+ Reply to Thread
Page 513 of 513 FirstFirst ... 13 413 463 503 509 510 511 512 513
Results 10,241 to 10,249 of 10249
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Car Talk!

Living the dream The Real Bingo's Avatar
    The new Z06 goes beast-mode...

2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 Performance: 10-Second Super Star

Insane. Thatís all we can say about the performance numbers of the new Corvette Z06. Chevrolet announced today that the 8-speed automatic-equipped Z06 will run 0-60 in under 3-seconds and the quarter-mile in under 11óin bone-stock, as delivered trim.

The Z06 jets to 60 mph in 2.95 seconds with the auto and 3.2 with the 7-speed manual. The 8-speed car covers the quarter in 10.95 at 127, while the stick car gets it done at 11.2 at the same mph. All times were achieved with the optional Z07 upgrade package, which includes adds Brembo carbon ceramic brake rotors and Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 tires. The Z07 package also features the most aggressive aerodynamic package available on the Corvette Z06, which delivers the most downforce of any production car GM has ever tested.

Blog Entries
    Crazy local new car dealerships are cray cray.

Now I remember why I rarely even bother with local car lots. A new Z28 sells for about $75k plus fees. A local dealer has an used Z28 for over $76k. Yes, I already well know it is a limited production vehicle with a waiting list for new ones, but still, I would have little interest in driving an used one for basically the same price as a brand new one. BTW, just using it as an example, as I am not paying $75k for pretty much any current GM model, but anyway.

Another example. I recently got cornered at a Honda dealership while filling a few minutes before an appointment at a nearby office. Yeah, Honda of all places for me. Had a salesperson wanting me to look at a Honda Pilot. Yeah, just what I would want, right? Especially since I was simply driving through after spotting a nice Ford Expedition on the lot, which I never actually got to view or even was told the price, but whatever. Admittedly, I was not buying the Expedition, either. Whatever.

Now back to the Honda. I am not even remotely interested, but again, I am just filling a few minutes while waiting anyway. Now to be more exact, IIRC, it was an used 2010 or 2011 Honda Pilot. An used Honda Pilot with probably plenty of miles, wear, tear, etc. for an estimated $27k - plus likely a bunch of insane dealer fees*. Outside of the touring model, the 2010-2011 Pilot invoiced for like $25k to $30k brand new. o.0

*AFAIK, one local dealer now wants a nearly $1k dealer fee. When the mainstream dealers start wanting higher fees than some of the high-end import luxury and exotic lots, seems it should be a tip there is a something wrong with the situation.

Interesting part is when the local dealerships wonder why the lots in Tampa and Orlando are seemingly doing better, while the locals are.... well, doing whatever it is they are doing. The salesperson at Honda had sold 3.5 cars in the past month, and that was apparently the general trend for most of the others there, too. It was not the salesperson's fault, either. If the management would competitively price with the dealerships 30-45 minutes away, they probably could be selling more cars.

Still not as bad as the Nismo 370z experience I had as the local Nissan dealership a couple or so years ago. It was like a 2009 or 2010 model, along with being out of warranty. Already knew the sticker price, but I figured it might be worth a try considering it likely would be a slow mover - lots of lookers, but few buyers types of situation IMO. Went right to the point and sent the salesperson to the sales manager about the cash price to drive it home. Salesperson comes back with very little difference.... to the point I could walk inside the dealership and buy a BRAND NEW one with a full factory warranty for like $3k more dollars. Yeah, good luck with that. Not sure if the local lot ever sold it. Might have ended up on the back lot or maybe an auction.

Seemingly "best" new car dealership experience in recent years? The Toyota lot in St. Augustine back when it was under the previous ownership. That is where I bought the old Maserati TC that collected dust in my garage for a couple of years. Someone apparently took it on trade. It garnered some interest (likely due to the branding), but AFAIK, the lot had about zero interaction with anyone actually willing to buy it. The sales manager started off at some insipid amount like ~$6k (or more?) after a litany of dealer fees. Told them to check eBay, then send it to an auto auction to sell for like $1k to $1.5k if they were lucky. I drove it off the lot for around $2200 including fees, registration, etc. Factor out the various fees, and it sold for like $1200 on the above line invoice. I suspect they did not lose much, if any money on the deal, though. Still doubt they would want to see me again, or another old Maserati TC for that matter.

Also going to give a positive nod two of the the local Chevy dealerships.

The first lot was a pricing mistake situation on the Maxx I had, so I am not sure how "positive" it was for their staff. The salesperson already agreed to the price, as it was the price on the Internet listing. No big deal, right? The paper work finally got to the sales manager, and he quickly realized someone accidentally put the wholesale trade price on the Internet listing. The salesperson told him that he had already explicitly agreed to the deal at the listed price, so there was not much they could do. The sales manager was visibly and verbally mad, but he signed off on the sale. I hope he did not take it out on an unsuspecting Internet employee, as frankly, the lot still should have turned a net profit on the deal IMO - well, assuming the person doing trades hugely devalued it as usually expected.

The second is where I bought the Trans Am. I was going there to buy a Corvette, but it had just sold. They also had just gotten the TA. I was quoted a certain price. I said another; out the door with all fees included. The sales manger was like "okay." Wrote a check, signed a few papers, and I was driving off the lot.
    Robert Richmond | Infinite perceptions. One reality.
    TechIMO.com Community Director

Blog Entries
    BTW, anyone producing an aftermarket "Z28"-style body kit for the stock Camaro, yet? Given most people's knowledge of cars, one could mod the base V6 model and likely still garner lots of attention.

The LFX is a high-revving engine, thus a little low on torque off the line IMO, but it is still pushing 323HP at the crank. The last of the fourth-gen LS1 SS models were "officially" rated at 325HP. :shrug:

The LFX V6 is probably peaking slightly bettter crank HP numbers than even my fourth-gen LT1 V8 with intake, headers, exhaust, etc. The torque numbers should be vastly different, but anyway, how many average consumers actually look beyond the basic HP numbers? Another largely :shrug: situation IMO.

For the numbers obsessed people, bolt a IFP Vortec S/C on the LFX for 435HP. Around $6100 for the complete S/C kit, which includes 240+ pieces. Lots of parts there, but AFAIK, it mostly plug-and-play with the LFX install.

Still not enough? Start tearing into the fueling system, then get to tuning. AFAIK, the Vortech S/C in the IFP kit is supposedly good to like 700+ HP. Not sure about the intercooler, but that should be a quick fix. Now as for the pistons, rods, crank, etc... err, YMMV - seriously.

That is a reason why a lot of dealerships in SA have fixed prices with no negotiating. They seem to be very popular as it is a very quick and easy transaction (I purchased my RX8 from one of these dealerships). The prices are fair, so you aren't getting ripped off (The dealership I purchased my RX8 from used KBB dealership values, and would even bring up the KBB site to show you that the price on the car is the same as what KBB has it valued at for dealership resale).

The downside is that you can't negotiate a better deal when it comes to the price of the car. However, there is ALWAYS something to negotiate. Free oil changes, free car washes, or other services the dealership offers. You can also negotiate add-ons, like floor mats and stuff.

The RX8 does not come with a spare tire to save weight, instead it has a proprietary tire repair kit made specifically for the RX8 that can fix a flat tire without ruining the TPMS sensor. The previous owner had taken it out of the RX8 when they traded it in, so I told the dealership that they either buy me a new one from Mazda (IIRC, it was around $300 for the kit) or get the old kit back from the previous owner. Selling me the car without the kit is like selling me a car without a spare tire. (Mazda also sold a much cheaper mount to install in the trunk that you could put a donut spare on, but I did not tell the dealership that as I did not want them to purchase that instead of the repair kit).

I purchased my Camry at a traditional dealership where you can haggled prices. I got a much better deal ($8K under msrp before trade-in or money down), but it took forever to buy the car. I was at the dealership for several hours negotiating, and was ready to punch the sales manager by the time I signed the paperwork.
    One by one the penguins steal my sanity.

TechIMO Folding@home Team #111 - Crunching for the cure!

Blog Entries
    Saturn was one of the first mainstream domestic brands to do fixed pricing. I am thinking Scion does (did?) fixed pricing, too.... or maybe that was back when they thought lots of customers would customize and order them online.

Years ago I used to would more seriously negotiate, as it was part of the "process." These days I am getting more of a "take it or leave it" offer kind of person. I actually was walking on a car deal over $50 a few years ago. The sales manager wasted far more than $50 worth of my time trying to negotiate to seemingly the last dollar possible on the sales contract. I hate to be "that person" for the salespeople when it comes to successfully closing deals, but I did not decide for them to be working at a car dealership, either.

I do know several of the small and even some of the mid-size used dealerships closer to the big cities here have eliminated commissions. They are now paying hourly, salary, etc. Probably still a quota, but nonetheless, it can make a huge difference in the consumer experience, especially compared to when numerous commissioned salespeople are standing around a single dealer lot searching and fighting for customers so a few of them (hopefully) can take home (potentially) liveable paychecks.

Blog Entries
    I know people in the new and used car businesses, including dealership owners, but sadly they are not located in Florida.

While on the topic, also a shout out to the tiny Porsche dealership in Ocala, FL. They are currently building a larger one, but anyway....

It was really late, and most of the employees apparently had been doing some remote location sales event. Same owner(s) for three physically neighboring import dealerships, so I stumbled upon a BMW lot employee. Told him I was looking for a certain 996, then basically had to indicate a 996 was a type of Porsche 911 model.

No big deal, as the BMW guy was apparently not selling Porsches anyway, or at least he was rather hesitant about attempting it. He went to find a manager. Again, it was really late. The Porsche dealership was a proverbial ghost town, but with an unlocked showroom door.

I ended up with a manager over all the neighboring lots, IIRC. He spent time apologizing for the staffing issue at Porsche despite the late hour and offsite event, plus he was actually interested in knowing about why I was looking at a Porsche - even if it was an used one.

He quickly knew the car, a Carrera 4 (might have been a 4S - long ago) hardtop with an automatic trans. Reason he knew it? The car had sold at the sales event. :sigh: Being near (past?) closing at a small import dealership full of new Porsches well beyond what I was planning to spend, I was expecting the usual brush off upon the used car being sold, as it was clear I was not buying any of the new 997s on the lot. Nonetheless, he still was friendly and kept effectively communicating about the Porsche brand, regardless of what I was intending to spend. He let me know about another 996 that he expected to soon arrive for sale, gave me his card, and told me to personally contact him for information.

Even better, we did all the communication casually instead of him trying to drag me to a desk or conference table to push a corporate sales brochure and dealer sales agreement in my face. He had lots of great cars for a similar price, especially over on the BMW and VW lots, but he understood that I was looking for one specific type of vehicle. He did not attempt tossing me to the general sales staff for a hard sell on another type of car. I know that is a simple and perhaps even under-appreciated communications thing, but hey, at least he was not trying to steer me towards an used, overpriced Honda Pilot.

All said, I got better customer treatment on a prospective used Porsche deal, near closing time at a then understaffed (essentially non-staffed?) new car dealership than some lots where I have actually purchased cars.

BTW, sadly, the other 996 he referenced was a convertible. I was not even entirely sold on the idea of daily driving a Porsche 911, but if so, I was wanting a hardtop with AWD and an automatic at the time.

PC Upgrade Procrastinator ShyguyXPC's Avatar
    Just saw this on FB, shared it, thought it was kind of "interesting"...

LOL, pretty sure my reaction would be about the same as the driver filming, even doing 75 ish on some of the roads around here (Speed limit at 65, so every one ends up doing 10 over at least maybe eek on up to near 80 at times every now and then).

200 MPH FLY ‚Äď CORVETTE ZR1 Passing this car at 200 MPH! ‚Äď Enjoy the View! | NO Car NO Fun! Muscle Cars and Power Cars!
    i7 940//Corsair H60//EVGA X58 SLI LE//6GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz//2x EVGA GTX 560 Ti FPB SLI//NZXT Hale82 850W//CM 690 II Advanced//Win7 64//WD 74GB V-raptor, 750GB Black, 1.5TB Green

That is pretty scary. While the Corvette was on an unrestricted section of the Autobahn, they can still be charged with reckless driving for passing slower traffic at that speed (you're suppose to slow down when passing traffic, but how they determine what is considered "slowing down" is beyond me).

Luckily that person was going so fast you couldn't read their plates. Also lucky the Corvette driver did not end up like Jessi Lang when she pulled a similar stunt while filming a segment on a tuned ABT R8 for Motortrend last year. She was not on the Autobahn, but a regular highway, however the section of highway she had the crash on was un-restricted with no speed limit, only an "advised" limit. She survived and has spent a year bedridden followed by physical rehab. The driver of the other car she hit survived, as did Jessi's passenger. She claims it was not her fault as the guy should have checked his mirrors before changing lanes, but she most likely ended up being charged as she should have slowed down when approaching traffic (no information about any charges have been made public). At the speed she was traveling, checking your mirrors would have done little as the R8 would have appeared to be a great distance back when the other car changed lanes, but was at a closing speed so high that the great distance only took seconds to traverse.
    ShyguyXPC likes this.
    One by one the penguins steal my sanity.

Quote Originally Posted by howste View Post
    The passenger-side brake lights are out on my 2004 Prius. Most of the lights in the assembly are just bulbs, but it looks like this part is LEDs. Does anybody know how to fix them? I doubt it's the LEDs that have gone bad because they're all out. Does anybody know how to fix this?
    I guess it's finally time to fix this. I ordered a new tail light assembly today so the car will pass its safety inspection.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What is 10 and 5 added together?

Thread Information