+ Reply to Thread
    Blog Entries

ACLU defends conservative professor charged with political incorrectness

Lecture causes dispute

UNLV accused of limiting free speech

By RICHARD LAKE
    REVIEW-JOURNAL

A UNLV professor under fire for comments he made about homosexuals during a class lecture last year demanded Friday that the university stop threatening to punish him.

"I have done absolutely nothing wrong," said the professor, Hans Hoppe, a conservative libertarian economist with almost 20 years teaching experience at the University of Nevada, Las Vegas.

The American Civil Liberties Union of Nevada, on Hoppe's behalf, sent a letter to UNLV officials alleging that the university violated Hoppe's free speech rights and his right to academic freedom.

"The charge against professor Hoppe is totally specious and without merit," reads the letter from ACLU attorney Allen Lichtenstein.

He said they would sue the university if necessary, though they hope to avoid it.

UNLV officials would not comment on the case, saying they cannot talk publicly about personnel matters.

Hoppe, 55, a world-renowned economist, author and speaker, said he was giving a lecture to his money and banking class in March when the incident occurred.

The subject of the lecture was economic planning for the future. Hoppe said he gave several examples to the class of about 30 upper-level undergraduate students on groups who tend to plan for the future and groups who do not.

Very young and very old people, for example, tend not to plan for the future, he said. Couples with children tend to plan more than couples without.

As in all social sciences, he said, he was speaking in generalities.

Another example he gave the class was that homosexuals tend to plan less for the future than heterosexuals.

Reasons for the phenomenon include the fact that homosexuals tend not to have children, he said. They also tend to live riskier lifestyles than heterosexuals, Hoppe said.

He said there is a belief among some economists that one of the 20th century's most influential economists, John Maynard Keynes, was influenced in his beliefs by his homosexuality. Keynes espoused a "spend it now" philosophy to keep an economy strong, much as President Bush did after the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks.

Hoppe said the portion of the lecture on homosexuals lasted perhaps 90 seconds, while the entire lecture took up his 75-minute class.

There were no questions or any discussion from the students about the homosexual comments, he said.

"I have given lectures like this for 18 years," said Hoppe, a native of Germany who joined UNLV's faculty in 1986. "I have given this lecture all over the world and never had any complaints about it."

But within days of the lecture, he was notified by school officials that a student had lodged an informal complaint. The student said Hoppe's comments offended him.

A series of formal hearings ensued.

Hoppe said that, at the request of university officials, he clarified in his next class that he was speaking in generalities only and did not mean to offend anyone.

As an example of what he meant, he offered this: Italians tend to eat more spaghetti than Germans, and Germans tend to eat more sauerkraut than Italians. It is not universally true, he said, but it is generally true.

The student then filed a formal complaint, Hoppe said, alleging that Hoppe did not take the complaint seriously.

He said university officials first said they would issue him a letter of reprimand and dock him a week's pay.

That option was rejected by Hoppe's dean and by the university provost, Hoppe said.

More hearings ensued, he said. In the end, the university gave him until Friday to accept its latest offer of punishment: It would issue him a letter of reprimand and he would give up his next pay increase.

Hoppe, a tenured full professor, contacted the ACLU on the recommendation of an attorney friend of his. Hoppe is now their client.

"I felt like I was the victim," he said, "not the student."

ACLU officials said the validity of Hoppe's economic theories does not matter. It is his right to espouse them in class.

"We don't subscribe to Hans' theories and certainly understand why some students find them offensive," said Gary Peck, the ACLU of Nevada's executive director.

"But academic freedom means nothing if it doesn't protect the right of professors to present scholarly ideas that are relevant to their curricula, even if they are controversial and rub people the wrong way."

Hoppe said he is dumbfounded by the university's response to the student's complaint. It is not his job, he said, to consider how a student might feel about economic theories.

"Our task is to teach what we consider to be right," he said. The offended student, he said, should have been told to "grow up."

Hoppe protested that university officials declined to speak to other students in the class to find out what actually happened and even rejected letters he solicited from a half-dozen students.

UNLV's general counsel, Richard Linstrom, would not talk about Hoppe's case, but said the university values free speech.

"The administration of UNLV is fully committed to academic freedom in all respects," he said. Linstrom said he was in a Board of Regents meeting most of Friday and had not seen the ACLU's letter.

Lichtenstein, the ACLU lawyer, said the university's response to Hoppe's situation might stifle free speech on the campus.

"If he can be silenced, that's going to create self-censorship among other faculty members who won't say anything controversial," he said. "Who's going to lose in all this? The students."
    I can't see anything the least offensive about what he said; but even if he had claimed that homosexuals were responsible for the collapse of Western civilization, UNLV's attempt to punish him would be an outrage.
    The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds; and the pessimist fears this is true. -- James Branch Cabell

I'm still waiting for the part of that speech that was so offensive that a formal complaint needed to be filed.

I didnt see anything for a student to be offended about either. But it sounds more like the ACLU publicizing what they are doing than a real issue.

If the school decides to go on with this, I believe that the lawyers will have a field day and the only losers will be the students. The only outcome either way will be a dampening of free speech, and loss of honest opinions.

What bugs me about this is the professor could have hurt the students feelings over the labeling of nationalities, or of parents sensibilities, but the article zoomed in on the comments of made about homosexuals, and I could find no proof that is what the student was complaining about. AS far as I could read, it could have been about the parents, the germans, the italians, the french, or any of about a dozen other things that offended the student, but the article focused on the homophobic angle.
    They say technology slows down for no one. I know it outruns my wallet. I figure its because my wallet isn't light enough yet.

TechIMO Folding@home Team #111 - Crunching for the cure!
    dulce bellum inexpertis

Prof. of DooGlian Studies MegalosSkylaki's Avatar
    I think that the ACLU is intellectually a different animal than the New York CLU....
    FIRST TEN YEARS ANNIVERSARY HONOR ROLL
    this April 18th, 2014 and will be Officially Celebrated That Day! SEE http://www.techimo.com/forum/imo-com...ml#post1070600

Grow up??? God forbid! *gasp*

i wouldn't even have been that generous in my response. If i was the guy the kid complained to, i'd tell him to get over it and stop being a whiny little baby.

Apparently, cutting the "violent" scenes out of bugs bunny has created a coddled generation of wimps. I would love to never hear about anyone's precious, delicate sensibilities being offended ever again!

"That offended me!"
    "Who gives a f***?"
    Usually, terrible things that are done with the excuse that progress requires them are not really progress, but just terrible things.

Did he say anything that wasn't true?

Come on, chip - you know better than that! The truth is irrelevant when it comes in conflict with the potential of offending someone...
    Usually, terrible things that are done with the excuse that progress requires them are not really progress, but just terrible things.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by chipbgt
    Did he say anything that wasn't true?
    Not that I know of. As he said himself, it's probably an overgeneralization; and it may not be true any more, because times do change. Truth can be offensive; that's why academic freedom is important, even if he's wrong.

You might want to read Philip Roth's The Human Stain.
    The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds; and the pessimist fears this is true. -- James Branch Cabell

All I see is a generalization. IMO this is similar to a professor saying African Americans are more prone to a disease like sickle cell anemia and a student filing a complaint. It seems like a big overreaction to nothing at all.
    Wake up you're dead.

Prof. of DooGlian Studies MegalosSkylaki's Avatar
    Unfortunately, in certain settings, "acting-out" behaviours get reinforced by reward. ** Unfortunately, both the Prof and the Student have to deal with it.

Was there no Nevada CLU ?

DOOOG

** D h ! Can anybody spot the tautology in that sentence ?
    Last edited by MegalosSkylaki; February 7th, 2005 at 10:18 PM.
    FIRST TEN YEARS ANNIVERSARY HONOR ROLL
    this April 18th, 2014 and will be Officially Celebrated That Day! SEE http://www.techimo.com/forum/imo-com...ml#post1070600

I taught driver education to military students for about a year in Germany. After one of my earliest classes I got hauled on the carpet because one of the students accused me of using profanity in my class. I was amazed and confused. I was sure I had used no profanity at all. Turns out I had called something a "damn shame." The word "damn" offended a student who had invited me to a Bible study meeting at the beginning of class; an invitation I VERY politely refused.

There is mostly likely more to this story than is being told above. The student who filed the complaint has another bone to pick, albeit one with even less validity.
    You can't fix stupidity.

BBA
    PC...so yesterday.
    BBA

All things being equal...i hope that student is being shuned by all that know him/her. The whole thing is a complete waste of time and a mockery to the justice system.

Normally i don't straight up call someone a whiny little something...but the term is fitting here. I also can't see anything wrong with the statement. Even without the generalization...his reasoning was still not because he views any problem with homosexuals, but simply that they do not have kids. his views of heterosexuals without kids is the same...then when you throw his acknowledgement that he has simply been making generalizations...jeez...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MegalosSkylaki
    Was there no Nevada CLU ?
    That is the Nevada CLU.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What is 10 and 5 added together?

Thread Information