+ Reply to Thread
Page 510 of 510 FirstFirst ... 10 410 460 500 506 507 508 509 510
Results 10,181 to 10,200 of 10200
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Car Talk!

Prof. of DooGlian Studies MegalosSkylaki's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RobRich View Post
    Speaking of cars, plus back down to more realistic levels, I know where to pickup a low-mileage Soarer GT TT for a decent price. I am just not sure about dealing with another manual transmission right now, especially in a RHD configuration.

Is 'active suspension' here simply adjustable or entirely dynamic (changes while driving) ? and how does twin turbo work?

Regarding, manual drive, Clint Eastwood had to personally teach his actor to drive one for the Jersey Boys (?) flic.
    Haven't driven one so long I might need lessons myself....
    FIRST TEN YEARS ANNIVERSARY HONOR ROLL
    this April 18th, 2014 and will be Officially Celebrated That Day! SEE http://www.techimo.com/forum/imo-com...ml#post1070600

Blog Entries
    Psoriatic arthritis, along with other issues, makes driving a manual often a painful experience for me. I rarely drive my Trans Am anymore due to it, plus the T-56 is not exactly known for smooth shifter engagement. I did a shift detent mod on mine to marginally improve shifting smoothness at the expense of slightly reduced engagement accuracy when moving the shifter into gears. I also migrated the fluid from ATF to Pennzoil Synchromesh. Why Tremec allows ATF for OEM fluid in a manual transmission is bizarre IMO.

The video ya' embedded is a much later Soarer. It is similar to Lexus models we received here in the states.

I can source an older GZ20 with extremely low mileage, plus it can be legally registered here due to its age. It is essentially a grand touring coupe body on a Supra Mark III platform. The TT models use small parallel turbos on an 1G-GTEU for driveability instead of outright factory performance.

More info about the various Soarer models at Wiki:

Toyota Soarer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Dealing with a right-hand drive manual transmission is my primary concern with importing something like the mentioned Soarer.
    Robert Richmond | Infinite perceptions. One reality.
    TechIMO.com Community Director

All We Are Asking Networker4321's Avatar
    RR,

Two things: I can see why you would be concerned about any RHD vehicle with a manual shift tranny, especially with that type of arthritis. Doesn't that cause grief for you up through the wrist and elbow too?

I can't find that model on the linked Wiki. GTEU?

I ran across what I believe is an excellent investment and would be fun to drive for a month or so. A 2009, low mileage Mercedes at the market with a "For Sale by Owner" sign on the dash (top was down) CLK-350, 40K miles and the interior was immaculate. Exterior, a couple of minor scratches which I believe would buff out with my Meguiar's Ultimate Compound and my disc buffer. Was disappointed to learn it was a V-6 but we ran it out the road and back, acceleration was better than I thought it would be. Handling was nice. Stayed flat in a flat curve.... Guy has to get married, girl is "with child". He needs cash and quickly. Asking $20K. I wrote down his name and number. KBB says $27,500 for "Very Good" and I was brutal on the eval.

Been a while since I had a convertible but, as today is the first day of summer there are months of hot, dry weather ahead. I know it will shrink my total available market as a V-6 AND being a convertible, but I can't believe I couldn't pick up a quick $3-4K profit if I buy it Monday.

You know of any issues with this model of Merc? I would think you would see a lot of Cabriolet's down where you live. Any known issues with the folding mechanisms you know of?

Good luck with the Toyota look-see. Is that the one with the "Griffin" logo? I know it is actually a winged lion.

Ah, there's the timer. Time to take the seal off the top of my Family size Stouffers Scalloped Chicken with linguine and vegetables, back in the oven for 15 minutes on top of the 70 it's already been in the oven. Cookin' with gas! Eating alone, wife doing annual internal audit for the nearby State Resort Park.

Thanks Rob. I am still recovering from my nuclear medicine yesterday which does not go well with a pain pump. Had the complete set of Echoview, CardioLyte infusion and a MyOview. Had a little angina twice in one week two weeks back. Already had a heart attack when I was 38, don't need or want another. My PCP saw one missing "down" pulse on my EKG. Everbody gets real excited....

Rick
    "A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way" - Mark Twain

Blog Entries
    The Mercedes V6 engines are considered generally reliable IMO. The CLK is also not quite as loaded down with technology and over-engineering like its roadster siblings, so long-term maintenance and service might not be quite as expensive.

The convertible mechanism is probably the weakest point if (when?) something breaks, but that is about "par for the course" for dealing with convertibles.

As for a quick profit on a Benz, that is a huge YMMV. Book prices are not always a great indicator of Mercedes resale values. It is more about demand, and even then it is down to a model-by-model basis. Mercedes are also quite cyclical in price. Been that way for a long time, and judging the market can be tedious even with plenty of research.

Blog Entries
    BTW, yeah, a manual transmissions is becoming a tough choice for me with the PsA, CTS, etc. I occasionally work up the courage to drive the TA, then I pay for it afterwards with pain, numbness, inflammation, and other effects.

About the Soarer, the Z20 generation was essentially the predecessor to the Lexus SC. It was Toyota's grand touring coupe at the time.

https://www.google.com/search?q=toyo...r+z20&tbm=isch

The 1G-GTE was used in the Soarer, Supra, and few other models. It is probably good for 250-300HP with the stock CT-12 turbos and a few supporting mods. Higher performance builds usually migrate to a single-turbo setup.

Blog Entries
    The 2015 Honda Civic Type R is apparently going turbo. About time. Not that I am interested in it, but wonder if Honda USA will even bother trying to bring it to the states?

Blog Entries

I got a cheap 7$ bluetooth OBDII adapter to play with. Works pretty good for being a chinese knockoff.
    ShyguyXPC likes this.
    One by one the penguins steal my sanity.

TechIMO Folding@home Team #111 - Crunching for the cure!

My cat converters get up to almost 1700 degrees under WOT

First 0-60 run took 7.1 seconds with no power braking, which isn't bad since with me plus the stuff in my car, my Camry is sitting at roughly 3850 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by MegalosSkylaki View Post
    I have as per above and the lesson drawn is the best conversions are the ones you do yourself.
    With a quarter of a milion plus to spend, I don't understand why people can't find a car to please them and need to take chances on handing one over to a converter.

In Manhattan it doesn't matter what you drive 'cause the southern half of the boro is one big gridlock. I wonder where in America anyone plans to drive 100-200 MPH ? I see these Diablos etc in CA and all they do is sit on curbs.
    People in big cities don't know what the open road is.

Drive that Diablo from SLC to Reno & you can probably wind it up all the way. The damn road is almost an extension of the salt flats.

...but then we don't let Doogs drive out here at all, so your chauffeur would be pushing the go pedal.
    Beware the Penguinator!

Quote Originally Posted by Bizkitkid2001 View Post
    My cat converters get up to almost 1700 degrees under WOT
    Of course WOT means Wast of Time. Or Worst of Times. Maybe Wall of Text? Well Okay Then, sorry to bring the thread Way Off Topic.

WOT=WFO=do not pass go...
    Beware the Penguinator!

Now I Wanna Find Out what WFO means.

Wide Open Throttle = Wide Fucking Open. IE, Pedal to the metal, Givin' her all she's got captain, Floor it, Use the go pedal to make her scream, etc...

Oops, I forgot my sarcasm emoticon again.

Nail it, kick it, full steam ahead, light 'em up, bury the go pedal, accelerate like a Toyota (hehe), flat out, all out, maximum POWA! (In the voice of Jeremy Clarkson), full tilt, punch it, Make my pants tingle (in the voice of James May), EEEEEEEIIIIIIIIIAAAAAAAAA!!!!! (In the voice of Richard Hammond), Zenkai!

Lots of ways to say WOT, lol.

PC Upgrade Procrastinator ShyguyXPC's Avatar
    Speaking of WOT, last week while driving the Astra, I finally realized the pedal goes even further to the floor than I thought.

still doesn't have THAT much power, but what I thought was 100%, was actually only about 80 or 90 LOL.

Seems the pedal goes down most of the way, and the last 10-15% I guess, its really stiff, really have to push it to use it.

I was trying to pass someone one day, and the thing was struggling to get up to speed (what I needed to pass), and instinctively hitting the pedal harder, I pushed the pedal to the floor to the usual position, but then the pedal went even further than it had before, with a little more effort, and suddenly the car roared to life, RPM's jumped, and nearly red lined, and I was like DAMN, I think I found a whole new realm of fun in this thing, at least once the coil pack is replaced and misfires no more.
    i7 940//Corsair H60//EVGA X58 SLI LE//6GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz//2x EVGA GTX 560 Ti FPB SLI//NZXT Hale82 850W//CM 690 II Advanced//Win7 64//WD 74GB V-raptor, 750GB Black, 1.5TB Green

PC Upgrade Procrastinator ShyguyXPC's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bizkitkid2001 View Post
    I got a cheap 7$ bluetooth OBDII adapter to play with. Works pretty good for being a chinese knockoff.
    You using Android, iPhone, or Windows Phone?

On Android, if thats what your using, check out Torque Pro, well worth it, IMO.
    i7 940//Corsair H60//EVGA X58 SLI LE//6GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz//2x EVGA GTX 560 Ti FPB SLI//NZXT Hale82 850W//CM 690 II Advanced//Win7 64//WD 74GB V-raptor, 750GB Black, 1.5TB Green

Android and yes I am using Torque Pro.
    ShyguyXPC likes this.

I am wondering if the whine is possibly your fuel pump, Shy? Probably not, but something like that is a possibility.
    And Torque is great.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What is the color of the sky?

Thread Information