+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    Blog Entries
    Constitution? Apparently New Jersey doesn't need any such thing!

Quote Originally Posted by pphalan
    I be confused.... how come the states that has the least restrictions on guns have the least gun violence. While those areas of the country with the strictists guns laws have the greatest amount of gun violence. Color me goofy but something is really wrong here when you think a law abiding citizen is someone you cannnot trust with a gun, and you think you can trust a criminal to be impressed with an extra law.
    How do you define a normal law abiding citizen? Thomas Hamilton was a something of loner and displayed some odd behaviour but he would have passed a law abiding citizen. He was resonable for the Dunblane Massacre in 1996

http://century.guardian.co.uk/1990-1...112749,00.html

Personally I would never like to read comments like this again:

A governor at the school, Gerry McDermott, said he had comforted a distressed teacher, Stuart McCombie, who had rushed to the gymnasium after the shooting. "Stuart told me they were looking up at him with their wee eyes, slowly changing colour as the blood drained from their faces and they died in his arms. He said the room was just awash with blood."

I was trained by the RAF to use a rifle but I don't feel the need for one in civvy street.

Just my 2 pence worth I'm not from th US and for the most part there is very diffrent attiude towards guns in the UK.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky758
    Just my 2 pence worth I'm not from th US and for the most part there is very diffrent attiude towards guns in the UK.
    Our system is quite a bit different, and there's a pretty big gap between wealth and poverty. In some cities, walking just a few blocks can change from being in a crime free neighborhood to being a total hell hole (apparently Chicago is the worst for that). Americans aren't paranoid all the time about everything. I actually feel quite safe at night as long as I'm in the right part of town (there are lots of good areas, it's not like a small square in a big city or anything). The problem is the crap areas that every city has. Take a wrong turn off the freeway and you find yourself in a craphole where you don't stop for red lights, stop signs, or people sleeping on the streets; they are all great opportunities for somebody to come up and jack your car.

It's just preparation for the worst. I sure would feel a lot safer carrying a gun whenever I accidentally wind up in a crappy part of town, especially if I'm a tourist in the city.
    "I'm hung like a horse and will kill you for no reason."
    -dlpetey

Blog Entries
    you can not compare the US to GB utilizing murder rates and quantity of guns. compare the bare fisted, gun, arrow, and baseball bat murder rate in the US and each category is higher than the total number of murders in GB even when normalize for population.

Philadelphia is one of those cities ShawnD1. One minute you're in a nice part of town, the next you're in the dirtiest slum. You have to be really careful there.
    Wake up you're dead.

"The Founding Fathers had just ended several years of bloody warfare to replace a tyrannical government with one which protected the rights of the people. During the early days of the War for Independence, the citizens had fought with privately-owned guns (the battles of Lexington and Concord, for example). These battles bought the new government the time necessary to develop the armed forces necessary to achieve military victory. They were very conscious of the dangers of tyranny and the importance of an armed populace.

Throughout history tyrants and potential tyrants have feared private ownership of guns. Gun control was one of Adolf Hitlerís first programs after being elected in Germany, but before establishing a dictatorship. In 1935, on the day he signed gun control legislation into law in Germany, Adolf Hitler said, "This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future." Of course, Hitler did not admit what his real motive was for gun control.

In most countries where Communist tyrannies were established, gun control laws preceded the Communist government. When the Communists tried to establish a Communist dictatorship in Afghanistan, they ran into problems. Private gun ownership was widespread there. The Afghanistan people resisted, and the pro-Communists were forced to call for a Russian invasion force. The people fought the Russians with privately owned arms until military equipment arrived from other countries. They fought the Russian armies to a standstill. Eventually the Russians withdrew.

Gun ownership does also serve a self-defense purpose. About 75% of all uses of guns in crime-related incidents are defensive uses (about 2.4 million incidents annually) by crime victims. Without private gun ownership these citizens would be at the mercy of the most lawless element of society. Actress Kathy Najimy wrote to actor Charlton Heston and asked him, "Dear Charlton, You are a fine, fine actor, but when are you going to put down the guns and join us liberals?" His reply was clear: "When the bad buys put down their guns."

"Nations with strict gun control laws have substantially less violent crime that the United States.

In low crime countries like Switzerland, Israel, and New Zealand, guns are more readily available than they are in the United States. Taiwan and South Africa have the strictest gun control laws in the world (imposing capital punishment on those who illegally own guns), but have higher murder rates than the United States. Britain has had strict gun control laws since 1920, but violent crime is on the increase. It is true that there is less violent crime in Britain and Japan than there is in the United States, but there was less violent crime in these cultures before they had gun control, as well."

usiap

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What is 10 and 5 added together?

Thread Information