+ Reply to Thread

window ac in room without window?

my room is a loft up a floor from the rest of the apartment, and is open to the living room/dining room partially
    we have central ac, but this room doesnt have any vents or anything.. so all the heat is coming up here, and its killing me, and im sure, my helpless computers

i thought of getting one of those tiny ac's you stick in a window, but there are no windows up here
    the people at sears said that if you ran it in a room without a window, it would burn out.. im wondering how, since wouldnt it be cooling the air, and then getting that same air again? there is pratically no outside circulation up here
    i mean, sure more hot air would probably come, but i think it could be controlled by the already cool air.. does anyone else?

see attached diagram of my thoughts
    (we have vaulted cielings, leading up towards the loft)

i mean, doesnt that make sense?

if i dont know anything about air, then we still stick with the cooler thing we got in the meantime.. but i think an ac would be better for the computers

image key: tbl = table | cd = stereo (yes my room is practically that small irl)
    blue = cool, red = hot, purple = cool/hot

btw this new forum layout is cool, you can finally do multiple attachments
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails window ac in room without window?-1-loftlocation.jpg   window ac in room without window?-2-my-thoughts.jpg  
    Last edited by JacobM5727; May 22nd, 2004 at 08:05 PM.
    --Jacob--

Blog Entries
    No, you have to vent it to somewhere. It'd be like running a refrigerator with the door off: all you'd be doing is converting electricity to heat. You wouldn't even be breaking even: Second Law of Thermodynamics.

If you could run water over the heat exchanger coils and pump the water out of the room, that'd work (from a physics point of view, at least).

You need to vent the A/C to the outside, if not through a window, knock a hole in the wall. Otherwise the back of your A/C will just blow hot air into the room, while the front is blowing cold, yielding no net cooling effect. (Actually, due to the compressor motor heat, the room would probably heat up.)

Sorry -- Theo beat me to it!

Yup. Works in theory, but the air would never get cold in the room, all a/c and freon do is move the heat around to a different place, it doesn't actually cool the air. You could look into a portable a/c w/ a ducting vent and cut a small hole in the wall, assuming that's allowed. I don't think it would be much bigger than a dryer vent...

Nice drawings an Air conditioner not only puts in cool air, it also takes out hot air. Could you run some ducting to your attic to expel the hot air?

-RADAR
    "Men sleep peacefully in their beds at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

-George Orwell

We had a similiar problem and we solved it with one of these ductless/split units. It is wonderful and works great!!!

http://www.djsonline.com/goodman_duc..._system_ce.htm

There are portable ventless room air conditioners. They cost about the same as the other kind.

http://www.bizrate.com/buy/products_...s,sfsk--2.html
    RayH42450@gmail.com
    Please indicate you are from TechIMO in subject line so you don't get deleted as spam :)

Ultimate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RayH
    There are portable ventless room air conditioners. They cost about the same as the other kind.
    Those actually DO need a vent. Just like any other, except they have a flexible duct attached to them. They still need to vent.

I dont think you can do it, you have to vent it somehow. I mean you could run 20' of dryer duct, attact it to a portable a/c, and run it outside somehow, but your still venting it.

Blaze

Remember, the longer the vent, the less efficient the unit will be. I know when the temps went from the high 80's to to high 90's, the environmental control units could not keep our tents cool enough. Well we reduced the length of ducting from the tent to the return on the ECU by half and we were suddenly in the 70's again. Long story short, keep the ducting as short as possible.

-RADAR
    "Men sleep peacefully in their beds at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

-George Orwell

Is there no gable end to the room that you could frame in the A/C?

Cheers!

its an apartment, we cant install things or cut holes in the walls or cieling, and we are on the 3rd floor (top)

i guess im just screwed, thanks anyway
    Last edited by JacobM5727; May 23rd, 2004 at 01:25 AM.
    --Jacob--

Being in an apartment is really bad. Most likely your 'room" was originally a storage space that the landlord decided to try and get more money for by advertising it as an extra bedroom.

Unfortunately you dont have any real fix for this problem. I would suggest, though, that you move ANY heat source(your computers, etc...) down stairs, and that you go into the room only when necessary.

When possible, move to a better place.

There's always liquid cooling and a fan for the person at the helm.

Cheers!

It might be worth talking to the landlord about. If the job is done well, the landlord may not object.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What is 10 and 5 added together?

Thread Information