSU as well. Will a 450W PSU with sufficient wattage suffice for the 6770?
    Last edited by furious.99; April 1st, 2012 at 04:09 AM.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What is the color of the sky?

Thread Information