+ Reply to Thread

How do I fix our bath tub hot water valve leak?

Hey guys!

One of the first things I have to do when we move into our new place is to stop the bath tub hot water valve leak at the stem. I don't have any pics to show, but basically the water runs out where the stem/hot water knob meet when the water is turned on. I'm sure it's not difficult, but I've never ventured into plumbing territory, so I could use some good advice from you ol' pros.
    How should I go about stopping the leak?

Thanks!
    Mike the Handyman-to-be
    ~ Camp Crystal Lake counselor positions opening daily ~

moo
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Martoch
    I don't have any pics to show, but basically the water runs out where the stem/hot water knob meet when the water is turned on.
    here it is..............

Shouldn't be any harder than turning off the main water valve, popping off the cover to the knob, removing the screw that holds the assembly together and replacing the appropriate washer. You can take it to the local hardware store for a match.

Blog Entries
    Rooster beat me to it, but the valve will come out completely. You just have an o-ring that's gone south. Just make sure you shut off the water before you unscrew the thing ( specifically, you most likely will have a cover on the knob you'll need to remove to get at the screw holding the knob on, and then there will be a nut holding the stem assembly to the fixture. Bring it to your local hardware store and they'll hook you right up...
    this post contains small bits of intelligence culminating to the appearance of wisdom.

http://www.shareaproject.com/pages/p...,p,346,00.html

Blog Entries
    Btw, Hot water valves go first, but as long as you are diggin into this, you should just replace the gaskets/stems on both valves as long as you are getting messy anyway. Then you won't have to worry about it.
    this post contains small bits of intelligence culminating to the appearance of wisdom.

Thanks!

I already know the answer, but I want to quiz you...um, where do I shut the water off? I know the valves under the sink control the sink water, but what about the tub? Like I said, I'm not asking because I want to know, I want to make sure you know.

In my apartment/townhouse, there's a valve outside near the front door that shuts off the main water supply line.

There should be a shutoff located where the water enters the house. Mine is located in the basement very close to where the cold water pipe comes through the wall from the street. It might be located somewhere close to your water meter.
    If you don't volunteer don't bitch!

Ultimate Member
    Since you have children,I would suggest testing the unit you are working on and see if it is an antiscalding unit. You can test it by turning on the water and adjusting it as usual for comfortable temperature,then flush the toilet. If the water gets too hot,the unit may not be the antiscalding type.

Blog Entries
    Oh but bradoo, do you think Marcough could handle a torch and solder to put a new antiscalding in?

The whole house shut off valve is located next to the meter. Since you don't have a basement, look by your hotwater heater in the garage...that would be my best guess.

Marcough???

Thanks for your help, guys...I hadn't thought of the antiscalding test yet, so I'll be sure to do that right away.

Blog Entries
    We just make sure to take showers when no on has to use the toilet, and if they do...NO FLUSHING! Though, an antiscalding shower would be nice just for the convenience.

You can prevent scalding by simply setting the hot water tank temperature to about 115-120 degrees(F - incase you were thinking of centigrade). You will get 3 benefits out ot this, it will prevent people from getting scalded, you will lower your power bill, and you will have less leaching of piping stuff(solder from welds, or debris from degraded piping, etc...). Putting an extra hot water tank jacket on the tank wouldnt hurt either, but will cost more than just turning down the temp.
    They say technology slows down for no one. I know it outruns my wallet. I figure its because my wallet isn't light enough yet.

TechIMO Folding@home Team #111 - Crunching for the cure!
    dulce bellum inexpertis

The gas company worker set the temperature at 120F when she tested the hot water tank...the only concern I have with that is the dishwasher/washing machine not doing a good enough job without the recommended 130-140F temp. Otherwise, it can stay at 120F for all I care.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Martoch
    The gas company worker set the temperature at 120F when she tested the hot water tank...the only concern I have with that is the dishwasher/washing machine not doing a good enough job without the recommended 130-140F temp. Otherwise, it can stay at 120F for all I care.
    For the most part, the temp of the incoming water is neutral to the dishwasher, most dishwashers AFAIK heat the water internally. Now the washing machine that is another issue, if you want to wash in hot water, 120'F is just fine. If you get much hotter then that you are actually killing the enzymes in your laundry detergent. Although if you add color safe bleach the hotter the better...

Thanks for the info buddy.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What is 10 and 5 added together?

Thread Information