Closed Thread

The Bible says..?

Got sent this link from a friend and thought I'd share..

Removed

edited by surreal

No doubt a hot topic, I guess everyone should tread lightly.

There is an interesting book concerning Holy Scriptures and science. If you would like a serious study of this subject I recommend that you buy this book or look for it at your library, it's really very good:

The Bible, The Quran and Science.
    by Maurice Bucaille, Alastair D. Pannel (Translator).

Available at Amazon.com here

Blog Entries
    double
    Last edited by Epidemic; February 20th, 2004 at 05:03 PM.

Blog Entries
    GE 32:24-30 God takes part in a wrestling match. He wins by injuring Jacob's hip
    The guy who wrote this link is probably covered in boils already.

Many of the things this guy lists are questions of mine. Some of this is very funny in his presentation. some can be explained very simply as god is all powerful so there is no sense to be made of it.

i.e. The light from stars getting her instantly in the beginning and then slowing down.

Now this is not so hard to believe considering that god created the universe. I am not so sure he would have trouble making light instantly reach earth. Kinda like a parlor trick compared with creating a universe.
    Last edited by Epidemic; February 20th, 2004 at 05:07 PM.

Arguing theology is a waste of breath. We can all agree, christianity provides good rules to live by but the deeper you look into it, the more it seems to fall apart.

Blog Entries
    I agree that properly read (reading it my way) the bible is an excellent resource for how to get along with people and even to prosper as a race.

clipits from translated koran are equally nice in sentiment. But both books can and have been tremendously wronged by devicive people in the past (or just bad readers).

Back to the post though!!!

I laughed out loud a few times reading that thing. some of the points (mostly the ones which poked fun at the impossibility of the sun stopping and so forth were just answered with (does the word omnipotent mean anything to you))

Personal favorites

God wrestled with a human (name escapes me right now) and he broke the guys hip to win.

God said that such and such's name will be wiped from the mind of man yet his name remains in the bible.

Solomons temple (a fairly large structure by the period) took like hundreds of thousands of people to build over a period of 7 years brings to mind that they must have made their concrete by hand selecting each grain of sand weighing and measuring it 12 times before putting it in the concrete mix.)

God marked cain so that everyone would know him but there were only three known humans at the time.

Cane made the population of a city with out any women to help him in 2 generations. Now that is fertility.

How did people procreate in those days? Very few women are mentioned through out the whole of the bible (most of em negative in some way) yet adam and eve birthed cain and he fathered a city but I am not sure he ever had a sister to fool around with

did you know female christians have to wear a veil?

BTW this is no joke

Creatures
    Canon EOS 550D | Tamron 18 - 270mm 1:3.5 - 6.3 | Lensbaby Scout (Soft Focus Optic, Fisheye Optic) | Canon Speedlite 430EX II

Ultimate Member
    Originally posted by Creatures
    Prove that statement please...

Si vis pacem, para bellum daveleau's Avatar
    Originally posted by Creatures

BTW this is no joke

Creatures
    No they don't. Here is the verse that you were speaking about:

1Co 11:5 But every woman that prayeth or prophesieth with her head uncovered dishonoureth her head: for that is even all one as if she were shaven.
    1Co 11:6 For if the woman be not covered, let her also be shorn: but if it be a shame for a woman to be shorn or shaven, let her be covered.

It was customary in Corinth, to whom this letter is written which later became a very important book of the Bible, for women who were slaves or adulteresses to shave their heads. All women in Corinth showed either covered their heads with hair or with veils.

As for the site, many of the quotes are out of context to be made to look bad, and many look bad when thought of in human terms. God is not defined by human terms, but to the contrary. The Bible is the Word of God and I would hope that most would take time to read it and understand it rather than blindly ridiculing it. Seeing such intolerance in that site is sad.
    Last edited by daveleau; February 20th, 2004 at 08:14 PM.

mpc
    Originally posted by daveleau

The Bible is the Word of God ......

In your opinion!

Si vis pacem, para bellum daveleau's Avatar
    Originally posted by mpc

In your opinion!
    105 verses of the Bible call it the Word of God. It is not my opinion. Jews and Muslims both agree that at least parts of it are the Word of God.

Sorry, but this is nothing but insult and flamebait to many of the members here.
    Perhaps you thought it was humorous at first glance.
    But did you think deeper about what others might think of this?

We don't allow bashing here period.
    We do not offend other forum members and friends by posting offensive content.
    We do not persecute forum members by mocking their core values.

Thread closed.

Thread Information