+ Reply to Thread

Safe to pay w/ Western union auction pay?

I bought a BUNCH of mountain dew codes from a relatively new seller on ebay, total came to almost $100, free shipping (he'll just email the codes).

He's ID verified, I have his home address and his phone number - I'll call it later.

Problem is, he only accepts personal check and western union money order.
    I can do a money order online for <$5 and use my debit card. Wuestion is, does this sound safe? They offer no buyer protection, they just print out the money order and send it to the guy. He'll get an email that says the $$ is good, so he can send the product before he actually gets the M.O.

Does this seem fishy? All the items he's bought are cheap, and some of them are actually points.

My real question is should I send a personal check, or pay for a M.O. with my debit card, would one be safer, or are they about the same?

Thanks!

You pays your money and takes your chances!
    RayH42450@gmail.com
    Please indicate you are from TechIMO in subject line so you don't get deleted as spam :)

Super Stealthy Moderator RicheemxX's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I assume your talking about the site "BidPay.com" from what I've heard they are on the up and up. Its not alot different fromusing pay-pal with the exception that it will cost you another 2.00 to use the service...which I really don't care for.

Yeah, rich, it used to be bidpay, recently renamed. I don't necessarily mean is the site safe, but if there's an easier way to recoup my $$ if I don't get any codes in return.

Super Stealthy Moderator RicheemxX's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    well pretty much anytime your doing deals like these you have little to no buyer protection, however using your debit card usually provides less protection than using a CC but either way you go if something happens at least you can go to your CC company or bank and they will usually help you out. I didn't read all of the user agreement but I though there was at least some sort of buyer protection in there somewhere concerning charge backs but like i said I didn't read it all.

edit: the way I kinda understand it is you can always put a stop payment on the money order if there is an issue with none delievery therefore if he's emailing the codes to you as soon as he gets the email confirming payment then you should be pretty safe

My thinking is this ;

if you knew in advance that you had to use bidpay then you should have raised your concerns with the seller in the begining. However if you didn't know until after the deal was made and you have questions concerning the sellers rep or feedback or for some reason have any other issues then you should take them up with the seller. Other than that your pretty much stuck with a crap shoot as you are contractually obligated to pay him. I'd contact the seller and try to reach a mutually agreeable answer to your concerns.

good luck hope you can work it out.
    Last edited by RicheemxX; June 9th, 2004 at 10:04 PM.

people ask western union for payment just to make sure they will not gwt riff off, cause of creditcard fraud on ebay is a well known problem for all ebay users

bidpay is like sending "real" money order, you don't get any quarranty, you can be fooled, but the same with paypal ( I lost money with paypal, fraud, I'm a ebay regular buyer) I paid 4 times with bidpay and no problems, but I only buy from high points sellers.
    There is always a better way.

Check is your safest way, since BidPay offers no buyer protection.

It's safe for the seller.
    RayH42450@gmail.com
    Please indicate you are from TechIMO in subject line so you don't get deleted as spam :)

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What is 10 and 5 added together?

Thread Information