+ Reply to Thread

2000 Mustang 3.8 Rough Idle

I have a 2000 Mustang with a 3.8L engine. It has 101,000 miles and it has been taken very good care of. The engine went to idling very rough and I replaced the spark plugs. However I am hearing a metal ticking sound from the engine. Is this going to be a (head) valve or rocker arm problem, or could an electronic failure also cause this?

sounds like a Valve or colapsed lifter. change the oil filter and put in 1 quart of transmission fluid in the oil. it will degunk the engine. after 500 miles change the oil and filter. If you have been using Quaker state skip what I said and take it to a shop it needs professional care.

i have a 5.0L 95 mustang gotta love mustangs

no problems with it luckily

Originally posted by whitebeard21
    sounds like a Valve or colapsed lifter. change the oil filter and put in 1 quart of transmission fluid in the oil. it will degunk the engine. after 500 miles change the oil and filter. If you have been using Quaker state skip what I said and take it to a shop it needs professional care.
    Does this hurt the engine in any way? How much gunk does this really get out?
    Where's Lunch?

Living the dream The Real Bingo's Avatar
    The tapping could just be the fan hitting something. If its still idiling rough, I'd suggest some fuel injector cleaner.

Could be a number of things.From your description,sounds like a valvetrain noise.Could be a Rockerarm,pushrod,lifter,lobe off the cam,worn valve.If it's causing it to idle rough,I would say it's prolly a lobe off the cam,or a collapsed lifter.Get it checked soon.
    The impossible takes more time,and costs more money.
    Check out my band Saving Silence

odd, having same prob with my 87 jeep cherokee, tapping from top of engine, rough idle and rough while i drive with backfiring from throttle body and exhaust. Sucks.... 4.0 liter straight six. Heard it's going to cost me alot to fix this.

either a collapsed lifter or bad lobe on cam or valve in head. pretty soon it will burn vavle

Ultimate Member Richard Cranium's Avatar
    Don't discount the spark plug wires from leaking to a ground source giving the sharp noise you hear. This can be seen at night.

However I think it's going to be valvetrain related.

Doc

Since its a V-6 is there a particular side that this sound is more pronounced? For rough idle it could also be a blown exhaust manifold gasket, How well does the car run after warm up or is the sound there all the time?

Ryo
    Ryo

sweeper2,I'm betting on a lobe off the camshaft.That's the general symptoms of that disease

Hi Doc
    The impossible takes more time,and costs more money.
    Check out my band Saving Silence

Bring it to Gardners Automotive. We'll fix it.

Re: 2000 Mustang 3.8 Rough Idle

Originally posted by Benep528
    I have a 2000 Mustang with a 3.8L engine. It has 101,000 miles and it has been taken very good care of. The engine went to idling very rough and I replaced the spark plugs. However I am hearing a metal ticking sound from the engine. Is this going to be a (head) valve or rocker arm problem, or could an electronic failure also cause this?
    The problem can also be from a bad or dirty injector, this also makes a ticking sound. I would check the injectors first before tearing into the heads for valve or lifter trouble.

same problem

just noticed problem after cross country trip. my jeep 4.0 had similar ticking, turned out to be a flapping sticker on the block lol.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What is 10 and 5 added together?

Thread Information