+ Reply to Thread

7970 Performance / Tesselation - Crysis 2 Minimum Fps

Hi Guys,

I recently purchased 7970 and am concerned with the Mininum FPS i am getting with Crysis 2 on 1680x1050 Resolution. I have maxed Out all settings Including High Res Textures, DX 11 and set everything to Ultra, including object detail (that enabled Tessellation). When tesselation is disabled, the card will never reach below 60Fps and is a weapon. However when I enabled Object detail to Ultra, that enabled tesselation. My Fps average around 50's, and drop to the low 40's in intense scense.

Now I know that radeon's in the past have a Big performance hit with Tessellation enabled in Crysis 2 in comparison with Nvidias. I have investigated this Alot and I know Crysis 2 implements unessential tessellation that is not required in game. For example Ie The Gpu still calculates Water tesselation even in an open world environment. However Looking at reviews with the 680 or 7970 I should be getting higher frame rates. Could it be potentially my i5 2500 K (stock clock) that is causing the low fps, or is the fact that crysis 2 is just a Tessellation hog and this is normal to receive minimal frames low 40's at 1680x1050. Looking at all the reviews and benchmarks online for the 7970 I should be getting alot more frame rates. Some levels are better then overs, however majority is the case where im averaging 50s.

I have Oc'ed my video card at stock voltage levels, and have increased the GPU and memory clock to 1125/1575 and this has improved the frame rate, however the minimum frame rate is still the same. As the minimum frame rate is still the same, Im concerned it could potentially be the CPU. I have 12.3 Catalyst drives, and my specs are as followed:

Cpu - i5 2500K
    6GB DDR3 -1600Mhz
    Powercolour 7970 - 1125/1575 - overclocked by overdrive
    Z68 Asrock motherboard
    900 XFX power supply.

Now to conclude all of this aswell. I have been playing around with the internal tesselation settings in Catalyst, and I get a great performance hit when turning down tessalation from x64 to x32. However, when using x32 tessellation, it does not look the same as x64 as I do notice the difference especially on the walls. I guess my question is also, if this is Normal with tesselation in Crysis 2.

Regards

Daniel Delindi

PC Upgrade Procrastinator ShyguyXPC's Avatar
    Maybe its just me... but where's the question in this?

If your getting low 40's for frame rates with everything jacked up on settings, including tessellation which can be a huge hit in performance, your doing fine.

if your fps are dropping below 30-35fps, then there might be a problem, but if your lowest is low 40's there's nothing wrong really.
    i7 940//Corsair H60//EVGA X58 SLI LE//6GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz//2x EVGA GTX 560 Ti FPB SLI//NZXT Hale82 850W//CM 690 II Advanced//Win7 64//WD 74GB V-raptor, 750GB Black, 1.5TB Green

TechIMO Folding@home Team #111 - Crunching for the cure!

My question is: Why am I getting such low fps. Sorry I should have put a question in here but the purpose of this post was for someone with a similar setup or any experienced or knowledgeable person like yourself to tell me that this performance is normal or if something is lacking in my setup. 1680x1050 Resolution on an overlocked 7970 (1125/1575) seems a bit low for it to dip low to the 35fps. Benchmarks and other users with 7970 advise there lowest frame rate is 50 and thats on 1080P. Sweet Moses. I Hate sacrificing quality for playable frame rates. Yes Its a price we need to pay, but I'd expect a 7970 to get the job done.
    Last edited by DanielMsi; April 26th, 2012 at 02:23 AM.

1680x1050 isn't that far off from 1920x1080. but your i5 2500 run at stock shouldn't be a bottleneck, even with the 7970.

Which benchmarks are your looking at that are showing the frame rate increases?

most reviews I see show the max or average FPS when reviewing the cards.

it could be the CPU they are using is overclocked, and could be providing a boost in CPU based Physics or AI processing which might give a boost in frame rates as well.

I know the new Radeon HD 7000 series has vastly better Tessellation performance than past 2 Generations, and I think I even remember some review mentioning they match Geforce 400/500 series in performance, though not sure on the new GTX 600 series.
    i7 940//Corsair H60//EVGA X58 SLI LE//6GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz//2x EVGA GTX 560 Ti FPB SLI//NZXT Hale82 850W//CM 690 II Advanced//Win7 64//WD 74GB V-raptor, 750GB Black, 1.5TB Green

That could be definately the case. In crysis 2, without moving the mouse or keyboard All i Have to do is load up the level "Cooperate Collapse" and the beginning of the level that is full of tessellation is a great way to benchmark my fps. When I load up the level, it starts of at 37Fps, when I reduce tessellation down from X64 to X32 it increases to 42Fps and down to 16X tesselation up to 48Fps. Bear in mind the minimum fps i Recieve in this beginning scene will be the lowest I will receive in game so Its a great little tool to use. Maybe I should throw in another 7970, or increase the ram? Im using 4GB DDR3 1600Mhz.

Doubt the RAM will make much difference, unless the game actually uses more than 2 or 3GB, even 64-bit mode doesn't usually use more than that. I know Crysis in 64-bit DX10 mode never used more than 3GB if I remember right.

Though with that game I did see a noticeable increase going from 32-bit DX9/DX10 to 64-bit with DX10. not a HUGE increase, but it was noticeable in FPS.

With your current RAM, are you running it at 1600? or is it defaulting to 1066/1333? In my newer system (Core i7 940, I have the CPU running stock for the moment, but my RAM is running at 1600)

I doubt it will make much difference in FPS, but if its running slower, and not at 1600, it could help a little.

What Hard drive are you using to run the game off of? Sometimes a slower HDD can reduce framerates if its unable to feed enough data to the CPU and rest of system.

based on your hardware you listed I'm assuming its already a fast hard drive or setup, but never know, so figured to ask.

do you have a link to some of the reviews you were looking at?

Want to see what they were running for a hardware setup, if it was similar or what.

Most reviews tend to run their setups with Overkill high end gaming systems, that the average users could never own, or don't have, and end up with given frame rates, so when they users get the same video cards, and put in their systems, and get no where near the reviews, they wonder why, and something is wrong with their systems. Not realizing the reviewers "Cheated" by using a higher overclocked, or overbuilt gaming rig for the review.

I thought the same thing that the extra 4GB wouldnt make a difference in FPS, but It might improve my Minimum fps. I found this benchmark for Crysis 1 showing the Minimum fps was improved with an extra 4GB of ram.

Google Image Result for http://www.blindnero.com/pictures/bit-tech-crysis-8-4-2-ram.jpg

Here is one of the benchmarks that show the minimum Fps, youll notice the 7970 lowest fps is 41 on Ultra and thats on 1080P. However I must say that my average is about 50, and alot of the cases it sits in the 40's. Looking away from objects will up the frames in the 60's for me. But the whole game is full of scenery and thats why I say im averaging about 50. But most cases im under which is why I think theres a problem. Looking at other forums where users are posted there specs, where they post there Crysis 2 Benchmarks (I dont even know how to find this benchmark tool) and on 1080P they are getting there minimum fps as 50fps.

I have just ordered a new cpu cooler (Arctic Cooling Freezer 11 LP CPU Cooler,) And am going to overclock my i5-2500K in the 4Ghz range. And see how that goes. I didnt wanna have to overclock before using crossfire but Ill see if this will improve. I get the cooler on tuesday so see how I go.

I really hate the performance of tessellation in crysis 2. If you have crysis 2 Dx 11 you can test this for yourself. Load up "Cooperate Collapse" and the first scene without moving you will notice your fps is quite low (probaly not as low on mine if you have nvidia 580 or higher). Mine is at 37, if I disbale Tesselation altogether it jumps up to 75-80. Its insane. I really want to know if an Nvidia card has such a performance hit with tesselation like I am with the 7970.

what case are you using?

that Low profile cooler isn't really designed for Overclocking so much, its meant for SFF cases and such.

If your looking for a good Cooler thats not too much, check out Coolermasters Hyper 212 Plus, or 212 EVO

Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus RR-B10-212P-G1 "Heatpipe Direct Contact" Long Life Sleeve 120mm CPU Cooler Compatible Intel Core i5 & Intel Core i7

Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO RR-212E-20PK-R2 Continuous Direct Contact 120mm Sleeve CPU Cooler Compatible with latest Intel 2011/1366/1155 and AMD FM1/AM3+

or for a more "lower" profile, the GeminII S524: Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER GeminII S524 120mm Long Life Sleeve CPU Cooler Compatible with Intel Sandy Bridge

as to the Crysis 1 Benchmarks, thats on REALLY old hardware, that could barely run Crysis fully maxed back then, so the extra RAM probably would help with that.

But then again, Crysis 1 is a completely different game, older game engine, less efficient, and as mentioned the hardware used was older as well.

Back when Crysis First came out, it took 3 Geforce 8800GTX's in Three Way SLI, and a Core 2 Extreme Dual core, to run the game maxed and achieve a decent 30-40fps or so.

fast forward a few years, a Single GTX 200 series upper end card could easily run that game at same settings with same frame rates or even better.

(To make things worse, the picture shows the game being run at an abysmal 1280x1024, with NO Anti Aliasing enabled at all, even a GTX 280/285 could run Crysis at that res or higher with some level of AA on and get nearly that many fps. I was able to get at least a good 40fps with settings on High, at least 2x AA, and 1920x1080 Resolution with my Core i7 920, and a GTX 285 with a slight factory OC on it, and a meager 3GB of DDR3 1333MHz, running at 1066, in Windows 7, running 64-bit DX10 mode)

The hardware got faster, more efficient and over all cost less than the older setup did.

Your newer system is running Faster RAM, besides clock speeds its DDR3 instead of DDR2. Much faster CPU, and even faster yet GPU.

So it might not even matter what that one benchmark shows from back then, as that was back then. if that still held true to today, then it wouldn't matter, as the hardware would of gotten faster and better, and able to do more with less so to speak.

No idea on the Tessellation of Crysis 2, as I don't have it yet, waiting to pick up dirt cheap as I did with the first one.

But you can test DX 11 Tessellation running the latest Unigine Heaven Demo/Benchmark, its not the greatest use of Tessellation but its a standardized so to speak bench that is widely used by reviewers and others.

Hey Shyguy,

Im using with of these syclone cases:

Google Image Result for http://images.izideal.com/img/product/4936511/l/uk/aerocool-syclone-pc-tower-case.jpeg

Ahh. damn i Didnt see this post till today whereas I have already ordered the Cooler. The computer shop recons they will hit 4.3Ghz minimum and will aim for anything higher. they will run some intenvise applications and once its shuts off, they will slow it down by 10% to achieve a suitable overclock. But I advised them that I will not get cooler if I do not achieve an overclock of atleast 4Ghz but they assured me they will get 4.3ghz with this cooler. I wish I got a different cooler now as I know you know what you are talking about.

I would agree with you aswell with the memory. I dont think I will upgrade the memory just yet, as I am already using 2 Slots of 2 X 2 GB sticks of 1600Mhz. Shyguy, you mentioned if my memory was running at 1600Mhz or slower, how would I check this?

they may get 4GHz on that cooler, but it may run warmer than it could with a better one. Like I mentioned that cooler was designed for low profile HTPC type systems and not a Highly OC'd desktop system.

as to finding the memory clock speed, when it boots up, just see what it states for the RAM's speed when it boots, if its running 1600, it should show up as 1600 on boot up, if its running at 1066 or 1333 it'll say it.

Hey shyguy, I just called up the computer shop. they got the Artic Cooler - Freezer 13 for $50 or 13pro for $70. Do you know if these are any good ones?

$50-70?

those coolers don't even cost that much over here in the states, and currently our Dollar is a tad higher than yours.

but yes, those 2 would be better than the one your looking at now. I have used a few of those, or at least prior versions/generations of those coolers before, and they worked good for stock cooling, kept the CPU very cool, but Have not used them for Overclocking (I always intended to, I just never got around to doing it), so can't say for certain, but they should fare MUCH better than the other one your looking at.

Does the shop carry the Coolermaster brand coolers at all?

Do they carry any other brands like Xigmatek, Scythe, or any others?

the AC Freezer series should be decent otherwise, I'm just trying to see if there is a brand/model that costs less.

Over here some of those coolers, the AC ones, cost much less

Newegg.com - ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2 92mm Fluid Dynamic CPU Cooler

Newegg.com - ARCTIC COOLING ACFZ13 92mm High Performance CPU Cooler for Intel and AMD

Newegg.com - ARCTIC COOLING ACFZI30 120mm Fluid Dynamic Freezer i30 Intel CPU Cooler for Enthusiasts

Newegg.com - ARCTIC COOLING ACFZ13-PRO 120mm & 50mm (2 fans) Fluid Dynamic High Performance CPU Cooler for Intel and AMD

Newegg.com - ARCTIC COOLING ACFZA30 120mm Fluid Dynamic Freezer A30 AMD CPU Cooler for Enthusiasts

Compared to some other brands that are just as good

Newegg.com - XIGMATEK LOKI SD963 92mm HYPRO Bearing CPU Cooler bracket included I7 i5 775 1155 AMD and dual fan push pull compatible

Newegg.com - XIGMATEK Gaia SD1283 120mm Long Life Bearing CPU Cooler bracket included LGA 2011 i7 i5 775 1155 AMD and dual fan push pull compatible

Newegg.com - XIGMATEK Dark Knight II SD1283 Night Hawk Edition CPU Cooler with Stealth Aerospace Industry Thermal conductive ceramic coating ALL intel AMD IVY BRIDGE compatible

Newegg.com - XIGMATEK BALDER SD1283 120mm Long Life CPU Cooler I7 i5 775 1155 AMD compatible, w/ bracket ACK-I5361

Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus RR-B10-212P-G1 "Heatpipe Direct Contact" Long Life Sleeve 120mm CPU Cooler Compatible Intel Core i5 & Intel Core i7

Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER GeminII S524 120mm Long Life Sleeve CPU Cooler Compatible with Intel Sandy Bridge

Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER Hyper N 520 RR-920-N520-GP 92mm Sleeve CPU Cooler Intel Core i7 compatible

Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO RR-212E-20PK-R2 Continuous Direct Contact 120mm Sleeve CPU Cooler Compatible with latest Intel 2011/1366/1155 and AMD FM1/AM3+

Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER RR-H612-20PK-R3 120mm Sleeve with 6 Heat Pipes Hyper 612 PWM CPU Cooler (LGA 2011 Version)

Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER V6 GT RR-V6GT-22PK-R1 120mm DynaLoop CPU Cooler w/ Universal bracket & Dual Fan

Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER X6 Elite RR-X6NN-18PK-R1 Honeycomb Design 120mm Long Life Sleeve CPU Cooler NOT Compatible with High Heatsink RAM/Memory

for about the same pricing and in some instances less than the AC models.

and if your looking at $50-70 price range, I'd consider throwing in a Corsair H40 or H60 Liquid cooler kit instead.

Newegg.com - CORSAIR H40 High Performance Liquid CPU Cooler

Newegg.com - CORSAIR CWCH60 Hydro Series H60 High Performance Liquid CPU Cooler

or one of these

Newegg.com - Antec Kuhler H2O 620 Liquid Cooling System

If you opted for either one of those 3, I'd make sure the shop installed 2 fans on the Radiator and set it up for a "Push/Pull" configuration, as well as matched the fans so they are the same for RPM, CFM volume, and Static Pressure ratings.

the Corsair H40 and a pair of Scythe Gentle Typhoon 120mm fans, with a 1400-1500RPM rating should be decent enough for that setup and cool it efficiently even with the OC, just make sure their using good thermal paste, the stuff that comes on the Corsair coolers is already good stuff, just not the best.

Just a couple of other options to look into if your going to be OCing that CPU that high, and keep it cool enough, with out breaking the bank too much.

Hi Shyguy,

Im tried to get a quote from my computer shop for cooler master 212 pro/Evo but they do not sell Cooler Master Coolers. I dont know why coolers are so much more here in Australia. I been doing some research, and have found the following articles on the Artic cooler 13pro.

Arctic Cooling Freezer 13 Pro CPU Cooler Review | Hardware Secrets

arctic-cooling-freezer-13-pro-vs-cooler-master-hyper-212-plus

The artic cooler is considered a High end cooler, but do you think it would be any better than the cooler master hyper 212. I mean the freezer 13pro is not far off the corair a50 water cooling. I pretty much now jack on cooling as you can tell. But do you think its a good choice going with the freezer 13 from the benchmark ive shown. The other models its compared too, are they high end coolers or am I better off saving some green and just looking for something like the 212.

Sorry the other benchmark is in this forum, if you scroll a little down.

Arctic Cooling Freezer 13 Pro VS Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus

Im not sure. Cause some review articles say how crap it is, then some articles say how good it is. So im deeply confused and want to know where it lines up. I pretty much ordered this thing

The AC Freezer should be fine, its not that much difference in temps from the other coolers.

Its not crap really, maybe in benchmark numbers compared to some of the other coolers, but its definitely not crap.

As to the Corsair A50, its not Water cooling, the "A" Series Corsair Coolers are active Air Cooling hence the "A" in the name. The "H" series is the Water cooling kits. (H for Hydro)

that other link to OCN (Overclock.net), some of us are over there as well, but I don't post as much, mainly due to anything I would post would be excessively redundant since they have enough people to actively post in threads. But there are also plenty of arrogant and self proclaimed know it alls on larger sites like that as well, and I hate getting into disagreements with those kinds of people, I usually stick to the OCN Distributed Computing team threads, occasional news and review threads and browse the OCN Market place to pick up used parts. There's about a half dozen of us here at TIMO that I know of that are over there too.

granted the Coolermaster and some others might be better, its not going to be a huge difference in temps and such.

The main thing is getting the best performance for your money, and see if there is anything cheaper, or for the same money your looking at these AC coolers, see if there is something better for the same price.

But like I said, the AC Freezer 13 Pro, should suffice for what your looking at.

Myself I actually like AC coolers better than Coolermasters, but I have used both, and haven't had issues with either.

I've used Coolermaster, Arctic Cooling, Antec, Thermaltake, Xigmatek, Corsair, Zerotherm, Thermalright, Along with various Thermal Pastes as well, Arctic Silver 5, Arctic Silver Ceramique, Shin Etsu (several versions from their low end to high end stuff), Arctic Cooling MX-3, IC Diamond, and some others.

Many times those numbers in those reviews for heatsinks are only meaningful to extremists with performance, overclocking and such, trying to get max performance at lowest temps, and highest benchmark numbers to out do one another.

For more practical everyday uses, with an OC, though, as long as your able to achieve temps similar to what the AC Freezer 13 Pro and other similar coolers can achieve, then you are doing fine.

I just suggested some other coolers that might be in same price range or lower, since that $50-70 range seemed a bit high, unless that was the cost of the shop factoring in labor costs or the OC and testing fee into the price of the cooler?

Thanks alot for shedding some light on that for me. That definately sounds like the case in terms of reviews and extremists with overclocking and why im getting different reviews on the product left right and centre. The guy at the computer shop seemed fairly confident I could achieve a comfortable overclock of 4.3ghz using a standard artic cooler 7 series. So for the computer shop to in a way garuntee me this overclock reassures me that I can achieve this with the artic cooler 13pro series. And ofcourse its not always a question can it clock to those frequencies, but how cool and stable is the cpu running at those temperates. I just hope the artic cooler 13por will comoftably overlock in the 4.3ghz - 4.5ghz range. Im definately not expecting higher and even if it could, i rather it now just for the beneficial temperature range.

Ill definately call the guy tomorrow and ask him about the other coolers you mentioned such as the Xigateck and corsair models you mentioned, but the shop has helped me out in the past with favors and they have already ordered the ac freezer 13 pro for me and would hate to cancel that order when I already cancled the artic freezer 7 (at first i thought it was the 11 but it was the 7 series). But ill have a word with him tomorrow, cause yes $70 does seem quite excessive for such a cooler. And I dont believe all prices are like and could probaly find a cheaper deal with another shop, but not much computer shops that offer the laboring services and overclocking that this company offers. So total looks like im playing $70 for the cooler, and $50 for labour. They also said they will oc the gpu to its max potential. I currently have that overclocked to AMD's maximum overdrive 1125/1525 from standard 925 core and 1375mhz. But again, i Dont want to muck around with the voltages to get a higher acheivable clock and rather let them do it. As I work in IT, yes its a little emberassing having to get a computer shop to overclock for me, but hey we all gotta start somewhere and I havent had much experience and knowledge in the overlocking realm to handle such extremes and definately do not wanna experiment on a $600 card.

Shyguy, could you perhaps private message me your email I can in future get a hold of you. Ive seen your comments and posts in past, a few years ago even and am quite impressed on your expertise and knowledge in this area. I would email you on simple things like for example, in a few months when I think about Crossfiring my 7970, asking for a appropriate psu, will my xfx 900watt handle it etc. I would appreciate that.

Cheers mate

Ah, if it was the 7 series, those should of been fine as well, thats what I used to run, the 11 series are a series of Low Profile HTPC type coolers, their ok, but not great for OCing to such high levels.

the 7 Pro's are what I used to run, I liked them because they did keep things cool and I have always been a fan of Arctic Coolings Open Framed Suspended hub design Fans.

in fact I still use a 120mm fan in one of my cases, as they do run VERY quiet, provide plenty of airflow and just all around great fans.

Down side is they only work one way, you can't flip them around like you can standard fans.

so they work good on CPU coolers or used as exhaust fans, but can't work as intake fans.

the Freezer 11's some use those fans, others use standard fan designs, but their not intended for really high overclocking.

the 13 Pro's use standard fan designs, but some can have a 2nd fan mounted on the back side, for a Push Pull configuration (one fan takes in, the other exhausts, since their a matched pair they work cooperatively together for a more uniform, even flow and pressure through the heatsink, allowing for more air to cool it)

the other thing is, don't expect a Guaranteed given OC rate, not all CPU's are equal, its a crap shoot with OCing with CPU's, you could get one that OC's to insane levels, and the next or prior one to that off the assembly line can't OC worth sh*t.

most "K" models are premium pick CPU's and should OC nicely, but if it can't hit 4GHz, don't be surprised. a lot also depends on the motherboard, RAM, and PSU their pairing up with it as well, as you need Clean Stable Power to effectively OC, as well as sometime RAM that can be tweaked to help balance out the system. And a Mobo with proper OCing options, and good power distribution and filtering capabilities.

I assume the shop knows what their doing, but figured to point out some of those X factors that are tied into OCing as well.

Myself I haven't really Overclocked anything since my Socket 939 Athlon 64 Single core CPU from back in 2005 era. once I moved up to a first Gen Athlon 64 X2 Dual core, I never had a real need to Overclock anymore.

was around that time I started buying top end Video cards instead of lower mid range cards.

and also never had a need for OCing. Sure i wanted to, but realistically never really needed to. And I'm a MAJOR Procrastinator and just too lazy sometimes.

as to email you can just PM me on here, as I frequent the site half a dozen times or more a day unless power is out, PC is out of commission, or lack of internet. Once I finally get my first Smart phone soon here, I'll probably be visiting a few times a day, when I have to work in town (on breaks or after work)

But you can also find me on this site quite often (visiting or occasionally posting, since traffic has died down considerably over the years, but I am on there quite a bit checking daily for stuff)

Xtreme PC Central Tech Forums - Powered by vBulletin

I go by the same name (just minus the XPC, since plain "Shyguy" was already taken when I signed up here years ago, LOL, which Ironically is where the XPC in my name came from, that site)

if you have Google+, I'm on there as well

https://plus.google.com/117484300802...39/posts?hl=en

I just don't like giving out my email to people I don't really know.

G+ is about as much as I'd be willing to hand out.

I'm more cautious about FB as well, G+ is a bit different as you can just add people or subscribe to them, etc, basically almost anyone has access to anyone in some way on G+.

I think I have G+ enabled to send me emails or messages, if not just post on my profile or something. assuming you have G+ at all.

Would be nice to have another Aussie to add to list of people I know, MickWish thats here on TIMO and over at XPC, his younger brother Goatieau from over at XPC I have added on G+, since he uses it quite a bit.

as to your PSU, your XFX could easily handle at least 3 of those cards in Crossfire, with your system specs, and should be quite capable of handling your OCing.

XFX's PSU's are top notch, not sure who actually makes them, but they are solid quality PSU's.

in the US here, namely is Seasonic, Fortron and one other (forget off hand) that makes many of the other brands that are good or top notch, like Corsair, XFX, Silverstone, Antec, Coolermaster, Thermaltake, Xigmatek, and Zalman, Enermax, and some others.

Using this Link: eXtreme Power Supply Calculator

You should be more than capable of using 2 7970's in Crossfire with power to spare.

I added in what I thought was average for parts, aside from CPU and GPU's.

(see attached Pic)

wasn't sure on exact Voltage the CPU was running at, so estimated, and put in 4.3GHz for the OC.

But you'd need a max of a Good 600W PSU to run your system. maybe a tad more if your OCing the GPU's too, but not by much.

based on that info, you could probably stuff 3 7970's in 3 Way crossfire into the rig.

or if AMD comes out with a dual GPU 7900 series card, you could add one of those, pair it with the single GPU 7970 and have 3 Way Crossfire with that as well.

Crossfire you can run with like series cards. for example any 7800 series will crossfire with any 7800 series, or any 7900 with 7900.

Where as SLI for nvidia cards generally the GPU series has to match exactly.

For example you can't run a GTX 570 and GTX 580, or a GTX 560 Ti 448 Core (which is actually a 570 with reduced number of cores) and GTX 570.

or a GTX 560 and GTX 560 Ti.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 7970 Performance / Tesselation - Crysis 2 Minimum Fps-sample.jpg  

Those Amd 64 939's were awesome back in the day. I remember my old 3200 + socket 939 running with my newly purchased 6600Gt that I had upgraded from a 9600Pro. The good ol days of AGP graphics. I remember wishing I could ever get my hands on a 9800Xt or X800Xt but never happened.

Well its good to know That The cooler is good and I can achieve a reasonable overclock. Ill let you know how it goes once the cooler is in and how it performs.

I dont use Google Chrome, but if you have a facebook account it would be helpful because i dont use techimo that often, but if you are on here regularly I guess I can always find you.

As for the Crossfire Configuration, I knew you could trifire a 6990 with a 6970 or 7990 (when its released) with a 7970, but I did not know you could mix a 7970 with 7950. I read reviews that the 7970 will clock down to 7950 speeds or shader clock, and performance would be identical to two 7950's in crossfire. SO there would be no difference with a pair of 7950's or a 7970 and 7950 Crossfire. If it is faster, It would be definately something to consider And it would be interesting to know how much faster a 7970 crossfire Is than a 7970 + 7950 crossfire configuration. I wish there were more crossfire benchmarks, and knowing where to stand. I mean, I would love a 7990, but with a 7990 + 7970, how much performace increase is it in comparison to a regular 7970 crossfire, is it worth the extra cash. Little things like that are very interesting and could save money in terms of value/performance. So far im looking to get another 7970, but if the 7950 could do me justice, and not slow down my 7970 to a 7950 then I will definately look into that.

Good to know my powersupply will meet the requirements. I'm little fussy when it comes to frame rates, but I just cannot enjoy the gaming experience when frame rates drop below 50-55. I dont understand how Consoles run games at 30Fps most of the time and how it feels more comfortable than a pc game running at 50fps. Im not sure if its got to do with using an analogue stick, and not moving the mouse or scenery faster in comparison to using a mouse or whatever it is.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What is the color of the sky?

Thread Information