+ Reply to Thread

9700 aiw tv reception

Okay, I just picked up a 9700 pro All In Wonder gfx card and it's really sweet. The only issue that I have is with the television reception...it's pretty good, and some channels look outstanding, while others are a little noisy. I'm sure that this is due to my cable, but my question is, is there anything that I can do to improve my reception? I have tried a signal amplifier, but since it is on the same line as my cable modem it kept my modem from connecting with the server (also it didn't really seem to help the signal quality). Is there some type of a filter or other add-on that might help to filter out the noise? Would connecting the line to a black box descramber help? Thanks in advance.

bump

Si vis pacem, para bellum daveleau's Avatar
    Did you use a good quality splitter?
    Is there more than 100 feet of coaxial cable running to your system?

Both of these can contribute to lower signal quality. Try hooking your cable directly without the splitter (yes, unhooking your modem ) and see if the reception clears.

yeah, I just tried that (direct connection to the incoming line) and no real difference. When you say 100 feet are you talking about from the wall connector or from the telelphone pole? In the house its about five feet from the wall outlet, from the pole outside probably around 100 feet or so, but that's a guess at best.

I have often wondered that same thing. I only know that signal attenuation gets pretty bad after 100 feet. I'm not sure how that works outside of the apartment. I have had 50 foot cables that ran from a downstairs up to a second floor bedroom, where the landlord refused permission to install a second outlet and that worked fine for TV and the cable modem. I believe it is 100' inside the house.

Regardless, if you only have 5 feet from the wall, then attenuation should not be a factor.

anyone else have any thoughts?

a.k.a /\bump/\

Do others have good reception with theirs? I know the AIW series is pretty popular...

My cable does the same thing. But my AIW is a little cleaner than the tv. Using the pass thru on a vcr cleans it up some. Ours has been doing that since they activated digital cable, people across town seem to have the same problem. Their only recommendation is to switch to digital cable (if you can stand the set-top box). If you already a cable modem, I would guess you already have real good signal strength. Prob just a bad signal.
    Last edited by fosin; February 19th, 2003 at 12:08 AM.

Blog Entries
    I use a cheap RF bandpass filter to limit outside interference from outside frequency ranges, works decently for cleaning up minimal spurious noise.

Atill, low SNR along specific frequencies can not be readily fixed, as even an amp will boost the noise along with the desired feed assuming both reside within the same frequency spectrum.

Also check your coax type. RG-59 is not spec'd for cable installs, though I have seen it used, so make sure. RG-6 should surfice as per spec, though you may want to consider switching out to RG-6QS (quad sheilding), especially for your jumpers at connection points.

As to AIW quality, I rarely use mine anymore, but it generally faired well, usually equal to my G-450 eTV and definitely better than my various WinTV PCI and USB devices for poor signal sources.

Robert Richmond
    Last edited by RobRich; February 19th, 2003 at 12:32 AM.
    Robert Richmond | Infinite perceptions. One reality.
    TechIMO.com Community Director

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What planet do we live on?

Thread Information