+ Reply to Thread
Page 505 of 505 FirstFirst ... 5 405 455 495 501 502 503 504 505
Results 10,081 to 10,093 of 10093

Thread: Car Talk!

The new 2015 F150 has been unveiled.

Ford just spanked Chevy and Ram IMO. We'll have to see what Nissan has up their sleeves with their new Titan and 5.0 Cummins Turbo Diesel.

The new all aluminum chassis is 700lbs lighter (I was expecting this since that is about how much the Rang Rover dropped in weight when it switched to aluminum).

The 6.2L engine is gone, but two new engines are added to the mix. A 3.5L NA V6 that is going to be more powerful than the current 3.7L NA V6 and a 2.7L Ecoboost V6 that makes as much power as a mid-sized V8. The 5.0 Coyote and the 3.5L Ecoboost V6 will carry over as well.

There will be a 360 Camera option with a bird's eye view.

A factory installed trailer monitor that warns the driver of problems with the trailer like a burnt out brake light or failed brakes.

Power-lock tail gate with a built in Cleat system for ramps.

LED lights in the bed.

A 120 volt plug now powerful enough to run a decent gaming computer.

The only thing Ford did not do that everyone was asking for, is introduce a turbo diesel. It would have been a better choice IMO than having two Ecoboost V6s.

2015 Ford F-150 makes radical jump to aluminum body
    One by one the penguins steal my sanity.

TechIMO Folding@home Team #111 - Crunching for the cure!

Blog Entries
    Speaking of trucks, perhaps we have found Nick something to consider in the future. There are still a few low-mileage Subaru Baja trucks out there. I do not see many of the turbo models for sale, though, assuming that is a requirement. YMMV - pun intended?

Anyway, he can transport the kids, haul stuff, get somewhat acceptable fuel efficiency, and still have AWD for the winter weather. All while driving an unique vehicle. I know it is closer to a Legacy, but still, he could consider it a slightly larger Impreza with a short truck bed instead of a trunk.
    Robert Richmond | Infinite perceptions. One reality.
    TechIMO.com Community Director

Rumors are going around that the 2.7L Ecoboost V6 in the new F150 will get better gas mileage than the new 3.0L Diesel Ram, which is expected to already get a great 28mpg.

Just imagine what kind of mileage the F150 could get with a diesel instead of a turbo gas V6.

Blog Entries
    I am not really into trucks, so about the only current diesel vehicle in which I am interested is the Passat TDI. Potentially upwards of 45MPG on the highway, and yet still has decent enough torque and gears for city driving, highway passing, etc.

Going to the extreme in driving styles, a couple of what I assume are hypermilers averaged nearly 78MPG over 8000+ miles in a 2013 Passat TDI.

What about the Cruze diesel?

I wouldn't mind a Jetta Sportwagon TDI.

Living the dream The Real Bingo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bizkitkid2001 View Post
    Now I see why you need that new transmission.

Anything done to the brakes? Does the F150 share the same bolt pattern? Many Camry owners have been buying brakes from Highlanders and installing it on their Camrys for a cheap big brake kit. Would be cool if you could do the same with the Mustang and another Ford vehicle with bigger brakes.
    A big brake kit is on the list...probably the 2013 GT500 15" kit.

Living the dream The Real Bingo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bizkitkid2001 View Post
    The new 2015 F150 has been unveiled.

Ford just spanked Chevy and Ram IMO. We'll have to see what Nissan has up their sleeves with their new Titan and 5.0 Cummins Turbo Diesel.

The new all aluminum chassis is 700lbs lighter (I was expecting this since that is about how much the Rang Rover dropped in weight when it switched to aluminum).

The 6.2L engine is gone, but two new engines are added to the mix. A 3.5L NA V6 that is going to be more powerful than the current 3.7L NA V6 and a 2.7L Ecoboost V6 that makes as much power as a mid-sized V8. The 5.0 Coyote and the 3.5L Ecoboost V6 will carry over as well.

There will be a 360 Camera option with a bird's eye view.

A factory installed trailer monitor that warns the driver of problems with the trailer like a burnt out brake light or failed brakes.

Power-lock tail gate with a built in Cleat system for ramps.

LED lights in the bed.

A 120 volt plug now powerful enough to run a decent gaming computer.

The only thing Ford did not do that everyone was asking for, is introduce a turbo diesel. It would have been a better choice IMO than having two Ecoboost V6s.

2015 Ford F-150 makes radical jump to aluminum body
    I wish Ford would bring back the Ranger with a little turbo diesel. An F-150 diesel would be sweet as well. I'm really digging the new F-150 and it should be a hit. Ford's upping the ante again; they just need an 8-speed transmission to be on par with Dodge Ram.

That sad thing is, Ford has been selling a turbo diesel Ranger for decades. Just not in North America.

What is promising is that Ford is going to offer their 3.2L Powerstroke turbo diesel in their new Transit van here in North America. Hopefully that means if they decide to bring the Ranger back to the US, it can use the 3.2L Powerstroke.

Prof. of DooGlian Studies MegalosSkylaki's Avatar
    Because of a shortage of petrol, gasoline and diesel powered automobiles in Europe were converted to natural gas which was often obtained from wood chips; the gas was carried in canvas or metal bags attached to the car or lorry.

See >>> The Silver Bear Cafe

The technology was dropped at War's end but many continued experimenting with it, especially during the fuel shortages of the 70's.

Who knows...maybe the natural gas obtained from Fracking shale will lead to an LNG auto.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Car Talk!-gas_bad.jpg   Car Talk!-gas_mercedes-gasified-car.jpg   Car Talk!-gas232.jpg   Car Talk!-k-bigpic.jpg   Car Talk!-un.png  

Blog Entries

Is $125 labor for replacing front brake pads and rotors a good deal? Just labor, no parts. I will be supplying the parts myself.

This is the price quoted by my Toyota Dealership, and it seemed reasonable, as the next cheapest shop I called quoted $170 for the labor, and the most expensive being $250. The dealership said that they also have a vehicle lifetime warranty on labor, the other places were more like "We are good enough we don't need a warranty".

I plan on ordering Centric 120 rotors and Akebono Performance pads from Tirerack, and letting the dealership use the Toyota OEM brake fluid (Around $4 a bottle I think).

The reason I want to replace the rotors and pads is because the OEM pads (which are also made by Akebono, but use a softer pad material mixture) leave pad residue on the rotors very easily, which causes the pulsating feeling when braking. I had to resurface the rotors at 30K miles, and now I am almost at 60K miles and my brakes are pulsating again. I have temporarily fixed the issue by doing several back to back 60-5mph hard braking runs, but after being in stop and go traffic and sitting at a light for a long time the pulsation will come back, until I do another hard 60-5mph run again to "clean" the rotors. The pads seem to be leaving residue much easier now, yet they still have a lot of material left (The dealership said that they are at 5 out of 10 on their scale, which is good for being almost at 60K miles).

This is a problem experienced by a lot of Camry owners, and it seems the OEM pads are to blame. I thought about just replacing the pads, but since I already resurfaced the rotors once, I figured I would replace them as well since it would be better to start with fresh rotors for better bedding performance with the new pads, and rotors are relatively cheap.

Also, my brake fluid is a greenish yellow color, like Mountain Dew. I checked it to see if it was brown/black (deposit build up) and was surprised to see that it looked like Mountain Dew. I read online that DOT 3 brake fluid is usually Amber in color, but I could not find anything about the color of the fluid that Toyota uses. My car is 4 years old and AFAIK, the brake fluid has never been replaced (unless they replace the brake fluid when they resurface the rotors). I do know that the dealership has at least been topping it off, because even though my pads are halfway worn, my brake fluid reservoir shows the fluid line a quarter of an inch above the full line. My brakes get spongy after driving in heavy traffic, which makes me think the brake fluid is old and is boiling easily, its just by looking at the color, the brake fluid does not look old.
    Last edited by Bizkitkid2001; March 22nd, 2014 at 04:21 AM.

Blog Entries
    The price is a little high, but being a dealership, that is expected. As you said, the price for the "warranty" could be worth the difference.

Brake fluid is hygroscopic, which could be leading to how your brakes currently feel. Note, air could do the same thing, though. Go ahead and replace the fluid IMO. If nothing else, at least they will bleed the system to remove air, plus you will have fresh fluid without water contamination.

If you want a stiffer pedal feel, look into steel braided brake lines to the calipers for at least the fronts. Standard rubber lines can expand and contract under pressure. Most people do not care or even notice, but if you want to push the limits of the brake system performance, then it could be a little upgrade for only moderate money.

I would like to get steel braided brake lines, but no one wants to make kits for the Gen 6 Camry. On Toyota Nation (I am a member there), people have only found one kit for the Gen 6 Camry and it is about $100. People that have installed them said that they can't feel a difference, so I doubt I would feel a big difference anyways. Even if the brake feel didn't change, the added safety would be worth the upgraded, if the kit was $50 and not $100.

My uncle told me about a mechanic that he got a quote from to put new rotors and pads on his truck for $85 per axle. Depending on how good of service he gets, I will call that same mechanic to get a quote for my car to see if it is cheaper than the dealership.

Also, I have noticed that my brakes need to heat up a little to get full bite. After the car has sat and the brakes are cold, the first panic stop won't even activate the abs going about 30mph (slamming on the brakes to avoid hitting deer while leaving my neighborhood). It isn't rust as Toyota OEM rotors do not develop rust on the braking surface (like with Ford vehicles). However, if I need to avoid another deer ( there are a lot of deer in my neighborhood), the ABS will kick in right away and my car will stop a lot faster. I wonder if this is caused by pad, rotor wear, or old brake fluid, as my car did not always behave this way.
    Last edited by Bizkitkid2001; March 22nd, 2014 at 06:28 PM.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What planet do we live on?

Thread Information