+ Reply to Thread

Question Graphics Card Question

I hope I've made my request for help as convenient as possible by giving all the necessary information; I apologize in advance if I left something out!

I am looking to upgrade my graphics card for high(er)-end games, but I'm worried I'm going to make a mistake and purchase a card my motherboard/computer cannot support. Any help or advice you could give me would be much appreciated!

Computer: HP Pavilion Elite m9280f (specs)
    Motherboard: IPIBL-LB (Benicia) (specs & image - a layout diagram is third from the bottom)
    Power Supply: 460 W

The card I'm considering is NVidia's GeForce GTX 560 (specs). It appears to be compatible, but I have just few questions:

1) Will I have any difficulty fitting a dual slot graphics card in that PCI x16 slot, between the (empty) PCI x1 slot below it and the, err, silvery looking box thing (the technical term, I checked) above it?

2) Do I need to worry about PCI-E 2.0 x16 bus support, supplementary power connectors or any other pitfalls? (NVidia's "Help Me Choose" web app suggested power supply and space were the only issues, but I'd love a confirmation from you fine folk all the same).

3) Would you recommend a different card for any reason? Is there anything that might cause problems/conflicts with this card? (I've made no other upgrades, though I do intend to upgrade my sound card next.)

Thank you in advance for any help/advice you have to offer!

PC Upgrade Procrastinator ShyguyXPC's Avatar
    Well the specs for your system show that all the expansion slots are being used up, 2 PCIe x1 slot cards and one PCI slot card, so if that is the case, then no, a Dual Slot GPU will not fit in your case.

If the first PCIe x1 slot below the x16 slot is empty, then yes the GPU will fit.

The Silvery box thing is a Heatsink (technical term...), it should be fine, very few prebuilt PC's use a high profile aftermarket heatsink, and usually skimp on the heatsinks used on motherboards anyways.

The only thing might be Blocked are the first 2 SATA Ports behind the Heatsink, the top Black and White SATA Ports.

Your CPU is a 2.5GHz Core 2 Quad, should be enough for the GTX 560, so shouldn't be a CPU Bottleneck issue there.

PCI Express 2.0, shouldn't be an issue, your motherboard though only supports 1.0 Bandwidth speeds, but the GTX 560 doesn't full saturate 1.0 specs max bandwidth anyways.

And x16 slot on 2.0 is the same bandwidth as x32 would be on 1.0 if it existed.

Or more easily comprehended, x16 bandwidth on 1.0 is the same as x8 on 2.0.

so your still good to go (Nvidia will only Certify Boards for Multi Card SLI performance if the Bandwidth for the slots on the boards is x8 or better, as some newer 2.0 boards can only do x16 x4 dual slot configs, which is fine for AMD Crossfire certification, but for SLI, it needs to be x16 x8, x8 x8, x16 x16, or similar), but this is a moot point.

the 2.0 spec card, is just 2.0 spec compatible, all PCI express is backwards compatible. If you were running a top end current gen card, then the older 1.0 spec slot would be questionable, but the GTX 560 is still aways down the list, its a mid range/upper mid range card.

As to your Power Supply, though its a 460W PSU, I doubt its capable of running the system safely with that card.

The GTX 560 pulls about 150W of power from the +12V Rail, the rest of the system will draw from the +12V rail as well, but the CPU, Mobo and Memory will tap into the 3.3 and 5V Rails as needed as well, if the 12v can't supply enough, up to the max of 460W rating of the PSU.

though, most prebuilt PC's PSU's aren't capable of handling safely much beyond their original specs and few options they had when they were sold.

So I'd replace the PSU with a Good Quality 400W unit at least, Antec, Corsair, Coolermaster, Thermaltake are all ones in this wattage/price range that would be suitable for use with this system and the GTX 560.

Usually around $40-50 for the PSU.

With the Slots available, if you have all your slots used up, you may have to sacrifice one of the PCIe x1 slot cards (It shows you should have a TV Tuner card, and a Wireless Card in those slots, also a 56K Dial up card in the PCI slot, which I'd honestly toss unless you need Dial up)

But I would sacrifice the Wireless card from the slots, and depending on where that card is mounted (if its the 2nd x1 slot, then move the TV Tuner to the 2nd slot, and free up the 1st x1 slot next to the x16 slot, for the video card), move the cards around so you can free up the x1 slot next to the x16 slot.

Whats your budget for the upgrades? (as I mentioned you should consider replacing the PSU as well)

but open your case, and find a sticker or label on the PSU, and list the Brand name of the PSU, as well as the Amp Rating for the +12V rail.
    i7 940//Corsair H60//EVGA X58 SLI LE//6GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz//2x EVGA GTX 560 Ti FPB SLI//NZXT Hale82 850W//CM 690 II Advanced//Win7 64//WD 74GB V-raptor, 750GB Black, 1.5TB Green

TechIMO Folding@home Team #111 - Crunching for the cure!

Thank you for your reply.

You're right about the PCI slots: The wireless card has no presence on the back of the case, so it looked to me like an empty slot. Regardless, I never use the tv tuner, so that'll be the one I pull (I do use the wireless card, as I'm a floor away from the router).

As for the power supply, I opened up the case to find the info you asked for (including more than you probably need, but figured I'd be thorough):

-------------------------------------------------------
    Delta Electronics
    Model: DPS-460DB-1 A
    Rev: 02 F
    HP P/N 5188-2862
    Date Code 0745
    S/N AUWD-005403
    MAX POWER 460W

OUTPUT:
    +12Va --- /16A,
    +12Vb --- /15A,
    +12Vc --- /8.0A,
    -12V --- /0.8A,
    +5V --- /13A,
    +3.3V --- /17A,
    +5Vstb --- /2.0A

TOTAL POWER ON +12 Va & +12 Vb & +12 Vc NOT EXCEED 385 W
    -------------------------------------------------------

In the event that this is bad news for my GTX 560 aspirations, what should I enter on the "Help Me Choose" NVidia page under "Your Power Supply (watts)" to get a better sense of what my computer can handle without a new PSU? (My current graphics card, a GeForce 8800 GT, lists a "Minimum Power Requirement" of 400 W and a "Maximum Graphics Card Power" of 105 W in its specs; does my PSU limit me to only 400 W?)

Edited to add: There are a number of things on my computer that I don't use (the TV tuner, for one). I assume all of these things would draw power as well, and that the PSU would have to be robust enough to supply them. So, by not using these features, do I free up any power for a graphics card (and is there any way to check)?
    Last edited by Eunomiac; March 19th, 2012 at 04:34 PM.

Well your running a Delta PSU, so it shouldn't be too bad, 385W on the +12V combined for a PSU like this isn't bad.

You could actually probably run the GTX 560 off that PSU, and have power to spare.

Your 8800GT used a single 6 Pin PCI express power connector from the Power supply, it only uses one, the GTX 560 uses 2 of those, so what ever GTX 560 you get, should have at least one Adapter cable that can convert two 4 Pin Power supply Connectors into a Single 6 Pin PCIe adapter, which will then need to go into the GTX 560's 2nd Power connection.
    i7 940//Corsair H60//EVGA X58 SLI LE//6GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz//2x EVGA GTX 560 Ti FPB SLI//NZXT Hale82 850W//CM 690 II Advanced//Win7 64//WD 74GB V-raptor, 750GB Black, 1.5TB Green

Excellent news! I have one last question before I make my order. Could you please confirm that these adapter cables, supplied by this card (the one I'm planning to purchase), will do the job? (I've confirmed I have enough spare 4-pin connectors.)

I don't understand why this forum won't let me shrink the image, sorry about that and thanks again for all your help!

Last edited by Eunomiac; March 20th, 2012 at 02:16 PM.

you'll only need one of those 6 pin adapters, since your 8800GT must already be connected with one from the PSU already. So just use the one from the PSU plus one of those adapters and you should be good to go.

where are you ordering the card from, and how much are you paying for it?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What is 10 and 5 added together?

Thread Information