+ Reply to Thread
Page 511 of 511 FirstFirst ... 11 411 461 501 507 508 509 510 511
Results 10,201 to 10,214 of 10214
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Car Talk!

Blog Entries
    Was looking at a 97 Taurus wagon with 113K on it, but it appears to have sold already. ~_~

PC Upgrade Procrastinator ShyguyXPC's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by paul9 View Post
    I am wondering if the whine is possibly your fuel pump, Shy? Probably not, but something like that is a possibility.
    And Torque is great.
    No, not the pump, it wouldn't be all the time, the whine/howl changes with airflow or wind over the car.

take for example driving into work Saturday morning, was an hour late (damn alarm never went off, found out the volume on my radio was all the way down some how, which is odd, you can't change the volume with the dial unless it was on, which it isn't, its always set to go off, but only when its on and sound coming out of radio can you adjust the volume, but then again, I noticed the radio's volume when in alarm clock mode, and going off is always lower than regular radio mode too), anyways, left the house in time (was supposed to be there by 8, but now I was to be there by 9).

I left the house, I thought on time, but as I got out on the road, realized it was about 8:40AM... so, 10 minutes later on top of the already hour late.

got through the first two towns, and on a LONG open stretch of the highway, already had the annoying howl/whistle going on, doing anywhere from 55-65 (speed limit is 55).

So with an open road, NO oncoming cars for several miles, and I can see the outline of a Semi about 2-3 miles ahead of me down the road... I figured what the hell...

So for about 2+ miles I was doing 90+, and then upon a stretch of road where there was a small rise, unable to see over the crest, there was an oncoming vehicle, so a good mile away or more, I started to decelerate (coast back down to 65), was just a local red neck and their pick up, but still coming to the rise, and slowing down was a good idea anyways, as no telling if a cop was over the other side or not, and it coincides with a semi major intersection, so no telling if a cop is rolling down the side roads in either direction, so don't really want to blast through at 20-30 over the limit either LOL.

Anyways, once the car got to 80, the howling and whistling stopped and was dead quiet except for road noise, tires and exhaust sound, as soon as I slowed back to 65 or so, then the sound started again.

Drive by a grove of trees or some other wind break some days and it goes away, back out in open, it howls again.

So it has to be some sort of air flow somewhere over the car causing it.

Another anomaly I get, usually when the rear windows are open, is a very fast, rapid and ear blowing bass like buffeting sound, its like a sub woofer effect, and a high rate of speed, sometimes, with the just the right crosswind or wind direction, roll up the windows, and roll down the front ones, no problems, roll them back up, and the rear down to a certain point and OH WOW, feels like your head wants to explode.

I've never experienced either of these anomalies in any car I've driven in the past.

Even at 30 in town, with the windows down in the rear sometimes (usually roll those down, so I can still hear the stereo in the car, and reduce the wind buffeting noise on front windows while driving), you get that mind blowing rapid bass like effect. Come to complete stop, or a mere 10MPH or so, and its not as bad, accelerate and it comes back (mind you this doesn't happen all the time).

Its just odd, at first I thought it was in conjunction with the engine misfires, accelerating and something to do with exhaust/pressure, but even after having that effect at highway speeds sometimes, and its ONLY the rear windows when those are down, pretty sure its some sort of cabin pressure/airflow/wind related issue or something.

can even happen when all 4 windows are down, but its less prominent with the front windows down, but still there.

Other than that, its not too bad.

I joked the other day on FB, that this is Sort of what I did in the Walmart Parking lot a few weeks back... well, sort of (tire squealing and all, LOL), at least in quick accelerating 180 degree U turn to dart back up a lane to take a spot I found before someone stole yet another from me.

Same car, same model/year, same color, looks like he may have the optional 17" rims on it, mine has the 16" stock ones, 5 point star pattern, but its a double bar pattern,

2008 Saturn Astra 16x65-aluminum-alloy-5x110mm-bolt-pattern-wheel-rim-7058

though no idea if this is auto or manual, mines auto.

In any case, I finally ordered the Coil Pack from AM-Autoparts.com $50 for it, hopefully its not a chintzy OEM replacement part, even though it has a 10 year warranty.

Should be delivered hopefully by end of week, if not, then first part of next week.

Cam Shaft Sensor replaced, all new plugs replaced, first Oil Change done last week, so ALL new oil in the car, along with new filter. Replaced Air Filter a month or so ago.

Hopefully this week the Coil Pack replaced, and get rid of the engine misfire.

Then see if the O2 Sensor Heater error goes away or not? And according to my mechanics worries, hopefully I haven't done too much damage to the Catalytic converter driving around for as long as I have with the misfire issues.

I know I have to also soon get all new Exhaust hangers replaced, I think there's a total of 6 in all, along the underside, the original factory ones are jelly soft, and lets the exhaust bang around way too much under the car, especially on the roads this year, due to all the half assed patch work they've done locally.

hopefully next paycheck I'll also get the first car wash on it, lately, not sure what it is, but it looks like someone sprayed with a fine mist, pop or some other sticky stuff all over the car.

Parents said it could of been the town spraying for mosquitos late at night, up and down the streets, but its like dirty water droplets after a rain, but its sticky, so a lot of fine dirt sticks to it.

Its not sap, or actual pop, its just odd.

So, really need to take it in and get a good washing on the car, too lazy to do it all by hand myself, LOL.

even with the engine misfire, the past couple weeks I did manage to hit 27, 28 and even 29MPG on various days, with just the right outside ambient temps, and wind speeds, as well, as mostly "calm" 55-60MPH speeds, little to no "revving" of engine, or having to pass cars on highway.

So, when you factor in the cars supposed to have a max official rating of 33MPG, and I regularly see 24-26MPG, as it currently is, makes one wonder sometimes why even get it fixed. But I want to see those 30+ ratings MUCH MORE Often.

plus the extra torque and pulling power when I have extra passengers and goods in the car to haul around, not to mention if I run the air conditioner, not see a hit in performance much there either.
    i7 940//Corsair H60//EVGA X58 SLI LE//6GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz//2x EVGA GTX 560 Ti FPB SLI//NZXT Hale82 850W//CM 690 II Advanced//Win7 64//WD 74GB V-raptor, 750GB Black, 1.5TB Green

TechIMO Folding@home Team #111 - Crunching for the cure!

Same colour as mine, but different wheels. The beating on your ears with windows open and driving at speed is something that I experience in most cars.
    ShyguyXPC likes this.

All We Are Asking Networker4321's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Whir View Post
    Was looking at a 97 Taurus wagon with 113K on it, but it appears to have sold already. ~_~
    Good low mileage for a 97, probably went quick!
    "A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way" - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by paul9 View Post
    Same colour as mine, but different wheels. The beating on your ears with windows open and driving at speed is something that I experience in most cars.
    never had that happen before for me, granted most of my cars have been two doors, but the few 4 doors, never had that happen, there has always been a small amount of wind buffeting from rear ones, but never as bad as that, that its like sub woofers on your head.
    i7 940//Corsair H60//EVGA X58 SLI LE//6GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz//2x EVGA GTX 560 Ti FPB SLI//NZXT Hale82 850W//CM 690 II Advanced//Win7 64//WD 74GB V-raptor, 750GB Black, 1.5TB Green

Thoughts on loss of acceleration at times?

Say extended 20 miles of driving at 65, get into town, a dozen stop and go 4 way intersections, at 30, and at some point the car decides to take forever to accelerate as if stuck in 1st gear, but is in 2nd or 3? (shows on display on dash what gear its in). Or almost like its running on 1 or 2 cylinders?

no high revs or anything, just seems to stall/hang and take forever (for a 30 zone), to get up to speed.

Wondering if extended higher speeds heat something up and cause the issue, since I have the O2 sensor issue, and mechanics worried about the Cat being run with engine for last couple months in the condition it has been (Cam Sensor, Coil pack, misfire, etc).

If either the O2 or Cat could be causing some sort of issue like this?

It doesn't happen often, usually when high speeds or lots of accelerating in passing on highway at regular highway speeds.

Sometimes when I have to pass a lot of slow pokes on the road, get into town where speeds are at 30, I might have the problem.

Yesterday it happened again, but I took one of the back roads (rural state highway, that just had 40 miles of new pavement finished a month ago), to avoid a 2 mile long stretch of directed traffic with road construction on my usual route, darted down the county road through the town I grew up in, 2.5 miles down to the state highway, did a steady 70-75MPH with 2 other cars ahead of me, even around a nice S turn, which fastest I'd ever gone around that thing was 55-65 in past, was able to go in at 75, slow to 70 and maintain it, as you could really feel the G's while trying to stay in your own lane, surprised as all hell the full size pickup and Minivan ahead of me managed to hold 70 through it too.

Get out to the highway, and the Minivan decided to now do 60 instead, me and the truck passed them by, but after he passed them he decided to do 60-65 as well, the minivan slowed to 55 ish.

I figured screw it, I passed the minivan, caught up to truck, and waited for a motorcyclist to go by, leaped around the truck, and then continued to accelerate, 60... 70... 80... 90, before long I realized the truck was WAY back in my rear view, and every so often I let off gas down to 80, was about a mile before coming into town that I let off and coasted down to 65, before having to stop at an intersection, zig zagged my way into town, as the crossing for the highway into town across the RR tracks, was under construction, so had to detour another route.

I ended up driving back to the main highway, and following that into town... big mistake, the whole line of cars I had to wait in the yield lane were from the construction 6 miles out of town. speed limit into town is 55, then 45, then 30... I'm used to many idiots doing 45 in the 55 zone, then 40-45 in the 45 zone, then 40-45 in the 30 zone up over the bridge, then slam on their brakes as the crest the bridge to 30 or less.

but this was a hell of a line of cars, and figured it'd be a cluster in town. So I darted back up the state highway (it merges with the other one in town before the bridge), and took one of the side streets across the tracks into town, in the 30 zones, its one of the main avenues through town with few stop intersections.

Anyways, after zig zagging through town, by the time I was with in a half mile of work, at intersections it was like the car was just exhausted and didn't want to accelerate much.

If anyone remembers gym class in school, and you had to run laps around the gym or the track outside, kids, like myself, would run, sprint right away, and then usually the last to come in, because we were walking the last half, after being too exhausted to run the whole time, never paced our selves?

Something like that anyways?

Driving home later that day (last night), and the car was acting normal, which makes me wonder if it just gets too hot, or a part gets too warm/hot from the stop and go, hard acceleration, or constant maintained speed (like 80-90MPH for 5 miles non stop), then a ton of stop and go traffic?

Yes, I know, I need to slow down sometimes, I also need to get around to reconnecting my Radar Detector, especially after today once the Coil pack is delivered, and hopefully get a chance to install it in the car later today.

But even with out the excessive speed, lots of passing traffic on highway, and stop and go traffic in town, still causes the same issue?

Coil pack came today, just replaced it an hour ago, took maybe 20 minutes, had to dig out the right star socket piece, and took longer because the OEM replacement, the 6 prongs on the end for the wire connector weren't tapered like the factory part, so took more of a struggle to connect it and secure it.

Once that was done, started the car, and immediately from the idle exhaust tone, and lack of vibration (well still vibrates a little, but its not noticeable like before), and knew it was running better.

Took it for a run down the road, 5 mile round trip, and much more responsive acceleration, smoother acceleration, no vibration from misfire while waiting at intersections, no rough operation while backing out of drive way. Had reset engine errors, and it never came on again the whole 5 mile stretch, I even got it running smooth in Overdrive at highway speed.

Came back into town, and waited at intersection to cross highway and pull into driveway, after cars went by, I hit the gas as I usually do, and DAMN the thing launched across the intersection quick, was unexpected. So, now just need to see how it does in the fuel economy aspect in the coming week or two.

Next string of repairs, exhaust system hangers, and maybe see if we can figure out where the oil leak is, as its burning oil every now and then, and some is on the inside of the engine, but not dripping on ground, thinking probably a seal somewhere.

Hoping O2 sensor and Cat are ok from this point on.
    RobRich likes this.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Whir View Post
    Sold my 1997 Sable wagon to a family member, so I was able to somewhat keep track of it. Think it had like a quarter-million miles when it was finally junked, and AFAIK, it was still running good. Naturally, it had the Vulcan OHC engine. It seems the Vulcans possible fair better for reliability than the Duratecs, at least for the third-generation models.
    Robert Richmond | Infinite perceptions. One reality.
    TechIMO.com Community Director

Blog Entries
    Glad to hear the new coil pack worked.
    ShyguyXPC likes this.

Blog Entries
    Talked myself out of a Soarer. I even found a rare Aerocabin model for sale. I already have a Trans Am collecting dust in the garage. It is not like I really need another vehicle to rarely, if ever drive.

Blog Entries
    BTW, with that said, I was looking close at a dealer ad for a Ferrari 456M GTA earlier tonight. It is hardly practical, but it is at least an automatic. Some Ferrari owners would scoff at the idea of an auto transmission, but whatever, the 456M is a touring car anyway.

Suppose I actually should sell my Trans Am before even thinking about something else, less long a relatively modern Ferrari, Maserati, or similar.

I always like the 456M GTA, but yeah have read a lot of complaints from some ferrari fans about the auto as well, but that was also the reason for the GT and GTA models... if you don't like the Auto idea buy the damn GT model and shut up, LOL, some wouldn't mind having an auto to cruise around in, since the car was more of a luxury performance model rather than the more performance oriented mid engine stablemates, but it was also the "Family" Car Ferrari of the line up back then, until they came out with the more recent 4 door models in recent years/decade (Skanky Spaghetti or how ever its pronounced ).

The other gripe "purists" had was that it was front mount engine as well. Since it wasn't one of the evolution of mid mount 308 GTS, or of the Testarossa Lineage.

I actually like the 550 Maranello as well, since its more or less a 2 seat variant or evolution of the front mount 456 lineage/design anyways.

Blog Entries
    Therein is a common disconnect with Ferrari enthusiasts in the United States versus Europe. The front-engine grand touring models are quite popular in western Europe, versus we generally want the mid-engine supercars over here. That is part of the reason some 2+2 models like the 400a/i are grey market cars over here.
    ShyguyXPC likes this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What is the color of the sky?

Thread Information