+ Reply to Thread
    Blog Entries

what to do with my old wood, metal, and junk

i've been cleaning out the barn at my dad's estate and there's so much crap in there. so i have a few questions.

wood: there are tons of planks of old wood, old mantles, different types of wood i am sure, different lengths. is there any market for old wood? do people make stuff out of it? better to scrap it?

metal: there are tons of nuts& bolts, pipes, siding, barbed wire, etc. most of the nuts and bolts are rusty. oh, and there is a 30 foot slide too, all rusted. do recycling centers take rusted stuff? will i have to separate the types of metals?

junk: what's the best way to find a dumping place? got a dump truck full of paper, broken junk, useless junk, etc.
    Music (4/15/08) - Video (4/15/08) - blog - Legend of Six RPG

Ultimate Member Friedchicken100's Avatar
    the wood you should grind down into sawdust. Makes great mulch.
    My other car is a T-34.

I would (wood?) check with people who make cabinets and stuff about the old wood.
    Some of it might make some neat furniture, and if there was enough of it, work a trade with them. like "I will give you the whole lot of it in exchange for a chair or chest made from part of it"
    Never know, it might be something really expensive...

My oldest brother made a rocking chair out of maple and black walnut, and the materials alone cost about 500 bucks.

Does it seem heavier than normal? If it is, it might be some kind of hardwood and worth something.

Where's Knothead???

People that make furniture will definitely buy that old wood if it's in big enough pieces and it's hardwood.

The metal can go for scrap, but you might have to haul it yourself.

Ultimate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sixf00t4
    i've been cleaning out the barn at my dad's estate and there's so much crap in there. so i have a few questions.

wood: there are tons of planks of old wood, old mantles, different types of wood i am sure, different lengths. is there any market for old wood? do people make stuff out of it? better to scrap it?

metal: there are tons of nuts& bolts, pipes, siding, barbed wire, etc. most of the nuts and bolts are rusty. oh, and there is a 30 foot slide too, all rusted. do recycling centers take rusted stuff? will i have to separate the types of metals?

junk: what's the best way to find a dumping place? got a dump truck full of paper, broken junk, useless junk, etc.
    There are places that recycle old mantles and other household fixtures. Dollar
    value to you is hard to say. Old wood planks can be recycled into flooring if it's
    not rotten. From your disscription most every thing could be recycled if you're
    willing to separate the stuff. Don't just dump it in a landfill.

Some assembly required Knothead's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sixf00t4
    WOOD? Somebody say OLD WOOD?

OH YEAH, it's valuable, especially if it's good hardwood such as Walnut, Maple, Oak, Cherry, Mahogany (droooool)...AND if it was stored properly. I'd guess around $6 to $12 per board foot. *

As wood gets older, it just gets better. If it's straight and has no rot, even soft stuff like Pine and Douglas Fir is worth money (I'd guess $3 per board foot).

*Board foot=12" x 12" x 1'' thick. A piece 6" wide x 24" long would be a board foot.

Yes it can be very valuable. as Knot said. Any photos? Also I think builders in your area would buy the mantles and set/designed pieces.

That being said, BE CAREFUL working around rusted metal, and make sure you have had your tetanus shot! If there hasnt been a lot of activity in the building be careful of spiders-just brush them outside, they do a good service to humanity by eating non-benificial insects.

If they have it in your area renting a dumpster for a few weeks/month may be your best/cheapest bet for getting rid of the other trash.
    They say technology slows down for no one. I know it outruns my wallet. I figure its because my wallet isn't light enough yet.

TechIMO Folding@home Team #111 - Crunching for the cure!
    dulce bellum inexpertis

Some assembly required Knothead's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by no1_vern
    That being said, BE CAREFUL working around rusted metal, and make sure you have had your tetanus shot!

If there hasnt been a lot of activity in the building be careful of spiders-just brush them outside, they do a good service to humanity by eating non-benificial insects.
    OOH! Good calls there, Vern!

Blog Entries
    i will be sure to take some pictures when i am back there next, probably in another 2 weeks. would you mind taking looks at them to see what you guys think?

and yeah, lots of spiders. just little buggers though. and we are all wearing our heavy work gloves.

and as far as the dumpster, we're using my dad's dump truck, big old beast. i'll take pictures of it too, too bad i can't capture some audio of it! WOW!
    Music (4/15/08) - Video (4/15/08) - blog - Legend of Six RPG

Blog Entries
    To go along with Knot's previous posts, the boards could be worth some good money. Wood does indeed get better with age if it hasn't succumbed to the elements. It becomes harder, and Old growth wood is always in high demand, because there is no more of it around ( other than stuff that can't be cut down ).

Metal recyclers should take a lot of the metal, and if you seperate it, they'll be even more happy with you. Just give one of the locals a call. Heck, you may find some artsy fartsy guy with a welding torch that will just take it all off your hands for free.

Junk = Dumpster.
    this post contains small bits of intelligence culminating to the appearance of wisdom.

http://www.shareaproject.com/pages/p...,p,346,00.html

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What is 10 and 5 added together?

Thread Information