+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Graphics Card for 250 watt PS

Hello,

I would like to know what my best option is for a graphics card. I have this computer right here:

HP Pavilion a4310f Desktop PC Product Specifications HP Pavilion a4310f Desktop PC - HP Customer Care (United States - English)

(the specs are in the link)

and I'd like to know what this PC is capable of in terms of gaming. I have a 250 watt PSU, which might hinder this a bit. I don't know how much I could upgrade, but I am assuming I need a low profile card. I have one PCIE x16 slot.

I am not looking for 1080p, 60 FPS gaming. I would just like to know if I could maybe run some modern games like The Witcher 2 or Skyrim on low/medium settings with no AA, etc.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by MO_Mighty View Post
    ....I have a 250 watt PSU, which might hinder this a bit..... but I am assuming I need a low profile card..... I have one PCIE x16 slot....

Near as I can tell, there is no need for a low profile GPU... The PSU on the other hand will need an upgrade...
    ◄ it is what it is ►

PC Upgrade Procrastinator ShyguyXPC's Avatar
    yep.

Post a budget on what you have to spend for these upgrades, and we can suggest some that will/may work.

I notice the specs state a Quebec keyboard kit... are you in the US or Canada?
    i7 940//Corsair H60//EVGA X58 SLI LE//6GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz//2x EVGA GTX 560 Ti FPB SLI//NZXT Hale82 850W//CM 690 II Advanced//Win7 64//WD 74GB V-raptor, 750GB Black, 1.5TB Green

TechIMO Folding@home Team #111 - Crunching for the cure!

What's a good budget?

I can most likely go for ~$250-300 dollars, but the lower the better.

I am from Canada, sorry about that.

Are PSU's easy to replace? And would a different PSU conflict with anything else in the computer?

This is only the 3rd time I typed this, because touch pads suck, so bad.

No apology needed, many of out members are from Canada.

Power supply conflict is not the right question, it is just a power supply, (no program, or drivers)

What can go wrong, is
    Wrong physical size (we wouldn't recommend the wrong size)
    Too small in watts (we wouldn't recommend too few watts)
    Not a brand name (we only recommend brand name)
    Getting the right PCI-e plugs (even if it doesn't have them, cards usually come with adapters, as well as you can buy them separately)

We will recommend one with, the correct plugs, for the card we recommend.

If Shyguy doesn't come back, I'll recommend something, but he'll be back.
    He should be doing this professionally.

If all you need is a power supply, and a video card, for $300, you can get a pretty high end gaming rig.
    Not the low end of high performance, but well into it.

Edit

Unless you have no mechanical ability, what so ever, like my stock broker Brother-in law, it is easy to install.

4 screws on the back of the computer, and the plugs.
    Take a picture of the inside, if you are worried about the plugs, but it is pretty hard to mix them up.

We will still be here anyway.
    Last edited by stroyal; February 28th, 2012 at 01:17 PM.
    Hard Sayin Not Knowin

Can you take a picture of the inside of your PC, so we can get an idea of how much room is in there to mount a new Card?

make sure its a view we can clearly see the motherboard in, with cables out of the way if possible.
    i7 940//Corsair H60//EVGA X58 SLI LE//6GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz//2x EVGA GTX 560 Ti FPB SLI//NZXT Hale82 850W//CM 690 II Advanced//Win7 64//WD 74GB V-raptor, 750GB Black, 1.5TB Green

Ok I will take a picture later this week when I get some time.

It will most likely be over the weekend some time, I don't have much time currently.

Thanks guys for helping me, by the way. I am very new to computers and am very young but have been researching a lot lately trying to inform myself.

Guys, just another side question while I work on pictures. You guys think my CPU might bottleneck anything? It is a low end CPU, so I don't know.

I know most games today are GPU intensive, but better to be safe than sorry, you know?
    Last edited by MO_Mighty; February 28th, 2012 at 10:08 PM.

It might bottleneck something like the 6870... maybe, but not by much. The CPU you have is still a pretty decent 3GHz Dual core.

even if it is one of the lower end models.

Maybe a Card like the Radeon 6850 would be less likely to be a bottleneck.

but if thats the case, then I'd look at a Radeon HD 7770 since they're newer (though drivers for them are still a bit iffy, but should be fine for most games), and run at even lower power consumption... downside is the 7770 is around $150-160 USD currently, for some reason, why I don't know, but its almost not worth it aside from the power consumption reduction from the Radeon HD 6850 that it competes with in performance.

With your budget, if you were able to find a cheaper deal on the GPU's or scrounge up a bit more cash, you could get the PSU and GTX 460 above and then upgrade to something like this Quad or Triple core.

Newegg.ca - AMD Athlon II X4 645 Propus 3.1GHz Socket AM3 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor ADX645WFGMBOX

Newegg.ca - AMD Athlon II X3 460 Rana 3.4GHz Socket AM3 95W Triple-Core Desktop Processor ADX460WFGMBOX

According to the HP site, your board supports those CPU's.

Ok guys, here are the photos. They were unfortunately taken with a garbage phone, as I didn't have anything else on me. I also forgot about moving the cables so the picture would be more clear, but hopefully these are good enough photos so you can judge.

First:

PC 1 picture by MightyOwned - Photobucket

Second:

PC 2 picture by MightyOwned - Photobucket

Third:

PC 3 picture by MightyOwned - Photobucket

Yeah, looks like plenty of room, might be a snug fit, but should fit none the less.

Trickiest part would be plugging in a Power cable for cards needing that, if the cable is at the @ss end of the card.

but given your budget, you could go with this set up.

CPU, PSU and GPU upgrade route.

Newegg.ca - SAPPHIRE 100315L Radeon HD 6850 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity

+

Newegg.ca - Antec EarthWatts Green EA-430D Green 430W Continuous power ATX12V v2.3 / EPS 12V 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply

+

Newegg.ca - AMD Athlon II X3 460 Rana 3.4GHz Socket AM3 95W Triple-Core Desktop Processor ADX460WFGMBOX

Subtotal: $286.97

Which is a decent upgrade over all to what you have now, CPU has one more Core, and runs a bit faster per core for all cores, GPU is still a decent lower end Mid range card, more than enough for what your wanting.

And the PSU is pretty good as well, has a good 32A for the +12V rail which is a bit high for this range of PSU, considering Corsairs 430W unit only has 28A on the +12V, and one of Antec's Neo Eco units, 400W, which I have, has 30A on the 12V.

Normally lately I'd suggest the Radeon HD 7770 for this price range, but since its still only running 128-bit memory, and the 6850 is running 256-bit memory, the latter should help more with Anti Aliasing. I know you said that wasn't something that was needed, but cards in this range are able to run with some level of AA on with decent frame rates, especially if your running below 1080p.

Witcher 2 from what I hear can be a real b*tch of a game to run on hardware, the original was pretty unforgiving on hardware, but the sequel is supposed to be pretty demanding on higher settings.

And if your like many of us, once you start playing the games at some lower settings, you'll want to see how high you can go and sacrifice frame rates to see the beautiful scenery in these games.

the CPU upgrade would help lessen any bottleneck in the system with the GPU, plus it should let you run games like Skyrim more better since some areas of that game can lag a bit with lower performance CPU's. Usually area with large amounts of AI interactions and the like.

If I didn't upgrade the CPU, could I still go with the GTX 460 or no?

I will take your suggestions into consideration. On a different board, I was suggested:

GTX 460

and this PSU:

XFX 450W Core Edition Single Rail ATX 12V 34A 24PIN ATX Power Supply 80PLUS Bronze - XFX - P1450SX2B9

You see, my budget may be $300, but honestly the lower the better.

What do you think? My original OP was made with the intention of not upgrading my PSU and getting a low profile card (hence low/medium, no AA, etc.). However, if I can get a card like the GTX 460 if I upgrade the PSU (which I will), then maybe medium settings at 720p/1080p on less demanding games with some AA would be a better approach to this now?

the GTX 460 would be fine, though its not that much faster than the 6850. If your going with out the CPU upgrade, then I'd consider the Radeon 6870 or GTX 560 instead.

the PSU listed there, the XFX, has a bit better power output, and would be sutable, however the price before Mail In Rebate, is the same as this Corsair, which is better in power, plus has Two PCI Express 6 pin connectors to plug into cards needing 2 (in this case, GTX 460, Radeon 6870, GTX 560)

Corsair Builder Series CMPSU-500CXV2 500W ATX Power Supply Active PFC 120MM Fan *3 Year Wrty* - Corsair - CMPSU-500CXV2

Though any of these units listed here, including the 430W Antec, will be enough to power the PC with any of these cards.

I think I am going to go with the Corsair 500 watt one you suggested then. So I need two PCI-e 6 pin cables to run the cards suggested?

In terms of my video card, I think I may go with the GTX 460. It appears to be the same price as the 6850, and if it is a little faster than it, then I might as well get the 460.

The 560 would put me over $200, and same with the 6870.

So what do you think? The Corsair 500 watt and the GTX 460?

And the PSU/card should fit, right? That is my biggest concern. If parts don't fit.

well with the PSU's with just one PCIe connector, for cards needing 2, you'd need to use an adapter cable, that converts one or 2 standard 4 pin connectors into a 6 pin.

The GTX 460, is a revised slightly reduced spec version of the originals, but run at a much higher clock speed than was normal, placing it at almost the same performance as the GTX 560/Radeon 6870.

as it was, the 560 was already just a faster clocked version of the original GTX 460 anyways.

the PSU should fit in the case, as should the video card, if you could take a picture of the inside of the case and post it to be sure, that would help.

But based on the pic of the case in your link in the first post above, it looks like its a standard ATX design case and should fit everything. Might be a tight fit for the video card, but should fit.

Ok, GTX 460 and Corsair 500 watt PSU it is then! Thanks!

Hey shyguy, since you requested some more pictures, I decided to take more just to make sure my case would fit everything. I took with a better camera than before too (though it still isn't very good).

Image 1:

PC picture by MightyOwned - Photobucket

Image 2:

Image 3:

Image 4:

LOL, I forgot you posted those pics, between this thread and a few others, and I've been fighting off a really bad sinus cold/infection, I totally forgot you already posted pics.

It'll fit, just as I said earlier could be a tight fit with the mounting of the card in there, and excess PSU cables.

Quote Originally Posted by ShyguyXPC View Post
    LOL, I forgot you posted those pics, between this thread and a few others, and I've been fighting off a really bad sinus cold/infection, I totally forgot you already posted pics.

It'll fit, just as I said earlier could be a tight fit with the mounting of the card in there, and excess PSU cables.
    Sorry for the bump shyguy, but I am about to order components really soon.

So everything is guaranteed to fit, including the PSU? I noticed the PSU is ATX and I have a mATX case apparently.

Am I still good to get these components? I just need some assurance here, that is all. Sorry if I am being really annoying.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What is the color of the sky?

Thread Information