+ Reply to Thread
Page 201 of 513 FirstFirst ... 101 151 191 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 211 251 301 ... LastLast
Results 4,001 to 4,020 of 10249
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Car Talk!

Living the dream The Real Bingo's Avatar
    lmao...

Brandon, have you ever considered teaching philosophy or human emotions?

Blog Entries
    it's called something I enjoy reading about, you know, a hobby?
    Main PC: Intel i7 4790k/ 16gb DDR3 2400 / AMD R9 290X @ 1100 Core & 1350mhz Mem / Win7 Pro 64bit
    Linux Boxr: AMD FX-8120/ 4gb DDR3 1866/ Nvidia GTS450/ Ubuntu 12.04
    Laptop: HP-Compaq nc8430/ Intel CoreDuo T2400 / 2gb DDR2 667/ Ati x1600 / WinXP Pro 32bit

Quote Originally Posted by brandon184
    Oh, Epyon. I was simply being facetious. I find these monotonous and uninformed "ULTRA FAST" car debates to be the dumbest thing since stirrup pants. I'm going to love it when you kids hit reality. I can really see you (bottom) and Binder (top) being very happy together, though. And that's what you'll find matters most. The wealth that you find in your relationships with others is more important than who drives a faster car.

you are being annoying.

Ultimate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by The Real Bingo
    lmao...

Brandon, have you ever considered teaching philosophy or human emotions?
    Someday!

Ultimate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EpyonMelee
    you are being annoying.
    What you gon' do 'bout it?

Quote Originally Posted by brandon184
    What you gon' do 'bout it?

Nothing.

Blog Entries
    I am thinking about looking at a Reatta in the morning. The price is kind of high compared to retail book, but it is in excellent condition from what I could see over the weekend. It is inside a local dealer's showroom (place was closed). Example pics for those not in the know:

http://images.google.com/images?svnu...ta&btnG=Search

Not sure about the year. If it is an 88-89 model, it will have the digital dash and center console touch screen CRT controls. Neat, especially for the period. Definitely makes for a retro look. Example pics:

http://www.murrayco.com/Car_Collecti...tta_89_lg4.jpg
    http://images.autotrader.com/images/..._A.562x421.jpg

And no, I do not need anyone to quote me 0-60MPH times (about 8.5 seconds) or handling characteristics (significant understear + poor rear swaybar design). Despite what the Reatta looks like and how it was marketed, it is not a sports car. It is more of a personal interest vehicle, and to be honest, I am about done with performance cars anyway. The Reatta and the Allante (same parent GM platform, but different design and drivetrain) are the last of the hand built two-seat cars manufactured by the Big 3 in Detroit.

If I do not buy the Reatta, I might look for a late model used Eldorado or older Allante after the beginning of the year. I love my Talon and will be keeping it for the occasional weekend drive, but it is far from me ever considering it to be a comfortable daily driver.

The Sable wagon may soon be sold. I have a family member that is interested in it, of course minus the roof shaking stereo and dual exhaust.

I have about given up on the Pontiac Solstice idea. The price point is definitely appealing, but the size of the car is not. I am not sure if I want my daily driver to be another small car. The Reatta is not large by any means, but it has about the same amount of forward interior room as its mass-produced Riviera sibling.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RobRich
    And no, I do not need anyone to quote me 0-60MPH times (about 8.5 seconds) or handling characteristics.
    awwwww!

But seriously, the car isn't bad at all, and if you can get a good deal grab it. I have never came accross one in my car "knowledge" years, so they must be somewhat uncommon. Is it RWD or FWD (not asking for performance reasons, just cool-factor reasons) Also. the interior is actually really nice for that year.

We just recently got a 86 Buick Skylark as an extra car, and the interior isn't bad on it at all.
    Main PC: Intel i7 4790k/ 16gb DDR3 2400 / AMD R9 290X @ 1100 Core & 1350mhz Mem / Win7 Pro 64bit
    Laptop: HP-Compaq nc8430/ Intel CoreDuo T2400 / 2gb DDR2 667/ Ati x1600 / WinXP Pro 32bit

Blog Entries
    But seriously, the car isn't bad at all, and if you can get a good deal grab it.
    The Reatta is probably not a deal, but is is cheap enough and unique enough to attract my attention.

I have never came accross one in my car "knowledge" years, so they must be somewhat uncommon.
    About 22,500 were manufactured. Probably about 50-60% of those are still on the road.

Is it RWD or FWD (not asking for performance reasons, just cool-factor reasons) Also. the interior is actually really nice for that year.
    It has a front-wheel drive train with the venerable GM 3800 v6 turning about 170HP, mated to a Buick four-speed automatic. The end result is an extremely smooth ride. If you want to slam from gear to gear, the Reatta is not the car for you. As to performance, obviously is has marginal take off at best. However, it has great highway acceleration. When it shifts into second, you better hold on to the steering wheel if at full throttle, as it will push you back in the seat.

Just so I cover all the bases, this is a car you do not want to screw with in regards to aftermarket modifications. Upgrading the exhaust, porting the manifold, and changing out the air box is about as "exotic" as you will find for Reatta mods. The engine management systems (yes, I said systems! ECM + BCM) are not tuner friendly.

I know of three aftermarket forced induction Reattas: two turbocharged and one supercharged. The electronics are a nightmare to engineer, especially with the Reatta's rather limited MAF sensor setup. There is no way to determine exact boost, so fuel to air ratios are programmed by aftermarket tuners according to estimates (more like best guesses). I know of none stupid enough to attempt NOS on a Reatta. I believe the MAF drops out somewhere around 255CFM. The end result with a 50 shot would be a blown engine after a couple of quarter-mile passes.

There were 11 forced induction prototypes manufactured by Buick. IIRC, six turbo and five super. Some of the later prototypes where rear-wheel drive. Information is scarce, but the Reatta community would love to examine one to determine the correct parts and to download the ECM if possible. There is a Reatta parts dealer that has reportedly recently found a prototype model in a barn in Georgia. IIRC, it is supposed to be a RWD turbo. If so, there may be hope yet for affordable aftermarket performance, thus finally making the Reatta a true sports car. If not, no big deal, as only a few owners of the remaining Reatta fleet would subject their cars to such extensive modifications anyway.

One thing I do know about the prototypes is that GM recently crushed its stored Reattas. How nice. Instead of helping out the Reatta community by providing them with a study example (even if just temporarily), GM saw fit to instead silently crush the remaining cars. Probably had to make room in the prototype warehouse for a failed gas guzzling SUV or cheap four-door family sedan. Depressing. :/

I was originally exposed to the Reatta community through a family member. I can say one thing for Reatta owners. They are some of the nicest car enthusiasts you will ever meet, especially those among the online community. Can't say the same for the import tuning scene right now. The import scene used to be about technical discussion (what parts for best performance and style) and having fun (weekly meets, parts swaps, etc.). It is quickly turning into trash talk, uninformed opinions, and clueless posers.

Blog Entries
    Hmm, interesting read. You sure do your homework

The car definately sounds unique though, I might have to do some research on it myself, as it is a new car to me.

You don't need performance from a car like that anyway, it's not made for it and it's a nice daily driver that isn't something you see everyday.

Blog Entries
    Meh, personally, I know why they stopped making the Reatta....they's ugly!

To each his own though, I used to have a VW bug and thought it was the cat's meow while others scorned and mocked me. My first car and certainly not the last bug I'll ever own ( or at least air cooled VW....I want a 21 window microbus someday, but the wife keeps blocking that decision )

Next thing you know, Rob'll be wanting an old Cimmerron
    this post contains small bits of intelligence culminating to the appearance of wisdom.

http://www.shareaproject.com/pages/p...,p,346,00.html

Blog Entries
    The Reatta looks great, but turns out the mileage is too high considering what they are asking for the car. I know where another one is with low mileage for a reasonable price, but I am not found of the exterior color. The Reatta never did look right in white. Red is my preference if driving a Reatta.

Anyway, I am not in a huge rush. I took me a few months to find the Talon.

Next thing you know, Rob'll be wanting an old Cimmerron
    How about a Chevette with a 350, five-speed manual, and drag bars?

Blog Entries
    I'd rather have a Monza Spyder.
    this post contains small bits of intelligence culminating to the appearance of wisdom.

Blog Entries
    I will see your Monza Spyder, and raise you by a Gremlin X.

Blog Entries
    Now that gremlin is scary!

Blog Entries
    Isn't that a Monza sitting next to it?

Blog Entries
    Could be. Too bad the pic does not include the front end.

Thumbs up

It looks like a Chevy Vega beside it too me

Or not....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Car Talk!-175-1122341747791.jpg  
    Last edited by Cyclone2; December 21st, 2005 at 01:06 AM.

Blog Entries
    ohhhh new photo's of the challenger for you all.

Look at em and love em at the same time. Retro at it's finest!

http://www.challengertalk.com/forums...hread.php?t=43

Blog Entries
    if it sees production, I have a new car to lust over.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What is 10 and 5 added together?

Thread Information