+ Reply to Thread

car door stuck closed

I have a '91 Celica GT and I can't get the passenger side door open. I put the window down and was able to look down inside and the linkage is still attached and working, but the door won't release from the catch. It has power locks and they seem to be working fine, I can hear them operating. The guy I bought it from said it worked fine when he had it, and he is a friend so I trust him. Does anyone have any tips on how I can get the door open? I appreciate any advice I can get to solve this problem.

Sounds like the latch in the door is not releasing which can be caused by a worn latch mechanisim or the linkage is not traveling far enough to depress latch to open lock can have same problem. At the shop we would remove inner door panel from inside and attempt to operate latch from inside door at this point you can spray WD40 on the latch and see if just sticky or you May have to pull handle if linkage is problem get a rod from the wrecking yard or alter the one you have. If you can remove door panel it will give you the ability to look at latch while its operating to detect problem or latch failure. The inner door panel is not to difficult to remove just take your time.
    Last edited by disciple; March 26th, 2005 at 06:57 PM.

The problem with that is the screws that hold the panel on can only be accessed with the door open. I was hoping there was some tool that could get in there and reach the mechanism. I know there are a few mechanics in this forum so I figured I would ask. I have a few other things to try out tomorrow. I may just have to bring it to my mechanic. Thanks for the reply, I will look again at the door panel and see if I can get enough room to squeeze my arm in there.

Try operating the locks and the latches while bumping the door inward from the outside. Maybe the gasket has some "squish" and will let the latch slide back.
    Obama: "If you like your Ebola, you can keep your Ebola!"

Did you ever fix this problem? I have same issue, with a 98 acura cl. Door is stuck shut, i cant open from key hole, outside, or inside the car. Cant pull panel off cause the door is shut. IDeas?

slim jim
    He who seeks vengeance must dig two graves. One for his enemy, and one for himself.-- Lao Tzu

Acura 98 door wont open

Quote Originally Posted by Sidewayz View Post
    Did you ever fix this problem? I have same issue, with a 98 acura cl. Door is stuck shut, i cant open from key hole, outside, or inside the car. Cant pull panel off cause the door is shut. IDeas?
    I also have the same problem with my 98 Acura. Were you able to fix yours and if so how?
    Last edited by wess7777; June 21st, 2010 at 09:49 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wess7777 View Post
    I also have the same problem with my 98 Acura. Were you able to fix yours and if so how?
    High explosives dude.... High explosives..

You people are you satisfied with this kind of world? I'm not.

car door stuck closed

i took off back door to try to get a better angle on latch mechanism on front driver side door but the latch wont budge is there a part on latch i can try to free it with a screw driver of soom sort

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What is 10 and 5 added together?

Thread Information