+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    No pants, Wearin'a Helmet MitaDC's Avatar

Water to cool down a hot pan?

Hey guys, is it bad to use water to cool down a hot pan that you just cooked in? If it is what are other alternatives to cooling it down quick besides letting it just sit (which isn't quick) .

Mita
    Dr. Cox -Newbie, Stay. Oohhh what a good boy you are, Newbie..... DEAR GOD JUDY HOW MUCH PRODUCT DO YOU USE?
    J.D -None. It's like this when I wake up

-
    Last edited by Solid Snake; June 21st, 2010 at 07:49 PM.

Run cold water over it? That way you'll exchange the water which is becoming warmer with newly cold water that can absorb more heat? It doesnt seem like you need to worry about the steel cracking or anything, but i dont know.

the only issue is that some materials might crack due to the sudden temperature change, this is especially true with some "teflon" type materials. So I start off with lukewarm water, and then change it to cold. I'm not talking about the metal itself exploding, just teflon material gets weakened.

No pants, Wearin'a Helmet MitaDC's Avatar
    alright gotcha, I know it is bad for glass (learned all about that logically and physically in Chem ) But I didn't know if it would warp the metal or anything. I would think no and I have been doing it for a while but I am moving out on my own soon and I don't want to be ruinin any pans .
    Dr. Cox -Newbie, Stay. Oohhh what a good boy you are, Newbie..... DEAR GOD JUDY HOW MUCH PRODUCT DO YOU USE?
    J.D -None. It's like this when I wake up

I wouldn't worry about it. Just use warm water then let it sit.

Heating it up and suddenly cool it down will temper the metal. Whether that's good or bad I don't know. It's probably already tempered.

\o/ Billy

Blog Entries
    Teflon and food is a rather bad idea. Despite its popularity for cookware, Teflon emits numerous toxic substances when heated. If you want such chemicals in your body, go for it, but I will have to pass.

As to cooling pans, water is more of a personal choice IMO. I oftentimes drain the pain then let it cool naturally while I eat. Works well for my purposes, and the pans do not seem any harder to clean than rinsing them while hot.

Blog Entries
    I always just pour cold water on it and enjoy the steam
    Main PC: AMD FX-9590 / 16gb DDR3 2400 / AMD R9 290X @ 1100 Core & 1350mhz Mem / Win7 Pro 64bit
    Linux Boxr: AMD FX-8120/ 4gb DDR3 1866/ Nvidia GTS450/ Ubuntu 12.04
    Laptop: HP-Compaq nc8430/ Intel CoreDuo T2400 / 2gb DDR2 667/ Ati x1600 / WinXP Pro 32bit

I let it air cool a little before dousing it. Also, if you are cooking beef, add a little water, stir it around and a little Worchestershire or pepper and make great Aue Jus... That way you won't lose any cancer causing substances!
    Over heard in a restaurant: "How do you want your eggs?" the waitress asked. "NFL Style. Beaten"!

It's metal, I don't see how it would have any ill effects.

Real gangstas sip on Yacc jkrohn's Avatar
    Be careful doing this. Depending on the quality of your pans this can warp them.

That being said if you have high quality cookware this is no different than deglazing and is perfectly safe for your cookware. (In fact deglazing with water is one of the best ways to get stubborn pans cleaned)

Jkrohn
    Signatures blow hard
    If your signature contains an ad of any kind, congratulations, you're on my ignore list.

-
    Last edited by Solid Snake; June 21st, 2010 at 07:48 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Solid Snake

A note on teflon...

Teflon burning on pan will release chemicals. I'm not sure if they're toxic to humans, but they will kill birds quickly. Don't keep both birds and teflon pans in your house.
    Your serious about it being extremely harmful to animals? We have 3 birds in the house (two amazon parrots, and one cockatiel), luckily all far from the kitchen though....Time to dump those pans...
    Main PC: AMD FX-9590 / 16gb DDR3 2400 / AMD R9 290X @ 1100 Core & 1350mhz Mem / Win7 Pro 64bit
    Laptop: HP-Compaq nc8430/ Intel CoreDuo T2400 / 2gb DDR2 667/ Ati x1600 / WinXP Pro 32bit

Blog Entries
    Yes, as Solid Snake and I have pointed out, polytetrafluoroethylene releases plenty of nasty chemicals when heated, especially beyond 500F.

Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia
    "Teflon flu" or "fluoropolymer fever" is a common term for the flu-like symptoms caused by exposure to fumes produced by overheated Teflon coated non-stick pans or through an overheated extruder during the production of fluoropolymer parts, such as extruded cable jacketing, etc. It is not related to influenza in any other way. The symptoms include: chills, headaches and fevers. These same fumes can be lethal to pet birds. Ingestion of Teflon particles may also cause health problems.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teflon_flu

and whatever you do dont keep your birds in your teflon pans
    I get all my News from FNC and right blogs, so I know I am fair and balanced.

Blog Entries
    Woot, well either I just went over and checked out the pans once again. It turns out we don't have teflon, thankfully.... I could have swore we had some sort of non stick pan though. Must have got rid of them though.

Real gangstas sip on Yacc jkrohn's Avatar
    I could have swore we had some sort of non stick pan though. Must have got rid of them though.
    There are plenty of pans that act non-stick without teflon and are black to boot. Both cast iron and anodized aluminum are non stick if used correctly and are safe at high temperatures.

Jkrohn
    Signatures blow hard
    If your signature contains an ad of any kind, congratulations, you're on my ignore list.

Blog Entries
    Cast iron is generally my preferred pan type, although I have some anodized aluminum as well. Cast iron is a little higher maintenance, but I think it cooks and sears much nicer, just season it properly to avoid pitting, rust, and to make it nonstick. Both of which can be cooled with water without worry.

I avoid teflon pans, I find them more difficult to cook with and to clean.

yea, it will worp, slowly... but before you know it, you wont be able to put the pan down without it wabbleing back and forth a little.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What is 10 and 5 added together?

Thread Information