+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

How do you cook bagles?

I was at the grocery store and they were out of my favorite flavor of bagle..
    So back when I could go to Publix and that happened I just got the frozen ones, the Deli got them that way and just heated them in the oven..
    So I said, Well, do you have them frozen?
    It was the store manager who happened to be there and after about a half hour of him in the freezer,, out he came with my bagles.. Except..
    They were only Dough circles..
    Doh!
    Ok I charged ahead ,, let 6 thaw and rise.. excetp they really didnt.
    So I baked em, at 350.. anywho I mad little tractor wheels or Mini bagles so heavy you could use them for a spare tire...

Do you boil them first?? Anyone know I have 6 more..
    Let's experiment

OOps I think what I really have are BAGELS!!

Maybe we can cook bagles next time!
    Last edited by surreal; January 20th, 2002 at 07:38 PM.

I used to work at a Subway and they would put the bread in something called a Proofer. Proofer - large cavernous object, kinda like an oven, only it produces humid conditions.

Maybe they need to be proofed first so the dough will rise?

Banned
    Just jam it into a toaster then when the toaster spits it out grab the bagle and slap some meat and cheese on it and eat it before you have a chance to look at it. (It works for me... glug glug glug)

Jig of the "3 Mug O Beers"

One For All Till There All Gone

Blog Entries
    LMAO, I am sorry surreal, this is just too funny, I saw the title and im like thinking, well slice them in half and toast them. Then I clicked the link and relized there was more to it than that.

I am not sure on that, on how to raise the dough, I would probably try turning on the oven so the stovetop heats up and then putt them on a cookie sheet covered lightly wiht a towel and let them raise for a hour or 2. then bake them.

that is what i would try. so it gets some of the warmth from the oven but not be cooking. dunno about a microwave tho. i have defrosted meet too long and its practically cooks them. so mic probly be bad idea, dunno.

NeoStar

let them raise for a hour or 2. then bake them.
    DOH! there ya go,, at least an hour.. hmm I was impatient I waited 15 minutes..
    Geez Neo, you can tell my Suzie Homemaker days are way behind me! Sheesh and I used to grind grain an make bread that way!

Still aside from the rising,, hmm I may need to search google..

Man you can find anything!

Bagels are boiled in water and then baked. Some people add malt or baking soda to their boiling water to enhance the bagel's flavor; follow the instructions on the recipe you are using to discern which (if any) extra flavoring should be added. We used fresh boiling water with no added flavoring. Slide the bagels into the boiling water, being careful not to let them stick to each other. Don't crowd the bagels in the pot; overcrowding will cause the water to cool down and the bagels to stick together. Generally, two or three bagels at a time is appropriate.

5 Let the bagels cook until they have expanded in size and underside appears cooked (1 to 3 minutes) then carefully turn them with a slotted spoon or spatula. Let them cook for another minute or two; until the bagel is cooked evenly on its exterior.

6 The bagel will puff up and the center will be nearly closed when it is ready to be removed from the boiling water. It should be off-white in color and have some blisters just below the surface.

7 Arrange toppings on plates; we topped our bagels with poppy seeds. While the bagels are wet, dip them onto the toppings then arrange them on a lightly oiled baking sheet.

Bake the bagels in preheated oven until golden brown, about 15 minutes. After 10 minutes, check the bagels and loosen them from the baking sheet if they are sticking. Once they are done, place them on a rack to cool

Here's the linky in case anyone wants to go Cujo Chef!
    Last edited by surreal; January 20th, 2002 at 07:50 PM.

shahani

Thumbs up

Very nice link. I like light bagels. The New York bagels are so heavy, dense if you know what i mean. Bagels should be light, and toasted with butter or cream cheese and full fried egg with hot coffee - my idea of a good breakfast.

The link has some good soup ideas. Nothing beats a good wholesome soup (Manhattan Clam Chowder- red base) in this weather. Preceeded by cold beer, that is.

And Surreal, you'd promised to post BBQ chicken recipe before you went on vacation. We're still waiting

mickwish
    Err.. 'scuse me, but what is a bagel (however you spell it)??

Is it like a croissant?

I know this is a dumb question, but I'm form th uncouth Australia... hehe

shahani
    Dude, NO. It's definitely not that criss whatever. It's shaped like a doughnut only like bread. Very popular here in New York at breakfast time. Think of a doughnut shaped bread.

Do they have like doughnuts down there?

And Surreal, you'd promised to post BBQ chicken recipe before you went on vacation.
    Ha! I was lying!
    I can't cook BBQ chicken! Only virtual BBQ chicken!

shahani
    Shucks, Surreal, you're disapponting the Boys!!

mickwish
    Yeah, we have donuts, and TV, and electricity, and flushing loos (toilets)... but no bagels I'm aware of....

... 'course, if I shopped at the Market I could probably find some, 'cause you can get anything they say at the Market - might go looking one day just outa curiosity...

shahani
    Wow!!

Didn't know you guys are so advanced!!

Thought your cars ran of giant rubber bands- the kind you twist for a spell and then let go, if you get my drift!!

And is the flushing thing true, or you pulling my leg?

'course, if I shopped at the Market I could probably find some,

mickwish
    Originally posted by shahani
    Wow!!

Didn't know you guys are so advanced!!

Thought your cars ran of giant rubber bands- the kind you twist for a spell and then let go, if you get my drift!!

And is the flushing thing true, or you pulling my leg?
    Actually, we're not that advanced - can't even get cable where I am..

... but we do have flushing loos - ours are apparently superior to yours according to these folk...

You get bagels from a Jewish deli...period.

They are supposed to heavy. Whoever said bagels should be light doesn't know what they are talking about. If they are light, then they are not bagels.

shahani
    True. The NY bagels are very Jewish. I just like them light, whether you call tham bagels or donut shaped bread.

Jewish deli...period.
    Nope not period.. But usually... The best I've ever had are from Bagles Galore down in San Pedro... Heavy,,, dense,, delish!

shahani
    You'd feel at home in NYC. No barns here, though!!

Originally posted by surreal

Nope not period.. But usually...
    If you want a real bagel, then yes...period.

Bagel history: http://www.pastrywiz.com/letseat/bagels.htm

Personally I like jalapeno bagels.
    Last edited by OuTpaTienT; January 20th, 2002 at 10:28 PM.

Silently running through the English Channel
    LOL I saw the thread title and read it as beagles!

I know the American diet likes lots of red meat, but....

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What is the color of the sky?

Thread Information