+ Reply to Thread

Help! New video card not detected.

Hello, I need some help. A few months ago my nvidia geforce 9800 gt video card died on me. As a result, my computer automatically switched to it's pre-installed graphics card chip on the motherboard. So today I finally got a used EVGA 9800gt Video card and installed it into my computer. However, when i started up my computer the hardware wasn't detected. System shows that I'm still using my motherboards Graphic card. I tried to download and install the most recent drivers from evga website, but when I tried to install the new drivers I got a message saying"The graphics driver could not find compatible graphics hardware". I should note that I don't have the drivers CD since the new graphic card I got was used. Also, the fan from the EVGA video card is working, and the noise the card makes is there as well. So clearly the graphic card is working but not detected. Now I have no idea what to do.

Please help me!
    Thank you.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    You should go to Nvidia for graphics drivers.

Quote Originally Posted by Taxmancometh View Post
    You should go to Nvidia for graphics drivers.
    I did. The problem is I tried Nvidia website, EVGA website, and Cnet to download and install the newest drivers which is 295.73. However, like I said previously, during the installation part of the drivers the first message during system check that it gives me is "The graphics driver could not find compatible graphics hardware". So, the installation stops, can't continue.

This is my computer btw in case if the specs are necessary:

2008 Gateway FX 4710
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300 @ 2.50GHz
    6.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 332MHz
    Gateway G33M05G1 (Socket 775)
    512MB GeForce 9800 GT ---------> (that died, so now a EVGA 512MB Geforce 9800GT)

bump.

Super Stealthy Moderator RicheemxX's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Sorry I'm a bit confused here, how do you know the motherboard "automatically" switched to the on-board video? Did you physically disconnect the monitor from the old card and switch the cables over?

How do you have the monitor connected now?

edit: Can you post a link to your setup? Is it this one here (link)

I'd pull the new card, go download a copy of Driver Sweeper, completely remove all your old drivers and start off fresh. When you install the new 9800GT, assuming it works, the on-board should disable. When you first boot up, make sure you are connected to the card, not the on-board and see if you get any video signal. If not then you check the on-board video. The on-board should auto disable however if it doesn't you might have to check the bios and see if there might be a setting.
    Last edited by RicheemxX; March 1st, 2012 at 03:41 AM.
    Be a Liberal, blame everyone else!!

Quote Originally Posted by RicheemxX View Post
    Sorry I'm a bit confused here, how do you know the motherboard "automatically" switched to the on-board video? Did you physically disconnect the monitor from the old card and switch the cables over?

How do you have the monitor connected now?

edit: Can you post a link to your setup? Is it this one here (link)
    Yes the link you posted is the same computer I am using except now Windows 7 installed, and basically a new Video card.

Monitor is not connected to the adapter for the video card but instead to the power supply directly I believe.
    I have not touched the inside of my computer except recently to install the new video card, so no i haven't switched around cables. When my old Video card died out on me my system gave me a message saying nvidia graphics card not detected and when I opened up my case I noticed the video card was dead. So then when i used a program (Speccy) that showed me what graphics card is active it showed my on-board video card.

Blog Entries
    Monitor is not connected to the adapter for the video card but instead to the power supply directly I believe.
    What

Uh somewhere here you are even more confused than I am. If the monitor was connected to the video card then you would have had to remove a cable somewhere in order to remove the card.
    Last edited by RicheemxX; March 1st, 2012 at 04:03 AM.

PC Upgrade Procrastinator ShyguyXPC's Avatar
    Look at attached pic.

I used one of my boards and GPU as an example.

The Video cards Outputs should be connected to the monitor cable.

not the Onboard Video connectors.

Otherwise, the video card will be running and no output to display will be detected.

Thats what Rich is asking.

However the card should still be detected by the system and install the drivers, just no video output from it.

You can't connect the Monitor to the power Supply, it has its own power.

sounds like your referring to the Onboard video output NEAR the PSU.

Geforce 9800GT also needs to be connected to the power supply via the 6 Pin PCI Express Connector inside the case, coming from the Power supply.

Unless your 9800GT is one of those Bastardized Reduced Clock speed models (550MHz core clock speed instead of 600MHz), GPU Core Fabrication process was dropped from 65nm to 55nm and significantly dropped power consumption as well, thus a Power connector was not needed.

Make sure that the 6 Pin PCIe Connector is plugged into it. The card will get 75W of power from the PCIe slot, but not enough to run it. So the fans may be powered on and running, but that doesn't mean the card is able to function, which might be why its not showing up, assuming the card itself isn't shot. (Could have defective memory chips on a video card, or missing, or defective capacitors and the cards fans and what not work, but the card itself doesn't)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Help! New video card not detected.-onboard-vs-gpu-outputs.jpg  
    i7 940//Corsair H60//EVGA X58 SLI LE//6GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz//2x EVGA GTX 560 Ti FPB SLI//NZXT Hale82 850W//CM 690 II Advanced//Win7 64//WD 74GB V-raptor, 750GB Black, 1.5TB Green

TechIMO Folding@home Team #111 - Crunching for the cure!

Hey everybody thank you so much for the help. I have fixed the issue. All I needed to do was plug in the psu pcie cable to my video card. Once I did that my system recognized and installed the new video card.
    Thanks to all again!

i7 940//Corsair H60//EVGA X58 SLI LE//6GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz//2x EVGA GTX 560 Ti FPB SLI//NZXT Hale82 850W//CM 690 II Advanced//Win7 64//WD 74GB V-raptor, 750GB Black, 1.5TB Green

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Good lord.

amazing how simple the solutions can be sometimes

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Yes.

Blog Entries
    Hey I'm still stumped on how he removed the old card without removing any cables...but hey at least its up and running know. Just make sure you have the monitor cable connected to the ports on the new card. Otherwise you are just using the on-board video.
    Last edited by RicheemxX; March 2nd, 2012 at 05:30 PM.

maybe the old card was one of the revised ones with out the need for the PCIe power cable?

Blog Entries
    Yeah but he'd still have to remove the monitor cable which was what I initially asked about
    Last edited by RicheemxX; March 2nd, 2012 at 07:19 PM.

Maybe it had an HDMI connection, and they disconnected it from the monitors end, and pulled it out with the card, through the rear expansion slot...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What is 10 and 5 added together?

Thread Information